Reading - Collective Reading of Planetes by Makoto Yukimura | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Reading Collective Reading of Planetes by Makoto Yukimura

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I kinda agree the title is lacking something. As for the terrorist issue that was resolved rather awkwardly, the space war is a bit superficial. The theme comes a bit out of nowhere and is quickly resolved without that we understand full well the consequences.
As for Hachi last message he is indeed a bit dull.
On the good side, the theme of the space debris was original and I liked the mix of slice of life and science fiction which is something quite rare. There are some interesting themes introduced which may have needed a longer serie to be fully appreciated.

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
At first it felt weird because all the support staff/comany was missing in the original, which added some good filler in the animated version, also Hoshino is clearly the MC in here.
I was watching the anime, but I got a bit dissapointed when I saw Tanabe is already in the first episode. I don't like her much, because I feel his character a bit plain an uninteresting. I was wondering if the director of the anime version gave her much more credit than Yukimura in his manga.

ErosVp

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Finshed late. Reading Planetes again was cool. I like how the author does the drama but Hachimaki's philosophic stupidity was a bit too much, the parts like Fee's uncle shined though....

What will be next?

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Finshed late. Reading Planetes again was cool. I like how the author does the drama but Hachimaki's philosophic stupidity was a bit too much, the parts like Fee's uncle shined though....

What will be next?
We could begin a new reading next friday, if that is ok with everyone. I suppose it should be one of the most voted. Let's give these days to see if someone else want to comment or discuss Planetes. There havent' been much comments on it. I would like to ask how did you feel with what we are doing. Is there any suggestion about how could this be improved?

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I thought I could have completed it yesterday but I was busy.I just finished vol 2.The 3 first chapters were good but it became better starting from the 4th chapter.Actually,I have a problem with Hachi's characterization.In the first chapters he seemed a little afraid of space and after he became just like his brother.I found also Tanabe a little annoying when they were attacked, seriously why did she kiss him in such a situation?(It was a kiss right?).

If I have time I will complete the 2 last volumes today.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I thought I could have completed it yesterday but I was busy.I just finished vol 2.The 3 first chapters were good but it became better starting from the 4th chapter.Actually,I have a problem with Hachi's characterization.In the first chapters he seemed a little afraid of space and after he became just like his brother.I found also Tanabe a little annoying when they were attacked, seriously why did she kiss him in such a situation?(It was a kiss right?).

If I have time I will complete the 2 last volumes today.
It was a melodramatic kiss... and with powerful effects if you see the kiss had such an impact on SDF group that they stopped their activities. It's a week point in the plot to me. ... so, a melodramatic and unintelligible kiss.

TheMoa

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I was very on a trip without connection last week so I couldn't finish the last volume yet
I'll do this over the weekend

Mr. Arashi

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Shit, it isn't in Batoto.:gwah

Just when i ended reading one of two mangas.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Shit, it isn't in Batoto.:gwah

Just when i ended reading one of two mangas.
It's in mangareaders, and in mangatraders you can download the complete volumes. :-)

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Completed volume 3.I loved Tanabe's backstory.I foud the manga is easier to read.I wonder what does the cat symbolize? An alien? A soul reaper,or another form of Hachi's subconscious?

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Completed volume 3.I loved Tanabe's backstory.I foud the manga is easier to read.I wonder what does the cat symbolize? An alien? A soul reaper,or another form of Hachi's subconscious?
It seems to impersonate some kind of wisdom. All I can say before you end vol 4.

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I just completed vol.4 but I don't really get it...

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I just completed vol.4 but I don't really get it...
Welcome to the club :) If you want to read about it, I have posted above a review available in the web, and I did my own critics mainly related to the "mystical message". But I really liked Fii. She is just great!

The SDF resignation was a complete failure to me. It took the comic from a realistic slice of life to a mystical message by the author. But Fii oh FIIIIIIIII :celebrate

Last edited: