Shounen - Dai Dark (by Q Hayashida) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Dai Dark (by Q Hayashida)

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Yea, Gessan is shounen. Dorohedoro went there in the end. I think it's fine shounen for the story, but Hayashida's gore was lit (and she draws boobs well, just sayin). The art was great again in this though, minus a bit of blood/guts etc (partly due to Zaha Sanko's axe ability).

A little more exposition-heavy than Doro, but this is a new manga so pretty happy to see how it unfolds.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
@Brandish i knew you would read it as were a huge fan of dorehodoro :zomg , i never get to read Dorehodoro but it has been recommended to me a couple of times, i was keeping an eye on Hayashida new manga coz was looking for a new translation project as some of my currents ones are about to end. I hadnt read it yet but i skimmed through the 2 chapters out so far, the art is awesome, love it ♥ i have to admit i was surprised how gory it was for a shonen (i even checked twice the mag target audience :p) i realized by the way that karakai is serialized there too, might have a look at it too

does it have a connection with dorehodoro or its a totally unrelated ? (asking bc art seem very similar for someone who has never read dorehodoro)

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
You didn't tag me Erin :emocat

But anyway a character on the cover look exactly like Shin from Dorohedoro.(or similar to it).

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
does it have a connection with dorehodoro or its a totally unrelated ? (asking bc art seem very similar for someone who has never read dorehodoro)
No, well not from what I can tell. I'm happy the gothic/hellish designs are kept : )

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
I got the summary from Mangarock
  • "Zaha Sanko is a mysterious man who roams space alongside a package of darkness
  • Clad in cult-like garb, his powers resemble a grim reaper to the various aliens that oppose him
  • A space odyssey with a quirky but enigmatic person who holds the flesh of darkness"
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

@Venom another space adventure you might like.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
oh chap 3 is out, i like the off-the-wall/grotesque kind of humour/tone slightly present in the series so far, associated with Hayashida art.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
It's okay for now, a bit heavy on the info dumping. I'll stick with it to see how it goes.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I'll stick with it to see how it goes.
Just to add to this, I mean for at least 2 volumes. Even with the exposition it's not stuffy, and it's fun enough too.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

This chapter was pretty funny. Shimada is awesome (much like Chidaruma was in Dorohedoro). This is what I expect from the series and will happily continue with it atm.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
This chapter was pretty funny. Shimada is awesome (much like Chidaruma was in Dorohedoro). This is what I expect from the series and will happily continue with it atm.
Same, just caught up to the last chapter released (5) still enjoyable and fun but still somehow weird too, no idea where this is going, :teehee some slight hints are given regarding Mc motives/goals though.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Chap 6 was funny too. And there's the end with what seems to be a villain, who wants Sanko, Avakian and Shimada dead, plus another person named Hajime; so a plot is starting up.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
chap 6 to 8

still nice amount of humor and quirkiness, the art is still impressive and so Q-ish. Shimada's still my fave char. hm things start to be interesting.

amazing art, those color pages are just awesome !

Looking forward dorehodoro anime next season, hopefully it will be good.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Enemies who will be recurring are showing themselves now. And there's another dude, Hajime, that we haven't met.

amazing art, those color pages are just awesome !
I love the colours too, especially Shimada's.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Chap 9 just came out, this chap was great, introduction of Damemaru, the last evil 4 , color pages are amazing as usual, i really like Hayashida style she has this special touch that makes her art so unique. So Damemaru is quite in a bad shape (dont even know how he can possibly live lol) .Love the interaction he had with the doc. things took an interesting turn. looking forward next one.

And this recipe part was just so fun, not sure i would enjoy food on their world lol :lmao

"food starts of as apowder" loool :teehee