Science - Cure for Aging, coming soon? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Science Cure for Aging, coming soon?

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
So this is a click bait sort of video from Joe Scott - talking about the recent advancements related aging.
Thought it was interesting so I decided to share here, enjoy!

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Many figures in the old testament lived to be 200 to 900 years old.

That could be a normal lifespan for a human in perfect balance with nature.

The bible claims the land became polluted and tainted. Which it claims led to reduced lifespan.

It is acknowledged that fertility rates in rural regions are higher. In contrast to city fertility rates. Due to cities having greater light, noise and assorted pollution.

There could be some truth to these claims which can be verified by statistics.

Cryogenic freezing is something I think about when I put food in a microwave.

Its hard to get everything to heat at the same rate.

Which I think translates to attempts to create a legit thawing and warming process post cryogenic freeze.

That's a good list he has there. Fasting and calorie reductions are good.

Rebooting genetic process might be difficult as the genetic code of a person tends to degrade over time.

I think its been said that every cell in the body is replaced roughly every 6 years. That could make it hard to find an older copy of genetic material that is less damaged.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I imagine that curing aging without a way to get rid of heavy metals which otherwise inevitably accumulate in the body is a bad idea. You'd be an immortal potato by 160... give or take however many years.....

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
I imagine that curing aging without a way to get rid of heavy metals which otherwise inevitably accumulate in the body is a bad idea. You'd be an immortal potato by 160... give or take however many years.....
You got a good point. I can only imagine the improvements to the quality of life with said toxins out of the body.

Franckie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Even with current advancements, I highly doubt humans can survive past ~120 years. And I'm not entirely sure it's a good thing with issues like dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Dying "younger" may in fact be a blessing in disguise considering what everyone has to go through.

In the long run, I just don't see the human race surviving. Rather, our future robot overlords will be our "descendants" who'll go on to revolutionize space flight, and who knows, possibly even traveling to other universes.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I wonder what motivations future robots could have to master space flight...

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Perhaps not master per-se but helpful in doing mundane or repetitive work will be useful for us as the 'master race'.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

New research finds that turtles in the wild age slowly and have long lifespans, and identifies several species that essentially don’t age at all.

Good commentary on the topic.

:cookiehand

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Researchers have restored1 circulation and cellular activity in the vital organs of pigs, such as the heart and brain, one hour after the animals died. The research challenges the idea that cardiac death — which occurs when blood circulation and oxygenation stops — is irreversible, and raises ethical questions about the definition of death. The work follows 2019 experiments2 by the same scientists in which they revived the disembodied brains of pigs four hours after the animals died, calling into question the idea that brain death is final.

Not sure about this.

:cookiestare

SonOfDaws

Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
As far as I can tell, most animals that live in captivity outlive their wildlife counterparts, but as far as I can tell, most people wouldn't consider the opportunity to live in a zoo to be much of a blessing.

Regardless, the human body is a blessing but also a tool: The goodness that comes from it is in large part dependent on what is done with it and, if we're looking at Biblical wisdom, then we have to coincide that humanity will inevitably accumulate errors over time until catastrophic physical death is brought about. Instances of societies and even most of the world reaching such a point are repeatedly talked about throughout the Bible and the written story of the Bible even ends with the physical death of the world as we know it.

Generally speaking, we should be striving for improved health and lifespan, but the skin on one's own back isn't the most important thing in the world.

If death is accepted as an inevitably, then the goodness in life will come easier.