Second Round - Death Note vs. Gon | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Second Round Death Note vs. Gon

Who wins?

• Death Note

• Gon

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

Death Note
Tsugumi Ohba & Takeshi Obata
-

Gon
Masashi Tanaka

Rules- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it
Special Rules- We proudly encourage you to share the best pics of your Manga!
- Earn the possibility to win a badge by being the proudest Mangalover around!

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Going with Death Note in this round.Death Note always held a special position in my heart.When i properly started watching Anime this was second after FT and it completely hooked me.I binge watched the entire series with my brother.The manga is even better.It is also listed as one of my favourites in MAL.The cat and mouse game between Light & L hooked me completely.We used to discuss about Light's intelligence etc. etc.So Death Note for me.

Sorry Randy

Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Death Note is one of those series that really got me hooked on manga. The one that sort of transitioned me from the more typical, fun battle shonen a la One Piece/Naruto/Bleach, to darker, more psychological stuff.
But...
Its reread value just isn't that high. I started to reread it a year ago or so and honestly, I lost interest because I knew what would happen. It's a very well written story, with all its twists and turns and mind games between Light and L, but when you already know what those twists and turns will be... there's not much else there. Visually, it's drawn well and serves its purpose, but it's not one of those series I can reread for the art alone since there's not that many truly compelling visuals (with exceptions, of course). And when the story can't fully serve its purpose, it just becomes a bleak, wordy read which doesn't hit me the way it did the first time.

- - - -

On the other side we have Gon, which I only started reading because of Brandish's nomination. This is pretty much the opposite of how I just described Death Note. One of those series you could pick up any volume of and the visuals speak for themselves. The art is fantastic, and invokes lots of adventure and fun. No complex story, just pure, fun visual story-telling which never fails to deliver a good underlying message.

Because of the disappointment Death Note gave me last time I tried it, and the pleasant surprise Gon has been, as well as the fact that Gon is the underdog here, I'm going with the dinosaur all the way. :nod

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
the art is amazing and also because it has no text its definitely great for children who dont like reading or who cant for instance.
Agreed. It also helps for cultural differences and language barriers.
In some manga, the translations can miss the point. Or, the stories themselves require a little 'otaku' knowledge. Not saying the latter is a bad thing.
It's just a strength of Gon. It's language is manga. /end(?) pretentious comments
One of the reasons I chose Gon is because of how easy it is to campaign. It's not laziness.
It's very hard to encapsulate everything you want about some of the larger series in one post.
On top of that, what should I talk about first? Which characters? Which chapter was it again with that panel????
With Gon that really isn't an issue. Pick a chap at random, upload, let the pages do the work.
Not much needs to be said to convey what the manga is like...

Chapter 2 (note: the manga in the link is flipped, so read left to right...)
I didn't nominate for campaign efficiency alone. I really like this manga. Some of the reasons I've touched on before (1 2).
First 'read' it this year. Then bought the books (I would show them, just can't access them rn), so I've gone thru it several times.
I like animals, and as a kid I fkn loved dinosaurs.
Striking art.
Combine that with charm and you've got me by the tail!

I'll continue to post through the round, so please vote for Gon!

Juviii

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Voted Gon, that dinossaur looks like such a boss! :lmao Death note pissed me of when I read it and when even the MC votes against it, you know it's bad. :derp

OtakuFreak

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Death note all the way.

Ryuk and his interesting personality made death note ten times better despite it being already amazing.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
@GajeelNashi round 2 has started! (Death Note campaign in case he's away)

Sorry, I'm really struggling to say more about Gon. If you're looking for something concise and accurate check this post.

Otherwise, just flip thru some chapters. Like this one, chapter 11, some animals eating mushrooms.

VOTE GON!

Gajeel

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
My bad @Brandish, this week was a really busy one, had tons of exams and projects. Even though I love Death Note and would like to see it win, school always comes before. I'm sorry for not giving you competition but from what I can see, it's a bit too late for me eh :XD.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
@GajeelNashi round 2 has started! (Death Note campaign in case he's away)
And I really appreciate this. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.