Quarterfinal - Death Note vs. Berserk | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Quarterfinal Death Note vs. Berserk

Who wins?

• Death Note

• Berserk

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandred

Plan Deviser
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Death Note
Tsugumi Ohba
Takeshi Obata
-
Berserk
Kentarou Miura

Rules- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it
Special Rules- We proudly encourage you to share the best pics of your Manga!
- Earn the possibility to win a badge by being the proudest Mangalover around!

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
This post was made in Amino apps orginally,i changed some parts here and there.

Earlier i talked abour Guts and other themes in Berserk here & here .I will now talk about the main antagonist of Berserk:Griffith.Griffith is probably the most hated antagonist in entire manga history.

グリフィス

Griffith is the main antagonist of Berserk. He is the former leader of a group of mercenaries called the Band of the Hawk and he was given the title of the "White Phoenix General" after their victory of Doldrey. He was a friend of Guts for a majority of Berserk until Guts left him which lead Griffith to forming a hatred towards Guts and later offering him as a sacrifice towards God Hand.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith's earlier past was something he did not care to discuss in casual conversation and for good reason. Griffith was not born into nobility and in fact was as far away from it as possible, he grew up in the slums of a kingdom and was extremely poor in his youth. This is where Griffith developed his thirst for power, he was born into nothing but he knew that he was destined for something greater and wanted nothing but to one day be the one who ruled the land.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith had met a fortune teller who gave him a Behelit and foretold that he would one day obtain his dream. Griffith accepted the gift and kept it with him as proof of the prediction someday coming true. Griffith later belonged to the King of Doldrey in his childhood who took a very extreme liking to Griffith to say the least. Griffith later escaped the king and formed the greatest group of mercenaries in the land, the Band of the Hawk.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith became more and more renowned as the Band of the Hawk claimed more victories over the years throughout various battles as it grew it numbers. However as Griffith grew closer to his dream he came upon a lone mercenary who would later play a key part in his greater destiny, Guts. Griffith immediately wanted to obtain Guts and make him a part of the Band of the Hawk which led them to a dual that would decide Guts' fate. Griffith won the dual and obtained his most valuable troop, they bonded over time and soon Griffith trusted Guts more than any other of his troops.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith had become so renowned by this point that he had been accepted as a knight by the King of Midland and only succeeded in becoming of higher status from this point onwards. After he lead his troops and conquered Doldrey, which had not been conquered for over a hundred years, he was given the title of White Phoenix General. Griffith had become famous in the kingdom but this also meant that he would become a target as well, the other knights who had the same status as Griffith detested him and decided to have him assassinated. Griffith, being the master strategist he is, unraveled their plans and instead had everyone against him, including the Queen and the King's nephew who were both assassinated by Guts.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

His downfall and uprising came soon after as Guts had won back his ownership and had abandoned Griffith. Griffith, in an act of panic, decided to use the princess who had fallen for him to get some form to validate some form of self assurance so he slept with her.The king who soon discovered what had been done to his daughter decided to imprison and torture Griffith for discovering the dark secret the King held. This went on for over a year until Griffith was rescued by Guts and some of the remaining members of the Band of the Hawks. They helped him flee but only drew closer to their deaths as the eclipse began, Griffith used his Behelit to summon God Hand and sacrificed his remaining army to them in order to become a God. Griffith became Femto and ruled with his new powers that he was granted.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith has long pure white hair that is curled at the ends, he has dark blue eyes in the original material and original adaption, but it's later changed in the movies and most recent adaptations to light blue eyes. Griffith has been known for his features being slightly feminine and angelic. Griffith usually wears white clothing when he is attending to other matters outside of combat, but when he is in combat he wears all white armour with a white helmet that resembles the face of a hawk since the face of the helmet is shaped like a hawk's beak.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith's appearance is mainly supposed to parallel towards Guts' appearance since Guts resembles a demonic black knight while Griffith resembles a angelic white knight. The two of them are similar to Yin and Yang in the sense that they are both in balance with each other when they are together but when Guts leaves Griffith then everything becomes chaotic and starts to fall apart.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Despite Griffith's angelic appearance he is actually pitch black on the inside and is capable of looking menacing enough to frighten those in Midland who thought of killing him. After Griffith had become Femto who was one of God Hand, his true nature could now be seen on the outside. Griffith's former mask turned pitch black and he sprouted bat-like wings that shrouded him like a cape, this was accompanied by a black armour-like skin which now surrounded his entire body except for his face.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

When Femto was born, Yin and Yang had now once again become unbalanced and showed to have negative consequences towards Guts who now lived a world infested by demons that would come to attack him each night. Femto lived as a God while Guts was going through this and he showed that he felt no remorse for what he had done to Guts.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith can be very kind and gentle to those who he believes he can use, he is also very persuasive and manipulative as well and has a unquenchable thirst for power. He is also known for being very intense and sometimes terrifying, he's proven throughout countless battles to be extremely strategic and calculative but at the same time very powerful when against a opponent in battle. He is very serious when it comes to forming strategies and combat related issues but outside of combat with his troops he is often very calm and relaxed as if all the problems of the world are something that he could conquer with little effort.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

However, Griffith is truly a hateful and dark hearted person who will sacrifice anything and anyone to obtain the dream he had created for himself. He doesn't see people as people but rather as pieces he can move so that he may be crowned king. He is very intense and unmerciful to anyone who gets in his way and does not care for the status of others if they attempt to get in his way.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith showed how wrathful and unmerciful he can truly be when he became Femto and took revenge upon Guts for abandoning him. He showed that he had no care for anyone in the world after obtaining so much power and simply did not feel anything towards the species he was once part of or towards the comrades he once led.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Band of Hawks

Griffith lead a powerful group of mercenaries called the Band of Hawks which he used to gain reputation throughout the country. They were known as the most powerful group of mercenaries in the country and never lost a single battle they were hired for. They were composed of people that Griffith had gathered or saved as he moved along the country and they were all loyal to him because of it.

Midland Army

Griffith had joined the Midland army as a knight and after the battle for Doldrey which was said to be impossible to claim victory over, he gained the title of White Phoenix General and the Band of the Hawks and was promoted to nobility for their accomplishment. He lead his troops through battles in the name of Midland and continued to prove to be victorious throughout all of them.

God Hand

Griffith joined God Hand by sacrificing all his friends to them and allowed them to be devoured by demons. He gained the new name Femto and transformed into a God with powers that exceeded the standards of humans. He is currently affiliated with God Hand and watches over the world as a supreme being who no longer cares for his past.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith's dream ever since he was a child was to become a king and to rule the country he was raised in. His ambition was endless and he stopped at nothing to obtain power so that he could one day rule the land. He was powerful, intelligent, and a natural born leader, he was the perfect candidate to become King. His mind was twisted around this dream and eventually it consumed him and he soon lost the value of caring for others and was determined to stop at nothing to have his dream come true.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith treated people like objects so he could fulfill his dream, he would claim ownership over people as if they were simple objects and would even murder people as if they were just stepping stones towards him becoming a great ruler. This lead Griffith towards making the choice of sacrificing all of his friends in order to finally get the power he believed he deserved.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith is a extremely strong character when it comes towards fighting. He bested Guts during their first dual and gained ownership over him because of it, however he was too confident in his skills and was not prepared for when Guts had become too strong and swift for him to stop which lead towards him loosing ownership over Guts years later.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith is easily the best strategist in Berserk and it's because of this skill that Griffith had risen so far up in the kingdom. His strategies had won all the battles that he lead and made the Band of the Hawks seem invincible in any battle. Sadly, this lead the Band of the Hawks to becoming lost without his strategies and were easily defeated when they were led into a trap by the kingdom when it used their trust in Griffith against them.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith's weakness was Guts, he put all his trust in Guts and treated him as the most valuable of his troops and as a friend. This is why when Guts left him he was in a weak state of mind and led him towards his darkest hour and towards desperation. Griffith developed a hatred towards Guts over that year he was held captive and eventually he gained tremendous power by discarding Guts and which proved that Guts was a weakness towards himself.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Griffith's original voice actor was Toshiyuki Morikawa in the original Japanese dub of Berserk from 1997. His voice was perfectly matched with Griffith's appearance and personality and really helped to make Griffith's character as great as he was in the original material. Toshiyuki Morikawa is no stranger to playing this type of antagonist and in fact he voice acted Kaname Tousen and Tyki Mikk as well. Overall Toshiyuki Morikawa was the perfect voice actor for Griffith's character and someone who really brought out the true character in Griffith.He also voiced Naraku in Inuyasha and Tykki Mikk in D Gray Man and Yoshikage Kira in Jojo Part 5.He is one of my favourite VA too.,check my MAL.

All the best @GajeelNashi

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I vote Death Note

It isn't the champion we need. But it is the one we deserve.

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
I wasn't expecting this. But since I'm not that busy now...

Here's my campaign from the first round for those that haven't seen it.Campaign

At this point, it's more about which manga you prefer but I'll still give my opinion.The main reason why I chose Death Note is the same as most of the people that really enjoyed the manga. It can hook you like no other manga. As I said during round 1, it's so intense and full of mysteries that you won't be able to stop reading. It's like when you eat chips. Once you eat one, you can't stop yourself(get the reference?:cheez). Even though it's considered a thriller/mystery manga, you can still find some comedy within the pages as the cherry on top. cough Ryuk cough. I highly recommend Death Note to people that have some free time. It's not that long with 108 chapters only and you don't have to wait a full week for the next chapter since it's already completed. If I ask someone what comes to their mind if I say Death Note, they would most likely say the notebook itself or Ryuk. So to finish this presentation, I will leave you with some panels/pictures(mainly Ryuk) from the manga.

Ever wondered how the hell did the story start? It's pretty simple, it's-

@Arjuna you too.

Last edited:

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Death Note is just a sad meme now, voting for Berserk.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Death Note is just a sad meme now, voting for Berserk.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Death Note is awesome, all the way...I loved the N/Mello dynamic too and I had a great time with it and still dabble with it from time to time...

But Berserk is just in another league altogether...say what you will about the pace of new chapters, even individual arcs are a lot better than the entirety of Death Note and yes I include the mermaid arc as well.
Gorgeous art, amazing setting, etc., it has it all and all of it is better

White Rabbit

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Now that's an easy vote... Death Note had an intriguing premise and a very suspenseful sherlock/moriarty-dynamic between Light and L... but it cannot hold up against a narrative Behemoth like Berserk... and I won't even dare to compare the artwork.

Elusia

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Voting for Berserk :awe

Raven

Registored User
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Death note was a good anime but it wasn't the best, I remember in mid way it lost it's charm, I could feel it by getting boring fast every new episode, A similar case to Overlord, It's started good then lost it's charm.

Berzerk is a manga that i just don't like but if Guts got his full revenge on Griffith then i will change my mind.

Voting for Death note

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Death note was a good anime but it wasn't the best, I remember in mid way it lost it's charm, I could feel it by getting boring fast every new episode, A similar case to Overlord, It's started good then lost it's charm.

Berzerk is a manga that i just don't like but if Guts got his full revenge on Griffith then i will change my mind.

Voting for Death note
Mark my word it will be Casca who will ultimately kill Griffith because this is the style of Berserk.Like
Guts killing Donovan who raped him or Griffith killing Doldry king to whom he was forced to sell his body.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raven

Registored User
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Mark my word it will be Casca who will ultimately kill Griffith because this is the style of Berserk.Like
Guts killing Donovan who raped him or Griffith killing Doldry king to whom he was forced to sell his body.
maybe

Last edited by a moderator:

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Tough Choice,but i'll ultimately have to pick Berserk here.

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I think this match up is way way closer than what it looks.

People disregard Death Note nowadays cause now its a major meme of manganime, but there's very few works that can just compare to it. The mind games and psychological battle that goes through the whole story captivated me, even in its final moments with Near (worst character by far, even then still good).

Then there's Berserk, another classic and icon of seinen manga. I absolutely love it as a fan of fantasy-mature stories, but contrary to DN people do hype it a lot. True that Golden Age Arc is probably one of the best manga arcs ever written, but Berserk as whole has its drops just like DN, people just dont mind them that much cause its still a developing story.

I for instance cannot decide yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.