Voting Round 2 - D.Gray-man vs. Nanatsu no Taizai | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 2 D.Gray-man vs. Nanatsu no Taizai

Who wins?

• D.Gray-man

• Nanatsu no Taizai

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aonori

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
DGM wins this the fact it has hiatus involved honestly is just a bonus way to ensure the author has more time to think about the next chaps being released which overall should increase the quality of the series as a whole (not too sure on the thoughts about the author himself though), with Taizai and many other mangas the weekly chap release can end up leading to a early decline of the series´s quality, it happens a lot in shonen and honestly ever since the hundred chap mark was reached I´m having the impression Nakaba wasnt entirely prepared to make it last longer.

People need to start reconsider de hiatus logic, yes it´s bad that the viewer wont be getting the next chap quickly but sometimes it´s better than certain mangakakas (like Hiro cough* cough*) who sometimes do more than one chapter release per week, only to release cheap tasteless writting chaps.
And there were also instances where other weekly SJ mangakakas (like Kishimoto ), downright admitted they were making most of the respective series plot weekly as it went along, for those authors a hiatus would definitely give improvements to the next chap releases.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Too unfair :pout
Where are dgm fans !!!!!!!!!!!
D-gray man has some Fma vibes, maybe because both are written by a woman and have some similar topic like "transgression"/sin imo art is great, story great too, characters are well written and there's Marian Cross ♥
dgm deserve to win this match jsut because of him

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Finally, people campaigning for DGM.

@Skylent Your post is long and I can see that you love the manga but it can be summarized in a few lines. Basically, you are saying that all characters are great and unique, same for the plot. I like what you said about the world building but besides that I don't find the rest very credible. All you are saying is that people should vote for it because it's a good manga. I don't see how it stands out compared to NNT.

DGM wins this the fact it has hiatus involved honestly is just a bonus way to ensure the author has more time to think about the next chaps being released which overall should increase the quality of the series as a whole (not too sure on the thoughts about the author himself though), with Taizai and many other mangas the weekly chap release can end up leading to a early decline of the series´s quality, it happens a lot in shonen and honestly ever since the hundred chap mark was reached I´m having the impression Nakaba wasnt entirely prepared to make it last longer.

People need to start reconsider de hiatus logic, yes it´s bad that the viewer wont be getting the next chap quickly but sometimes it´s better than certain mangakakas (like Hiro cough* cough*) who sometimes do more than one chapter release per week, only to release cheap tasteless writting chaps.
And there were also instances where other weekly SJ mangakakas (like Kishimoto ), downright admitted they were making most of the respective series plot weekly as it went along, for those authors a hiatus would definitely give improvements to the next chap releases.
Are you saying that all series with hiatuses are better than manga with chapters released weekly/monthly?

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Didn't DGM have a hiatus, and come back with a 7 page chapter? :lmao

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Erin, you are in the way again!

Instavote for D-gray man, it's WAY better than NNT , because it has more depth, a better story and better art .:cookiehand :pjsaltw
Not because I'm salty:invalid
We all know that oppai are the main criterion to you when it's about a nomination other than your own :nah. There is someone in DGM with bigger boobs than Diane and Matrona, that's it? :-_-

Aizen

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know much about D Gray Man and no one really promoted it. Can't do much right now.

You voted for OPM in the previous round! You can't tell me you find it more mature than Vinland, can you?
That is very different to me, OPM is a parody series that is literally making fun of a set demographic of manga/superhero comics. Vinland is only more mature than every series like it compared to comedy. In this case, you got two similar manga, and I believe DGM sets a bit higher bar in some ways.

Temperance

The Red Spear
Reaction score
Country
France
Erin, you are in the way again!

We all know that oppai are the main criterion to you when it's about a nomination other than your own :nah. There is someone in DGM with bigger boobs than Diane and Matrona, that's it? :-_-
DGM don't even need boobs to win again NNT:kappa:pjsalt:pjsalt

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Finally, people campaigning for DGM.

