Feedback - Conversation Alerts | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Feedback Conversation Alerts

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hey, so, like... having an email alert for every message in a conversation is kind of a giant pain in the ass. Some people send multiple messages in a conversation, and this translates to getting multiple emails. In the site, all of those messages show up as one alert, but on email, every alert gets an email.

Just now some dude messaged me one thing but separated it into five messages, and it totally crowded my mailbox.

Unfortunately, there's no way to turn off email notification for individual messages. (you can only turn it off for ALL conversations)

I believe, ideally, there should be an option to receive notifications for the first message in a chat (i.e. when a new conversation is started), but not for subsequent ones.

Alternatively, you could group extra message into the same message, similarly to how double posts are handled: if a new post is made close in time to a previous post, they get merged. This would be a very good thing to work into the messages, and then the "merged" post would not trigger a message.

Well, it's just my feedback, but that's all I wanted to say. Previously, email alerts of private messages were one of the most important features on the site for me, since I frequent the amateur manga forum and use private messages to communicate with authors/artists and job/project offers, but now I don't want to leave it on because the "conversation" model encourages multiple short messages rather than large texts, and getting an email notification for each one is... a giant pain.

That's just my opinion, though. Time will tell if more people have a problem with this?

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
As long as there're two participants in a convo, the system works exactly like before, I guess the main problem here is that another member is spamming your inbox which can only be solved by asking that member to pay more attention to that. What you're suggesting isn't an easy task but if we come across an add-on that provides similar features, we can consider installing it.

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
I don't think you understood my point.

I realize that it works exactly like the PM system before: the problem is that it doesn't present itself in the same way. The format (and name) of a "conversation" encourages IM-like behavior. Users treat PMs very differently from a format the presents itself as a casual conversation.

where a private message might have been more like an Email and would not be sent frequently by a reasonable person, this conversation format facilitates the sending of multiple small messages.

that's why I said time will tell if it becomes a problem, because I'm sure more people are going to be acting similarly to the one who messaged me. Again, the format encourages it. As I said, time will tell if it becomes a problem.

Last edited: