Reading - Collective Reading of Samidare and the Biscuit Hammer by Satoshi Mizukami | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Reading Collective Reading of Samidare and the Biscuit Hammer by Satoshi Mizukami

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I'll have to reread the vol 2. Given your comments, -which I do trust-, and given that it's Mizukami, I think I must be missing something in this volume... because up to now, I did not see anything great and only one of two nice things. The author dedicates must of the pages to what I'd call a seinen development of the characters, much more than to a shounen type. It's something that I like, but right now I have the feeling that without a second reading I'll be missing important features of all this displayed character development. I'll catch up you guys in the vol 3.

conn-man

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Alrighty then, volume 2, Shinonome Hangetsu has made his entrance as the second beast knight.

Hangetsu brings a lot with him and plays many roles in everyone lives. To me the biggest and the most important role it that of the teacher. In chapter 8 he quickly shows Yuuhi and Sami that they are both completely lacking in strength and experience. Earlier in the chapter however he offers his Ally of Justice business card. This to me was him showing Sami and Yuuhi that he had a service to provide them and that was not only to be a beast knight but also to teach them the proper path.

All of this is best seen in Ch 11 after Yuuhi, Hangetsu and Hisame have their night of drinking.
This page says it all. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/wakusei_no_samidare/v02/c011/20.html
I've learned a lot myself personally from this line summarized as, An adults job is to show children that life is a great thing. And in doing so it will also make life all the greater for the adult.
Also the beginning of Ch 13 with the the conversation between Hangetsu and Sami's father continues to enforce this philosophy.

Chapters 13, 14, and 15 all transition from a happier mood to a much more emotionally gripping style.
We learn of Hangetsus hero, Noko. Learning about what happened to Noko made my eyes wet.

Also we go full circle from what I had said about Hangetsu wanting to show Yuuhi the right path. He reveals that he has known all along that Yuuhi and Sami have ulterior motives. Hangetsu tells Yuuhi that he must become stronger than himself and be Sami's hero. My interpretation, 'Find the strength to see that your goal is wrong and to pull the princess from this goal as well while showing her the right path'. If Yuuhi can do this, he will truly have become Sami's hero by correcting her wrong.

The fifth golem arrives and Hangetsus death comes fast and when we least expect it. With his death comes his final lesson to Yuuhi, a real life example of a heroic sacrifice. As he dies and initiates Ludo to grant his wish, he see's his hero, Noko, and is able to finally say that he is the same kind of hero. He dies happy and my eyes become wet again.

Everyone who Hangetsu met and influenced mourn him in their own way but the person who I feel the worst for was Hisame. She barley had time to fall in love with Hangetsu but it is clear that he had left a lasting impression on her as she cries and tells Yuuhi she will continue to tell him and Sami that the life of an adult is fun. Once again, my eyes become wet.

So, Hangetsu brought quite a lot with him and gave even more. He was a short lived character who shined when the story was still small, even becoming forgettable as the plot carries on and many more events unfold. But to me Hangetsus influence on Yuuhi resonates through out the rest of the story.

EDIT: the last page of volume 2 also summarizes everything perfectly
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/wakusei_no_samidare/v02/c016/24.html

Last edited:

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
All of this is best seen in Ch 11 after Yuuhi, Hangetsu and Hisame have their night of drinking.
This page says it all. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/wakusei_no_samidare/v02/c011/20.html
I've learned a lot myself personally from this line summarized as, An adults job is to show children that life is a great thing. And in doing so it will also make life all the greater for the adult.
Also the beginning of Ch 13 with the the conversation between Hangetsu and Sami's father continues to enforce this philosophy.

[...]

EDIT: the last page of volume 2 also summarizes everything perfectly
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/wakusei_no_samidare/v02/c016/24.html
Thanks a ton for enlighten me!!! :verily .. That first page you quoted is pure gold! It also teaches me about life, since it shows me under a different light things about which I have been thinking from time to time. Today it's very common to find parents who are afraid of their children. That's not the case if Shinonome is the father.

... Domo arigato!!!! :worship

So did you guys read volume 2. I guess you must have been quite shocked.
I don't want to spoil too much in case you didn't but one of the page of chapter 15 is one of my favourite so far. So much emotion on this panel.
I'm so curious... what is that you like from chapter 15?

Last edited:

conn-man

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for enjoying my post! After the fact I felt like it was very wordy and with way to many verbs..but I'm glad you guys read through it easily.

As I said Hangetsu brought a great emotional stir for me. I hate that he's gone but he wouldn't have been as great otherwise.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Oh I thought I was the last one reading on v2...

People need to tag series with character deaths or something, after getting excited by Hangetsu and all that he brought to the table with the Ally of Justice stuff to see him removed rather quickly (it all happened in litrally just two panels, could have been much longer than that), was a bit too much and rather unexpected.
I thought a bit like you but after reading your post I realize that there isn't really a lot of death that last long. Especially in battle manga they are supposed to be of a few seconds aren't there ? And I'm afraid this manga won't be easy on our feelings.
I'm so curious... what is that you like from chapter 15?
It's this page :

I thought about putting it in the one page recommendation thread but that would have been my second crying girl. And as conn-man said, Hisame is the character you feel the most pain for. She isn't even part of the battle so she has not even that explanation to consolate her.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought a bit like you but after reading your post I realize that there isn't really a lot of death that last long. Especially in battle manga they are supposed to be of a few seconds aren't there ? And I'm afraid this manga won't be easy on our feelings.
Oh I had forgotten for a bit that this was seinen so usually manga in that demographic treat death insignificantly. In any event, I guess Ill hold from getting attached to even the Crow Knight now, but he is just so well done thus far in his introduction and somehow through his joking it almost felt as if he did have some sad feelings about the death.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I wouldn't call this death insignificant. And I wouldn't blame it on the demographic but Mizukami writing style. It's not fundamentaly different from his other works which are shounen...

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I was thinking this was shounen, (because of the destruction and salvation of the world topic), and, when I read the first 2 volumes, I had different expectation, one that didn't match the story. It was like: "Now lets see the actions..." and they didn't come but only more and more talk about the meaning of life etc... Now I see this is a different story; and sure each volume has significant deaths, the first one with Yuhi's grandfather and the second with Hangetsu, makes me expect a whole different development of the story.

The story has an interesting mixture of magic, salvation/destruction of the world and mainly psychological development and somehow slice of life of the characters... To me this last feature is more present and takes much more of the pages than the formers. Being similar, it's not exactly the same than with Sengoku Yoku, for instance, in which the balance is in favour of the magic and the action.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I just reread first chapter of volume 3 and it is so funny. Just the 2 first pages are hilarious. Good way to forget volume 2 end was so sad.

---------- Post added December 06, 2013 at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was December 02, 2013 at 09:54 PM ----------

I noticed that the preface by the author is not in the Edited Manga. Here is a tentative of translation of volume 2 which goes well with its theme so its quite interesting to have it :
"When do we quit childhood for becoming an adult ? Generally a manga character less than 20 will consider every guy older than him an adult. To be young is proof of vitality and health. But in our society, to be 20 makes you unexperimented.
The world is big and the path to become an adult is long. To be adult is it to be able to earn money and to buy all the toys we dreamt of as a kid ? Or is that a sign of immaturity ?
Indeed, When do we quit childhood for becoming an adult ? The truth must be elsewhere."

And as he says himself the one of volume 3 has nothing to do with the story so it saves me the effort of translating it...
I hope you did like it. Hangetsu brother Mikazuki stoles a bit the show in that one. He is quite some character I must say.
Also I loved when a mangaka used the book medium when he write his story. The parallels of chapter 20 are really nice to read. I'm not sure they would have that much impact with an animation.
It ends with a full cast of new characters and a big bad guy who doesn't really look like one.

conn-man

Reaction score
Country
United States
So what does everybody think of the full beast knights?

I think they make up a great family dynamic. Nagumo as the father, Shimaki as the uncle, etc. Hangetsu would have filled an older brother role but now Yuuhi and Mikazuki share that. I enjoy how fast the bonding happens in the story.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I found that they don't really look like heroes and with lot's of kids. So I'm curious how everything will go.

conn-man

Reaction score
Country
United States
The kids are a interesting addition, no age is safe from the knights selection process. Speaking of that I hope to get a better grasp in this second read on why people are choosen to be knights.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel bad for falling behind but its the final week of classes, and such, guess Ill read the two volumes next week and hopefully get caught back up.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I can wait more time if conn-man agrees. I will just say that the next volume was once again wonderfully written and with really nice surprises.

conn-man

Reaction score
Country
United States
...I cheated a little bit. I'm on vol 5 now but I'll post about 3 and/or 4 very soon. And I'll wait for everyone to catch up now.

We also are missing a few readers it seems.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I'm a little behind by I hope to catch up soon. I found this new which I copy from Duralumin blog:

EIGHT NEW LICENSES FOR SEVEN SEAS!
(LOS ANGELES, December 9, 2013) Seven Seas Entertainment is pleased to confirm a number of fan-favorite manga series coming to its roster in 2014. There is something for everyone in Seven Seas’ new lineup, including a brand-new gender-bender take on Alice…
A little more information about Seven Seas’ release of Biscuit Hammer. Long post, so I’ll copy and paste:
"Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer will be released in 2-in-1 omnibus format starting in Fall 2014, with the first omnibus being released in November 2014, and the second omnibus following in February 2015"
(Feel free to click through and explore the other licenses but that and a plot summary is all that’s written on L&BH)
Here the full text, but it contains a review of the whole manga. The interesting part for possible buyers is the one bolded above.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
French volume 10 is out this week and it is awarded best volume of the week by manga-news redaction :-)

conn-man

Reaction score
Country
United States
French volume 10 is out this week and it is awarded best volume of the week by manga-news redaction :-)
I cant find any thing when I search 'manga news redaction'. Is there a logical internet reason for this?

conn-man

Reaction score
Country
United States
I cant read french but it was interesting to see non the less. Is that sold as a hard copy? I would love to own a hard copy of this series but I dont know if it will go up for North American print.