@Skylent Your post is long and I can see that you love the manga but it can be summarized in a few lines. Basically, you are saying that all characters are great and unique, same for the plot. I like what you said about the world building but besides that I don't find the rest very credible. All you are saying is that people should vote for it because it's a good manga. I don't see how it stands out compared to NNT.

Are you saying that all series with hiatuses are better than manga with chapters released weekly/monthly?
Depends on the series in question, I do agree that hiatuses should provide more effective changes in chaps released weekly, since it gives the author a lot of time to think about what to make. Monthly it depends, I dont think it would affect it as much, a month for a chap is a more reasonable time for the author to work around.

And there´s also the factor of whats the series gonna be about, and if there was a period of pre-work for the setting of the series in question required, before the said series is released (Ohtaka did this with magi (she went on trips) and many other authors use research based on historical facts to enrich the setting in series like VInland Saga and Kingdom for instance). Then there´s also the point of the authors who already envisioned most of the journey and the end point, way beforehand (Oda), for those I dont think they would need any hiatuses to improve on what they release (except when a health issue comes along), or when there is a change in world by timeskip for instance, in those cases hiatuses are better to ensure the author has time to think twice before setting up the changes (Ohtaka made a hiatus after Kou Civil war arc for example).

The hiatus is just like anyother thing a mangakaka can do involving their work, something quite positive if done at the right time and that can effectively make their future work better, many mangakakas start their series with a low chap length planed and once the raise in popularity comes for the series, in those cases, a hiatus could also prove itself good, it can give them the time to devise how exactly will they adapt the plot to last more chaps, with more time, to think about it, than if on regular schedule and dont get me wrong, editors can also have some good opinions on that, but the mangakaka should make a effort to also think about those things, more throughly if provided with more time. Overloaded with work mangakakas will either need a great passion for their work to make it shine under most of the work conditions (that Araki level greatness people) or they will have a harder time producing good work, thats it and this is one of the reasons why so many series have plot holes, mainly due to lack of time being provided for the mangakaka to think before making the panels.

And just a example, of having more time for making chaps increasing the quality of a series, just look at Jojo part 7, easily the best jojo part of all times, after Araki quit SJ and went monthly.

Last edited:

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
But is the release pace part of the quality of the manga? Are we deciding based on the author's productivity or is it "manga wars" where we only judge based on the manga itself irregardless of the outside parameters?
I like to think that a work should be judged by its own, only based on the final product rather than how many people wrote it, how long did it tale, how much money was involved or whatever.

Well, I did a general post to promote the manga , and I didn't want to look antagonizing by directly comparing it point by point to its opponent.
But IMO, except maybe the expanded universe (lots of races with specificities and places in seven deadly sins), DGM stands up above nanatsu in every. single. Category.

And I think the category in which it transcends the most is the writing of relationships.
Oh I forgot this pic in my previous post regarding feels:

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I actually don't think hiatuses should matter at all here. I mean we are talking pure quality, not how often the manga is released. I suppose for many the schedule and rate something gets released can be a factor to be fair. This is coming from a massive Berserk fan though, so take it with a grain of salt. :XD I have probably an unusual amount of patience in this form, considering the tiny amount of content I expect to get each year. All in all, I think these types of things should be about the experience, and how good that was. I even go as far as to say something that is unfinished, as long as it is amazing through out and left an impression on me, can still be brilliant. Though, I don't expect that is a popular opinion generally and is far from absolute even in my eyes.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
D.Gray-man once was one of my fav manga... then Hoshino got sick and returned with monthly chaps... and then it went massively downhill. It's been a pure trainwreck since then, and the irregular releases nowadays aren't helping either. I still care about it to some extent, but I just can't give it my vote :/

I don't think Nanatsu is particularly outstanding either (sorry Demon) but at least it managed to stay entertaining and funny until now. And it has Escanor, so it gets my vote.

