Discussion - Compilation of the true history and facts about giants | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Compilation of the true history and facts about giants

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, the story seems pretty convoluted by now and even though it does seem like mysteries will be revealed shortly we still lack a lot of information.

I was thinking we could build a thread where members would link facts then I or a mod would add them to the OP and we could little by little gather all the relevant data concerning the parts of the plot we don't know about. Mainly I would like to compile the following:

Information on titans, their origins and their nature
Information about history of the manga and events concerning the overall plot (so far it seems a decent bit of what we know about history is made out of lies)
Hints about who the enemy really is(I get the feeling that we should already be able to at least grasp who the enemy really is, I just can't put my finger on it).

We could add a few topics to compile information on later on.

Now, the purpose of the thread would not be to just gather information but also to discuss it. I am of the idea that having every relevant piece of data readily available in the OP could help us get a better picture of what is going on here. I would love to get started this second but I really can't. I am hoping to get started tonight.

Another thing which I would like to be able to put here is information about Norse mythology relevant to the symbolism seen in the manga. I myself am not very familiar with Norse mythology so I would find this particularly useful. for example, linking the wikipedia page to castle utgard could be useful. Of course better sources are encourage, specially if they help us get some perspective of what is going on in the manga.

Hopefully tonight I will be able to add some stuff to the OP and with the help of everyone we can gather as many facts as possible. If anyone has any thoughts about other information we could compile information on I am more than open to suggestions.

List of contributors:
kkck
ImmortalZodd
Utsune
Demonspeed
Bandreus

Last edited:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I think this is a brilliant idea kkck, I love it. Definitely using the full potential of our forum!

Sorry for sounding audacious, just want to input some small ideas:

In terms of presenting the information, I think when compiling the evidence, short bullet points will do the trick. In doing so, everything is easier to read/find. This also makes it much easier to compile/sort/write in the long run!

Regarding the thread, I wonder what is the best way to discuss the information. Going by the three suggested topics (History, Titans, Enemy,) discussion under the same thread could turn out pretty messy and difficult to navigate through. Not only so, the first few posts usually decide the topic of discussion and hence discourage the other topics until the current conversation die down.

While making 3 separate threads might start off tidily, they are destined to crossover at some point. Nonetheless, this will definitely promote discussion equally over the three topics, and discussion could gravitate back towards their original topic much easier.

In the latter case, maybe having a really informative first post as reference for each of the three threads will be much easier to sort/find/talk?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Bullets are certainly the easiest way to classify information here. I was thinking along the lines of that too. My idea was to have bullets for different points and levels so to speak and have each one give a brief description of a fact presented in the manga (not interpretations of the facts and no more than a line). For instance:

Now, as for having 3 threads, I think that might be a future step depending on how this one turns out. If we gather enough facts on each topic then perhaps it would make more sense. Right now I would honestly rather focus on gathering facts and hints regarding the story and its plot.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Ah right I see. Yeah I was wondering if I had misunderstood you ^^;

So basically a chronology-type of list of significant events referencing sources? I agree that should be the best way to go about it!

I can definitely help out whenever I find the time, especially when classes are finally finished!

ImmortalZodd

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia

So here's a bit to get things started. Not sure about year of Ilse's expedition. Hanji said it was last year, but I'm not sure when was the expedition in which Hanji and Levi found the journal.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Thanks for the contributions. :)

Just a note though, mangareader is not available in many countries, in particular the united states. For some readers this would be a bit of an inconvenient. It is preferable to use mangapanda when possible, I will make changes to what already is in the OP as soon as I can to fix this.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Thanks for the contributions. :)

Just a note though, mangareader is not available in many countries, in particular the united states. For some readers this would be a bit of an inconvenient. It is preferable to use mangapanda when possible, I will make changes to what already is in the OP as soon as I can to fix this.

Ah I have no idea! Good idea, thanks for the note :)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, just added a few more things and changed the links so that they would open mangapanda pages. Keep information coming!

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I was thinking of adding references of annie and reyner calling themselves warriors. I know where the references are however I am not entirely sure of where to add them in the list. I think this is relevant because it relates to their culture in regards to how they fight and deal with situation. They are warriors, not soldiers, I think this is extremely relevant(in particular to reyner being mentally unstable).

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Reiner and Bertolt said they were warriors in the last chapter but not Annie. And I don't think you should add them.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Annie said she was a warrior well before current chapters although unlike R&B she has only said it once.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Added this:
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/44
Ymir saves reiner and berholt as kids.

Bandreus

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I was thinking of adding references of annie and reyner calling themselves warriors. I know where the references are however I am not entirely sure of where to add them in the list. I think this is relevant because it relates to their culture in regards to how they fight and deal with situation. They are warriors, not soldiers, I think this is extremely relevant(in particular to reyner being mentally unstable).
Since, in light of the latest facts, this seem to be extremely relevant info, I think you should add those references.

I guess adding a new section about Factions in SnK's world would work best. R&B&A all seem to be from the same Faction (warriors, or w/e), while it's pretty much clear Ymir isn't.

Also, there's the whole thing about the True Enemy, which I think is major enough to be mentioned as well.

EDIT: oh I noticed, under the History of the SnK World and specific plots/events spoiler, this event is listed
ymr saves reyner and berholt as kids

like, "saves"? are you sure? It looks more like Ymir was feasting on a friend of theirs. Also, by judging how they look scared as fuck in the following page, I have a hard time believing R&B consider Ymir as having saved them in any possible way.

Change that to "Ymir is shown devouring one of Reiner's and Bertholdt's friends in their childhood memories" or maybe "It's revealed Reiner and Bertholdt already met with Ymir in her Titan form when they were still kids" if you want to keep it more neutral-opinion oriented.

Last edited:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Interesting. Annie says "I'm a failure as a warrior" there when they're imploring her to come underground (into the dark). In the latest chapter, Reiner says there are some titans who are active at night, and looks to Ymir as someone who should know that very well already. I suppose all warriors are expected to be able to fight in the dark then. After all, we've seen Reiner and Bert do so in recent chapters, I believe... *goes to check*

*edit*
Actually it's dawn in chapter 42 (look at the sky) from what I can tell...
Still not a time when most titans are likely active though, since it was apparently safe enough for them to run to the giant forest between walls Rose and Maria.

Last edited:

dabrickmaster

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wouldn't it be easier to put all these facts in something like Google Docs or a Wiki?

Anyways, as for other facts I've noticed:

- The currently known Titan Shifters except Ymir (Annie, Reiner, Bert, Eren) have German names. Historia Reiss also seems to be a German name.

There is, however, possibility that Annie, Reiner and Bert falsified their names just like Historia who's currently under alias Christa​

- Some titans (Annie and the titans in wall) are capable of covering themselves over with an extremely hard material.

It seems to me like this is a form of hibernation, and some real life animals like water bears are capable of going into a similar defensive hibernating state for decades and then reactivate when conditions are better​

- Ape Titan didn't know what 3D gear tech is and didn't know that humans were aware of titans' weak point.

Bandreus

Reaction score
Country
Italy
- The currently known Titan Shifters except Ymir (Annie, Reiner, Bert, Eren) have German names. Historia Reiss also seems to be a German name.
I'd like to point out it's not just Titan-Shifters. In fact the vast majority of the characters in SnK all have German (or otherwise Northern European) names/surnames, all down to minor characters from the main cast.

A few examples: Eren Jaeger, Mikasa Ackerman, Armin Arlert, Jean Kirstein, Connie Springer, Sasha Blaus, Thomas Wagner, Millius Zermusky, Erwin Smith, Ilse Langner, Auruo Bossard, Gunter Schultz.

So I guess no meaningful info can be derived from the origin of the characters' names other than the author simply decided to go for those kind of names.

Otherwise one would think ALL characters in SnK are Titan-Shifters in disguise. Which wouldn't be THAT far from a possible truth either, now that I think of it LOL xD

dabrickmaster

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I thought Mikasa was a Japanese name, and they did say she was an Orient.

Now I realize that vast majority of names are German, but then there's some names like Ymir and Rivaille sounds French. Then there's Hanji and Keiji which are also Oriental names.

But point is, overall the fact wasn't supposed to suggest something ridiculous like "ALL characters in SnK are Titan-Shifters in disguise" but to suggest that there is probably something really significant or relevance of the races in the SnK world which could help in understanding what the world was like before/after or inside/outside the Walls. I mean we learn that in each of the villages within the walls, there's a lot of different kinds of people and cultures. You got mountaineers, you got Sasha's hunting people, the religious wall cult, Ymir's people, the Orients, etc. In fact I think that the fact that the vast majority of the people within the walls are German says something important about what happened 100 years or multiple centuries ago.