Theory - Crack Theories! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Crack Theories!

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
What can I say, this is the place to post your crack theories you've had about D.Gray-man!

These are for all the theories you've decided upon in your head, that may have very little physical evidence in the actual manga itself. They could be just for fun, or they could be convictions you take seriously.

I'll go first:

Theory Name: Road is the Author Avatar

Explanation: She loves Allen, but also love to see him in pain. She started out quite androgynous looking(we didn't know her gender), but has become more feminine and more daring as time went on. Her greatest strength is mind-screwing people. Who am I talking about? Both, Hoshino Katsura and Road Camelot, of course. :derp

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'll give it a shot. :)

Theory Name: Crown Clown is in the process of becoming another Apocryphos.

Explanation: Little things here and there point to Innocence being sentient: it chooses its own accommodator (like a wand choosing a wizard in Harry Potter) and can sense how its exorcist is feeling. The Apo-chan we know and love is more advanced since it acts as a human in disguise, and yet, it's still classified as an Innocence. The story deals with the evolution of Akuma so why not have the opposite and have Innocence evolving? We do have that with Lenalee & Kanda's crystallized Innocence, but I like to think that the Apocryphos is what happens when you go one step further.

The feathers sprouting out of Crown Clown is a sign that its evolving, and the fact that it's not listening to Allen implies that it's beginning to form its own will. My theory will surely be debunked in a few months time (after all it is a crack theory), but I sincerely hope this will actually happen- I'd love to see a creepy Apocryphos-like creature squeezed out from Allen's left arm.

Mango-chan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Theory: All of Hoshino's stories take place in the same universe, and that's how there's so much advanced technology in D.Gray-man.

The sequence is Kaiten, Continue, Zone, D.Gray-man.
In Kaiten, either the Earl or first innocence accommodator is the big baddie, it's hard nail to place. The heroes are people who can tap into Noah's genes without being consumed by memories. In Continue these people become known as zombies with company of author avatars. The protagonist does not kill the Earl, but manages to steer humanity back on track and in the clear a while longer at the cost of modern conveniences/technology. This is how Zone now fits the bill of being next in line and happens soon after what could be called the Zombie period, and they have transferred their special abilities and author avatars into innocence crystals. Robin fights the Earl with Abaddon and wins, and the three days of darkness happen and D.Gray-man begins.

Sorry for any typos, I'm on my phone. : D

unknownymous

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Crack theories, right? Right?

This is just a lol moment for me since I just wrote a fic about this on ff.net and because this is in a way crack. But here:

The Theory: Kanda might be secretly/unconsciously fond of Allen since the day they met.

Not implying anything by saying this, but you can interpret the words anyway you like. :teehee

Explanation: I remember reading from the first character book (the one with the education levels. I really can't say much more) that one of Kanda's hobbies- favorite past time? Or was it in the 'Likes' section? - is gardening.

Remembering that, I went "Hey, whadya know? He calls Allen a plant!" and my imagination went haywire. That's all I can really say.

Mango-chan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got hit by the silliest crack idea ever reading the omakes from Volume 22. :derp

Theory: Apocryphos is Link's materialized desire for Allen to eat less meat and more vegetables.

Explanation: The supporting evidence is microscopic I'll admit, but you shouldn't underestimate a Crow's determination to get a growing boy to eat his vegetables!
In short, Link's desire for Allen to have a more balanced diet triggered an innocence to act independently and rid Allen of the 14th in hopes of clearing his intense love for all things meaty.
Because you see, Cross was killed to set an example, and his "mistake" was introducing "Allen" to such a horrible soul staining diet. (he thought it would be fine because Allen was Red when they met) But Apocryphos believes no one can be pure without living life eating ultra-vegan and organic and such a mistake is worthy of execution.

And many years after the war ends Apocryphos will found the Vegan Police.

capricorn

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
You must be insane LOL! What could have trigerred such a twisted theory.

Bloody Queen

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Okay, after reading the omake(s) of the recent volumes (and still trying to hold back my giggles) I made a completely random theory...

Theory: Earl and Allen are neko(s).

Explanation: We could see that in ch. 203 and ch. 212 that the Earl and Allen's pupils are like cat slits. And Hoshino adores cats... Put two and two together, you get a meaningless theory... :teehee

Man, I hope see will draw Allen with cat's ears soon... :blai And Kanda! And Lavi! Oh, plus Tyki! *is fangirling*

Last edited:

Mango-chan

Reaction score
Country
United States
You must be insane LOL! What could have trigerred such a twisted theory.
The world may never know the true source of crack theories. :lmao

@Bloody Queen: You're onto something big here, especially with Allen. Not only has he been drawn with tiger ears in Noche, but he also fell asleep with a pile of books once during the HQ move that turned into a zombie movie.