MArGi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
France
I haven't read either and don't really want to read either tbh. I like DGM's artstyle and synopsis better though so my vote goes to DGM.

And besides,
D Gray man bc ♥

I still have a soft spot for redheads :blush

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I love NNT, but DGM is my fave manga ever. <3

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
For those who didn't see it I posted this about NNT in the first round. I will post more later in this round. The fact that I know almost nothing about DGM doesn't help.

That is very different to me, OPM is a parody series that is literally making fun of a set demographic of manga/superhero comics. Vinland is only more mature than every series like it compared to comedy. In this case, you got two similar manga, and I believe DGM sets a bit higher bar in some ways.
I personally don't see OPM as a parody. The gag about Saitama was at its core and there is lot of comedy but the hero system and stuff are treated seriously.I think it's a bit like Gintama in a way.

D.Gray-man once was one of my fav manga... then Hoshino got sick and returned with monthly chaps... and then it went massively downhill. It's been a pure trainwreck since then, and the irregular releases nowadays aren't helping either. I still care about it to some extent, but I just can't give it my vote :/

I don't think Nanatsu is particularly outstanding either (sorry Demon) but at least it managed to stay entertaining and funny until now. And it has Escanor, so it gets my vote.
As long as I have your vote...

Depends on the series in question, I do agree that hiatuses should provide more effective changes in chaps released weekly, since it gives the author a lot of time to think about what to make. Monthly it depends, I dont think it would affect it as much, a month for a chap is a more reasonable time for the author to work around.

And there´s also the factor of whats the series gonna be about, and if there was a period of pre-work for the setting of the series in question required, before the said series is released (Ohtaka did this with magi (she went on trips) and many other authors use research based on historical facts to enrich the setting in series like VInland Saga and Kingdom for instance). Then there´s also the point of the authors who already envisioned most of the journey and the end point, way beforehand (Oda), for those I dont think they would need any hiatuses to improve on what they release (except when a health issue comes along), or when there is a change in world by timeskip for instance, in those cases hiatuses are better to ensure the author has time to think twice before setting up the changes (Ohtaka made a hiatus after Kou Civil war arc for example).

The hiatus is just like anyother thing a mangakaka can do involving their work, something quite positive if done at the right time and that can effectively make their future work better, many mangakakas start their series with a low chap length planed and once the raise in popularity comes for the series, in those cases, a hiatus could also prove itself good, it can give them the time to devise how exactly will they adapt the plot to last more chaps, with more time, to think about it, than if on regular schedule and dont get me wrong, editors can also have some good opinions on that, but the mangakaka should make a effort to also think about those things, more throughly if provided with more time. Overloaded with work mangakakas will either need a great passion for their work to make it shine under most of the work conditions (that Araki level greatness people) or they will have a harder time producing good work, thats it and this is one of the reasons why so many series have plot holes, mainly due to lack of time being provided for the mangakaka to think before making the panels.

And just a example, of having more time for making chaps increasing the quality of a series, just look at Jojo part 7, easily the best jojo part of all times, after Araki quit SJ and went monthly.
Personally I find BT and SO better. SBR is good, but I don't think the writing is better. The theme and setting were different and there was more focus on the two MCs and their growth compared to the other parts with Stands. JoJo is very formulaic but Araki manages to do something interesting thanks to the setting and characters. I find that JoJolion stands out though because it is also a mystery. Hiatus or not, it doesn't matter to me anyway but I find several weekly chapters better than some which are published monthly.

Dunno1978

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
Dr. Stone didn't manage to win?! Insta-vote for D-Gray Man! Because it's inspired in the most intriguing mysteries of the humanity's history! My favorite subject to talk about! (And I want NNT to lose!)

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I remember D. Gray Man. I loved it a lot. Then it went on hiatus and I completely forgot about it. I don't even know where the hell I left off.

Nanatsu no Taizai gets my vote. And not just because I live in that forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.