Reading - Collective Reading of Kongou Banchou by SUZUKI Nakaba | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Reading Collective Reading of Kongou Banchou by SUZUKI Nakaba

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Nice to have you here k-dom!!!

That's a good word for 'cliche': virus. You should be right about the coming back of one of those Banchous. I would go with the pretty one Shirobara, tho he's not much powerful, it seems; I enjoy those ridiculous characters. Isn't that another shounen virus: the protagonist does things in a way that convert his rivals to the god side? Is 4.75 a price or some code for time :hmm? And how much for the volumes?

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

wow, I read your post on NnT thread and also this one, and I mixed the 'virus' topic, lol.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
4.75 because Hikyo story is not completely finished :-)
btw I'm not sure that the mangaka office omake was scanlated so here is a quick photo I took of it

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Volume 3 is awesome! I'll wait tomorrow to post my thoughts.

Ninja_Pirate

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
India
After reading volume 1 and 2 , I would say the arcs were pretty simple and the one not to put much brain into .. The protagonist..Akira Kongou is too overpowered and puny tricks were used to make him went through difficult situations... What Interest me is where Akira Kongou came from and what is his nature... I wonder if he is no human ..

Plot wise also its a simple manga ..not complicated at all and fun to read... However I would like to see at least some progress with types of attacks from Kongou... Only after two volumes it seems like he was using double hammer from ever (reminds me of luffy's armament bazooka :p) .. Variation of Banchou's is good .. and I saw in between one advertisement to submit designs for Banchous, looks like the manga was quite reader interactive ... but I wonder if we will get to see a bonchou stronger than the protagonist and if yes will the protagonist character grow in power... Though I think protagonist growing in power is not author's style (as can also be seen in Nanatsu No Taizai) and author works around already established power levels...

starting volume 3 now..

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Anyway it seems Akira is also worried about the habits and lack of principles reigning in the current times. So I guess the main difference between Akira and the people from the project is about how to reform and change the people:
I am not sure that Akira is worried about that ..He only stated the foundation/basis of the 23 district project.... the main motive of his is to stop the 23 district project (don't know for what reason exactly) ..He never showed any interest in reforming of society .. However later in volume 2 he did acknowledge being called Kongou “banchou”..

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I am not sure that Akira is worried about that ..He only stated the foundation/basis of the 23 district project.... the main motive of his is to stop the 23 district project (don't know for what reason exactly) ..He never showed any interest in reforming of society .. However later in volume 2 he did acknowledge being called Kongou “banchou”..
True. He worries when somneone say I'm lazy' or when someone is not following his/her owns principles, and easily can try to help. But he's not reformists, like it happens with the guys from the project. (I wonder about what positive intentions Akira has :hmm. I mean we knoe his negative intentions, namely, to destroy the project).

_____________________________________​

According to the schedule:
Thread opened for comments on Vol 3 and 4.

Last edited:

takneeque

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
India
well,i am just at the beginning of second volume(haven't had the time to read...*sigh*)..from what i have read,i feel the manga is quite fast paced and quite basic in plot structure...loved the art in some pages though...very surreal(lonely kind) of detailing in some panels...very beautiful...
MC looks kind of lame to me right now....hope he gets some depth as the story progresses.....only one banchou has been defeated til what i read...and the fight panels were very good in my opinion(i read just one piece ...)....hope it gets more interesting....will read the other comments and review properly as i catchup to the schedule...not impressed till now but it's been only 7-8 chapters...so,let's see..

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
AKira didn't disappoint me, he can hit a girl! And Sasori banchou is my favorite Banchou so far, I like her technique. The extra confirmed my thoughts, she was Akira's strongest opponent, being able to exchange blows with him like that:hip. It seems Sakura is falling for Akira, not that I am surprised but I found it's too brutal, with all that action we can't really see their relation grow, I prefer Tsukimi anyway. The chapter with Akira and that pudding was funny and emotional. And of course I must mention that Rai is a badass.

We finally know who's the big bad and a little more about the Kongo family, now that I think about it I never wondered how he learnt that, I guess I was too focused on the action. The 5 Banchous near the end are the ones drawn by the readers right? I really liked to see the Banchous who were beaten coming for help. This volume is my favorite so far.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
The 5 Banchous near the end are the ones drawn by the readers right? I really liked to see the Banchous who were beaten coming for help. This volume is my favorite so far.
I can't follow you. You mean this guys? What drawings you refer to?

this is also a school life manga!!

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Comparing Nanatsu and Kongou, I can't but conjecture about a possible development intentionally aimed by Susuki. While NnT has a much more complex and deep plot, likely it has less humour than KB, being comedy one central feature of Kongou. With all the references to King Arthur stories and character's names, you can see clearly, the author has searched Arthurian Legends and also some of Catholic doctrine about the seven sins. To use ancient myths or folk tales as reference, and write a story as a variation or as story inspired or partially related to it, should be a good strategy to to enrich and make complex certain plot. So you can but think that he went from a rather simple and light story like Kongou to a bigger try and more complex one like Nanatsu, and that that search about The Arthurian Legends helped him to go ahead with it.