Later I'm going to edit in another crack theory that's hit me. D:

Theory: The Earl is an ancient alien, and so is the heart.
Picture it, year XXXX, in an alternate universe...... at a place.
Ancient Alien Adam (AKA Mr. Millennium Earl, the baddest baddie in the lands), arrives on planet earth and thinks "by golly gosh, I could create many strange creatures and rule them all from a great distance!" and so life begins. But people don't appreciate his good deed of creating like, everything but the actual planet and he gets jealous of all these people worshiping some other fancy man in the sky that isn't in a really cool cube with a fancy city of portals and endless black pits inside.
As time moves forward like sands in an hourglass, he eventually finds out some other moochy ancient alien now is stealing his groove and taking credit on his great fashion sense by riding the coattails of this other man in the sky, it goes by "the heart" (AKA, that mysterious assumed crystal ruler of everything supernatural and crystal-like). Competing affections comes to a peak after centuries of boiling animosities... colleagues are made, metaphorical cannons are getting loading and splines are reticulating .... a war was shaping, and humanity and every creature living by that time kinda forgot their planet's fate was in the hands of aliens. So they shrugged and dubbed it a holy war.

Supporting evidence:
*The Earl is really really old, like, has no known origin old, but Hoshino dabbled in the idea of moonbase!Earl in Continue.
*Adam has been seen with slitted pupils, you know what else has slitted pupils? Reptiles, and reptilian people are aliens according to that television show V.
*The ark is a UFO-thingy that defies the laws of physics.
*Some innocence fragments are confirmed to be humanoid and it innocence currently has no known origin. Assistance is given to carefully chosen people who will be granted supernatural power in exchange for blind loyalty like little worker bees. That's suspicious.

Last edited:

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
Reaction score
Country
United States
Theory Name: True Meaning of the Holy War - Veganism
Explanation: In the volume 23 extra, we see that the Cardinal is a vegetarian, eating vegan food. He turned out to be Apocryphos, a special Innocence bent on protecting the Heart. But we saw Tyki eating carp, a Noah. Thus what the Holy War is about is a disagreement over eating vegetarian or eating meat. The 14th was special because he was formed by the Earl's secret longing for vegetables.

Bloody Queen

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well, I remember seeing this absolutely hilarious theory somewhere on DGD (which has disappeared...) and looks like people have forgotten them, so, let me re-post it! I don't recall the entire thing clearly, though...

Theory: The Allen/Crown Clown/Apocryphos Love Triangle

Explanation: The whole Apocryphos trying to absorb CC (Crown Clown) thingy is because he's jealous of Allen for getting CC's attention and concern all the time... so, he decide to stalk Allen and find the right moment to get CC back to his side...

Explanation 2: In this one, Allen is the insecure girlfriend. Well, he's been pretty naive, especially in Alma's Arc. Like when CC's trying to protect him from the Akuma-fied Tokusa by slashing on Tokusa, Allen said the he'll kill himself if CC attacks... so, CC has enough of his insecurity and martyr complex and decide to leave him for Apocryphos...

Hmm... that doesn't look like a crack anymore... :worrybunny

Teeba

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
^ I remember that one. :lmao Dementia, Crisp and I wrote it together, somehow. xD

Theory: Allen is female-to-male transsexual

Explanation: Well, Hoshino talks about it a lot. She talked about how Robin was female, and how she had to transition from writing a female protagonist to writing a male hero.

Personally, I think Hoshino likes her male characters on the androgynous side. More often than not, akuma are the opposite gender that they should be (its hinted that Eliade had the soul of the man who called her back). Kanda's long hair and physical appearance was to originally suggest that his soul was the reincarnation of his female lover. Later she scrapped the idea and came up with Alma Karma...who was a boy with the soul of a woman who used to love Kanda. It was Almas's own body dysmorphia that tore him apart, and the same is happening to Allen, only its in reverse.

Allen is a girl who wants to be a man -- but the price of that is to let the 14th take control of his body. The transition from girl to boy explains why Allen's weapon changed from armor to the sword. Of course they complement each other, but for a while Allen loved using Crown Clown. Its only when he realized using it helps the 14th that he's been more hesitant and used his claw/cloak instead.

Bloody Queen

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
^ Nyahaha, I think she just want to put some BL elements, but since DGM is mainly shounen, the editor will whack her on the head not-so-gently if she inserted too much hints. The amount of fan-services for girls (i.e.: shirtless boys, pretty boys, etc...) is much more pointed out than those big breast and panties-shots.

Girly... Tyki's fabulous long hair... WHY?! When Road is back, she's gonna stab you with her candles for cutting that gorgeous hair!

Bloomerwedgies

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Another (hopefully small) hiatus! What to do...I know! Think too much about stuff. Insert hand-to-chin "hrrrmmm" thinky face here.
Theory(I'm positive lots of folks have hrrrrmmmed about this too): Allen wasn't born with that Innocence (and therefore, probably wasn't abandoned because of his arm, either). It was acquired. I don't think it's his own arm. I'm calling it Crack since since whenever it's mentioned in universe, it's implied that he's had it since birth. Methinks we're being misdirected and here's why.
Explanation: I mean...how would that even work?! Warning: stop reading if you're squicked out by biology/farmyard matters, or if you are from a country like mine in which children are taught in school that babies are the result of prayer--or prayer failure--and you don't want to have the magic shattered.

Hi, I'm an Innocence bit. I've been shown several times to be either A.) about the size of a single die and some sort of crystal, so I'm not going to be all softly-cornered, or B.) a big freaky monster that may or may not have a head or wings--hence, I'm way too big to fit through any of your tiny human reproductive tubes, so forget about the idea of me being somehow part of one of the two itty bitty cells you guys require to generate a kid. And I'm just going to hang around inertly in some non-exorcist's uterus waiting to latch on to (and not fatally deform or squash somehow) some future infant who will, of course, be compatible. DESPITE ALL ODDS

HEY WAIT...perhaps not, because of reasons. Like tubes and parts and things. Come on everyone--we all know about the downstairs business. How would it even. I know, I know, it's all made of magic and powers and stuff, but I'm skeptical. Allen says he was born with it and abandoned, but we've also been told he has no memory of his life before the age of seven, so how would he know? He could have been told those things, but who did the telling? None of the other characters have been shown to have known him before he was seven.
And--
None of the other parasite types were born with innocence, none we've heard of anyway, so if there's a precedent, I guess Allen would be it.
Krory: acquired in adulthood. Thanks, Cross.
Timothy: acquired in childhood. Thanks, jerk dad.
Klaud: acquired at some point. I don't think she was born with that magic monkey--and neither do you, admit it.
And--
Since the author has shown a fondness for the chopping off of/transplantation of arms in her other works--from which themes and elements are most definitely carried over--it seems reasonable that such a thing could show up again. An experiment, possibly. The arm has been shown to act without Allen's control or consent and sometimes, when he isn't even conscious or mobile. And we're all familiar with the Order's ability to make you forget things they don't want you to remember.

For some intangible reason, I can let a limb transplant in the nineteenth century fly with little comment, since we're dealing with sorcery and a magical/otherworldly substance and practitioners of arcane and forbidden occult arts; a little kid being experimented on in such a fashion and somehow escaping (or being hidden in plain sight); and witchcraftery involving memory erasure. Yet, I somehow am really not buying that a baby could be born with it already attached, funny as that may sound. Guess I drew a line for myself there. I will suspend my disbelief thus far--and no further! *laughs at own ridiculousness*

georisell

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll give this a shot since I have a ton of crack theories
Theory: Tyki is Road and Neah's secret love child

Explanation: Other than the Earl, Road was the only one to not be killed by Neah. It's also fairly obvious that Road cared for neah and he for her. She still looks fond when she speaks of him, and still remembers a lot about him, while he left her alive. This, plus the fact that she doesn't treat any of the others too closely except for Tyki and The Earl, means that she has a soft spot for them. Now to back up the son part, only she and wisely have both mentioned that Tyki looks an awful lot like Neah.

cundohoi

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Hey, I have this one 8D

Theory: Innocence is a kind of... drug.

Explanation: Okay, I was editing chapter 7 (I'm in a translation group) and there was this part where Komui explaining about Innocence to Allen. And then, the article Hoshino used for that part...
(Warning: ...inappropriate content? lol)
I couldn't help it. xD

Not to mention that... there's this Apo guy... (he's a Innocence, remember?)
http://mangafox.me/manga/d_gray_man/v22/c203/3.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/d_gray_man/v22/c203/4.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/d_gray_man/v22/c204/10.html
(Oh hey. We've got a rapist over there.)