I go in chapter 32.

Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
No I am talking about the Five Dark Vows. I remember they asked to draw some Banchous in previous volumes. In vol 3 we can see this. Bakunetsu, Douke and Kabuki Banchous have been "canonized".

I complete volume 4. The introduction of the Banchous in their new school is just hilarious, Touya really shined in this volume with his timidity and his honor.

The series is getting better and better, the fights are crazy and I was surprised a lot of times. Akiyama obviously won via blackmailing and treachery nothing surprising, Kobushi's fight was good but the 2 others were the best. The bishounen from your sig finally made his apparition, never thought it was Nenchaku Banchou... Raionji is here for comic relief now, and that role suits him very well.

The biggest surprise of the volume was Douke Banchou. Two women:XD, respect for Touya, he really is a righteous man, he casually sliced his own eyes, I knew he was honorable but this action completely was over the top:hip.

The fight between the 2 leaders promise to be interesting. I don't see much similarities with KB and NNT but I can't help but Hikyou Banchou makes me think to Ban sometimes.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Well I expected that some of them would join the good side but not ALL. At least that part was a surprise. Now we have a tournament in the most classical shonen way. The fight were quite entertaining, with some very unexpected twists. But the mangaka doesn't really care about realism, so the bigger the better.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
My notes on vol 3 and 4

About Akira’s family arc

Another hero betrayed by his father!!!!!

So the plot is not that simple as we thought earlier. Kongou family is behind the project. We saw that Takeshi abandoned his son Kai and his wife Aiko, who was the leader of scorpions. Was being part of the scorpions, a step in the plan followed by Takeshi and the Kongou family to be able to make the whole project? … Scorpion style in Takeshi’s fingers should be hurt, I guess.

Now, since the father regrets the fact that the son has feelings of consideration for others sure the mother should be a saint. I wonder if we will see her ahead. Anyway, we have bigger hints about what are the Kongou. The reference to the Unit 731 was unexpected to me in a manga so light like this; anyway it seems the father is the ultimate result of the Yatagarasu project, the predecessor of the 23 district project, a project to create the strongest leader-warrior.

Yatagarasu (eight span crow) is in many mythologies a three legged crow:

Very much like the tattoos of the Banchous, who has a many legged crow or bird next to another tattoo which is a symbol of the power of the respective Banchou. (Btw, what is that tattoo of Takeshi?):

---

About the battle between the five dark vows vs the ex-Banchou I just can say is pure entertainment!!! Good action, good character development, good comedy (even the manga cliches are object of parody there). Iai was the better to me. I really like the double pages with the poetry and the blows!

No I am talking about the Five Dark Vows. I remember they asked to draw some Banchous in previous volumes. In vol 3 we can see this. Bakunetsu, Douke and Kabuki Banchous have been "canonized".
Ahh. Were those drawn for the readers? I didn't know that. (You wrote 'drawn by the readers')

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
(Btw, what is that tattoo of Takeshi?):
You need to revise your geography ukimix :-))

And the banchou are really drawn by the readers. It's similar to Usopp's galery in One Piece. There are drawing contests all the time in mangas. So Nakaba used some of his readers idea for character design. I didn't notice it at first. Thanks Demonspeed for pointing it.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
You need to revise your geography ukimix :-))

And the banchou are really drawn by the readers. It's similar to Usopp's galery in One Piece. There are drawing contests all the time in mangas. So Nakaba used some of his readers idea for character design. I didn't notice it at first. Thanks Demonspeed for pointing it.
Ahhh, its Japan! :rofl It makes sense....

Wow. Then it's nice the author takes in account the drawings of the readers to develop his characters. Nice you noticed it, Demonspeed. ;)

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

Douke Banchou is nice character. Honestly when Yoruko and Asako were revealed in front of Touya's saint eyes, I was waiting for some boob's smashing technique or something. But they didn't take exploited their obvious advantage, (Touya would have faint is they take of their tops). I wonder if the fan in whose drawing the character was inspired also drew Yoruko and Asako. If not he should have to have a really gOOd surprise.

---------- Post added October 21, 2013 at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was October 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM ----------

According to the schedule:
Thread opened for comments on Vol 5 and 6.

Woa! Akira is like Jesuschrist. He converts everyone to his side. Better than Luffy on that!

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

If it's ok with you, I propose to read up to chapter 57 (2 more than the agreed amount), given than the arc ends on that chapter.

This was great great arc. To me Machine Banchou's is the best up to now. It had great action but also certainly it managed to moved me. The general plot is gradually enriched; with the apparition of new important characters and more mysteries about Akira, the Kongou and the Banchou.

---------- Post added October 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was October 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM ----------

Ok guys, how are you liking these volumes?