So,
Innocence = a kind of drug (and using Innocence = getting high? xD).

relory

Reaction score
Country
Norway
^ Oh my god lol I love that one! xD I actually had to check the raw if it was real, and then I actually found a part of that article Hoshino must have used (from 1990! O.o); "Drug Abusers Under 45 Have High Stroke Risk". It's so funny, because in the same panel, Komui says "What was contained in the message was a saying from long ago... it was an instruction on how to use this substance." I feel really bad for saying this, but it would actually be hilarious if Allen suddenly had a stroke and just died like that :derp

I shall provide further evidence on that crack-theory of yours :hip Remember Suman? Well, he certainly looked like a drug addict, didn't he? :teehee yeeeah... On a more serious note, I genuinely believe the Exorcist experiments were "inspired by" the horrible drug- and electroshock-experiments of the CIA in the 1960s :gwah

And apo-chan is a rapist! That's not even a crack theory!! It's FACT dammit!!! :arf:arf
I kinda want a motivational poster that says something like "In D.Gray-man, innocence rapes YOU." x'D
Ahh, rape jokes, always so classy :cheez

NAM61

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
my crack theory is that allen is a angel that was sent by god to destroy both the innocence and the noahs. because the noahs are bad and the exorcist/innocence thing they are doing what god wants and have done some bad things. that when allen was sent to earth the 14th somehow added his memories to the angel or made a deal. crack i know

Last edited:

hopeandlight

Reaction score
Country
United States
Going on the theory that, the innocence of Allen and Lenalee are make up the Heart because of the inverted dreams: Crowned Clown and Dark Boots fuse into Dark Crowned Clown Boots aka the Heart. Dark Crowned Clown Boots then fuse with Timcampy, who is not dead, in his original form, the monster on the cover of chapter 4. Tim turns into an organic mecha with the sword of exorcism in his hand. Tim also gets his arm back ,since Allen's red arm is actually borrowed from Tim. The Earl pilots Lero, his giant pumpkin-colored organic (but don't eat it) mecha. Earl is defeated and the Noahs leave the human bodies they possess. Everyone, but the Noah, live happily ever after.

The Apocryphos is actually a teenage innocence, who has no idea what the Heart wants. He wanted to act as the body of the Heart, uniting with Allen and Crowned Clown and than Lenalee and Dark Boots. The Heart beats the crap out of him and he ask for forgiveness. Naturally, Apo is forgiven, since he's a minor as far as innocence go.

The Earl is actually one of the pre-flood humans who worshiped a god who supported Darwinism. This god approved of the Earl's plan to kill all the other humans, besides those from his family, and use their souls to increase their power, so that they can prevent the other god from pulling them to the afterlife when they die. The Earl's god helps them by flooding the world, killing everyone not in the Noah's Arc, which he also helps them make.Their plan is a success. The other god thinks this is evil, so blesses the survivors with innocence. The Noah Nea, a unwilling member, betrays the Earl and wields the heart. The Earl is defeated and most Noah are killed.

Soul are actually made of memories, so as humans gain memories, souls increase in power and size. Humans also multiply, so the number of individual souls speed up this process. Whenever a Noah is killed, like after the flood, his extra souls are stripped from him. The Earl tries to solve this problem by creating Level 4 Akuma, with mushed up souls, for easy absorption. Unfortunately, as humans fruitfully multiply, their collective mass of souls gain in power and size, and it is only a matter of time before the Noah are overwhelmed. The Earl's only hope is to destroy the Heart, who is seriously good at hiding. The Noah percentage of the world's souls is actually constantly decreasing as humans multiply and gain experience. Yes, the Earl's actually in deep doodoo, because the innocence draw on the of the world's souls that made it to heaven. Actually, the Earl's already in deep doodoo. Nea was able to off the Noah one by one last time, despite the Noah being stronger as a whole, because apparently he was still family. Yeah and the mushed up souls collected by the Level Four go to every Noah through that piano room with the creepy giant baby in the arc because the Earl is confident ( refuses to believe) Nea will never return to his side.

---------- Post added June 09, 2014 at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was June 01, 2014 at 09:54 AM ----------

Ardeaon Ily

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Explanation: Other than the Earl, Road was the only one to not be killed by Neah. It's also fairly obvious that Road cared for neah and he for her. She still looks fond when she speaks of him, and still remembers a lot about him, while he left her alive. This, plus the fact that she doesn't treat any of the others too closely except for Tyki and The Earl, means that she has a soft spot for them. Now to back up the son part, only she and wisely have both mentioned that Tyki looks an awful lot like Neah.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I've got similar theory,too. However theres some unclear points about it, like the age-difference. But I had a solution with that.
Exp.:Tyki said that he's in the clan for over a decade(10yrs) and his age assumption at 25-26y/o.Supposing,Noahs aging process slows when they're awaken,thus 25+10=35 years, goes back when Nea's alive

Cat Sidhe26

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I've got similar theory,too. However theres some unclear points about it, like the age-difference. But I had a solution with that.
Exp.:Tyki said that he's in the clan for over a decade(10yrs) and his age assumption at 25-26y/o.Supposing,Noahs aging process slows when they're awaken,thus 25+10=35 years, goes back when Nea's alive
Well I remembering reading somewhere that the Noahs do in fact age slowly. I can’t post it right now since I’m on my phone and I’m to lazy right now to do so.
--- Double Post Merged, ---