I share my overall impressions on volumes 5 and 6

The interaction between Machine Banchou and Tsukimi was really nice and well managed by the author. The Machine Banchou’s arc is the first arc in which the parody and comedy element is not as present as before, and instead we have some good drama. Machine Banchou’s feelings and questions about life and death were believable and his final moment with Tsukimi gets to move me.

On the other hand, I was wondering if all of this banchou nick name was invented inside the project, but it’s more like the Kongou family has taken some advantage of that tradition for their project. But judging by the words of the carer of Goukiri, it seems, again, the banchou really is a venerable tradition, just like the gangster beaten in the first chapter said.

Goukir’s carer is very interesting character. He knows much about Akira, and also about the project. With him the world building is big, since we don’t know yet the story behind him and his relationship with Akira. When I read the Goukiri arc she surprised me because she easily accepted her mistakes by herself. She didn’t need Akira’s express intervention on her behaviour or her principles to see that what she was doing was wrong. I wonder if she and her family doesn’t belong to that tradition of the truly Banchou. Likely some banchous belongs to that tradition and other ones are just dangerous and powerful fighters ‘recruited’ for the project.

In regards to it, the chapter in which we see Akira’s father was also very telling. While Takeshi worries a lot about Akira's progress, his father barely pays attention to it. It's hinted now that possible fact that the whole project is a farce, likely used by the father only to win the control over Japan with Government approval. There is also a relationship of mutual convenience between the Kongou and the Government, being the money the benefit earned by the Government. But still it's not clear to me why the Kongou, being that greatly wealthy and that physical powerful needs to develop a project to be able to rule Japan.

Good action, consistent and intriguing character development. Nice volumes.

Last edited:

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
The way the guy in the middle was drawn reminds me of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Hi Faust!!!

The abs make them alike. I guess Hikio Banchou, (the masked one in the pic) is more alike to Jojo, than Akira (the big one in the middle). Have you read Kongou Banchou? If not and if you have the time, it would be nice if you join us :^_^

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I had some worries on how the author would deal with the resurrection of Kongoh but the author managed to make a perfect explanation :
That remind me a post I wrote in the One Piece section on how people should sometime read manga less seriously. Here Suzuki doesn't pretend. And the crazy road goes exponentially with these two volumes (Father and son discussion in chapter 41 is quite memorable).

There are also quite good quotations in these two volumes. I especially like the end of chapter 38 but the French translation is more funny than the scan.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I had some worries on how the author would deal with the resurrection of Kongoh but the author managed to make a perfect explanation :
That remind me a post I wrote in the One Piece section on how people should sometime read manga less seriously. Here Suzuki doesn't pretend. And the crazy road goes exponentially with these two volumes (Father and son discussion in chapter 41 is quite memorable).

There are also quite good quotations in these two volumes. I especially like the end of chapter 38 but the French translation is more funny than the scan.
Totally yes. In the page you quote, the explanation works for the purpose of the story, not to satisfy the reader who wants to keep the story as realistic as possible even in regards to what seems impossible to the realistic eyes: his heart stopped for a day but he's alive. And even if an explanation will come later, I bet it won't be as good as the one you quote, and it wont' be a realistic one.

That realistic way of read sure has many adepts. In short is the same when Violet tells her vision power can see all that happens in a circle of 4000 km radius. People make a ruckus of it, and in the basis, it lays the simple and flawed belief that 1 km in OP world = 1 km between us. If people were asked: “do you believe that equation is true?”, they would see there is nothing to complain about, and that Oda simply wanted to say: she can see far far away.

Now Susuki is really an skilled author, and a master of comedy. The whole scene when the robots ask why Akira is alive after being with out vital signs during a day, and the explanation could be seen also as a parody of the realistic way of reading a manga. Also you can see how he adds quasi-scientific explanations (like the hyperion constitution) and other references to Confusio, etc... that you don’t know if you have to take seriously or not. Finally there is no innocence and instead some irony in the fact that some characters of his manga complain or gets surprised about how their lives are alike to those you can find in a manga (here and there is other much more telling quote, but I couldn’t find it.) In the end, his sense of humour is so damn playful that is like if he were joking also with the reader.

k-dom, taking advantage that you have French version, can you tell us what does it says in the bottom-middle panel of this page? Also English's scans has a lot of text in the margins, is it the same in French? If so, what are those texts about?

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
The second bubble says something like " his muscles have grown spectacularly".
The margin texts are advertisements from the magazine in general.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Thread opened for comments on Vol 7 and 8.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, I am hopelessly behind :XD Currently at chapter 21 and feeling pretty damn bored, so far the manga is way below the quality of NnT to me :( Not sure if I even feel like continuing, I don't have a big amount of time on my hands anyway, and I really lack the motivation to continue atm, because of the rather average quality. Any motivating words from the guys who read ahead? Does it get any better? Am I the only one who still feels/felt rather bored after the first 21 chapters?