Art - DGM Volume Covers Thread | Page 54 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Art DGM Volume Covers Thread

capricorn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
It's not true, ever since vol5 we see them with grey skin, like road in vol5, tykk vol6, etc
Holy crap, I just checked them, you may just be right but I don't know why they looked slightly brown in my memory (not tomention I acctually really loved those covers).

huh? and all these time i thought this is what people called 'gray' my bad then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
honestly i don't have any problem with brown skin Noah, but i just don't like the way people just ignored what actually exist in order to make their point appear more valid (of course i don't mean you, i mean some people i saw on tumblr). i remember seeing this post saying headcanon the noahs with any other skin color other than brown is white-washing/brown-erasure and i was like ??? it's not even their real skin color??? and it's not like people imagine the noahs with gray skin out of nowhere. the manga's title it's d.GRAY-man for god's sake.
and i wish people can stop take hoshino's coloring too serious. i mean she is japanese, high chance is she isn't awared of how sensitive this topic is in western countries and just color whatever. if we take it literally lenalee should have at least 3 different hair color by now. my bet is that gray is simply doesn't suit her vibrant coloring style anymore so she uses brown instead.
The d gry man fandom can be really weird sometimes. Of all the interesting topics and debates that could be had about the actual story they choose to kill each other over hair and skin colour LOL. I've always assumed that Hoshino loves to experiment with the colour as it suits her currrent impressions of the characters. That might just be for their hair though..... then again who knows

Niko_kun

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Holy crap, I just checked them, you may just be right but I don't know why they looked slightly brown in my memory (not tomention I acctually really loved those covers).

The d gry man fandom can be really weird sometimes. Of all the interesting topics and debates that could be had about the actual story they choose to kill each other over hair and skin colour LOL. I've always assumed that Hoshino loves to experiment with the colour as it suits her currrent impressions of the characters. That might just be for their hair though..... then again who knows
I think it's Because she has been drawing them lately with brown skin. I was thinking that maybe they have brown skin while in human form and as Noahs, they are grey.

Silverwolf442

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's Because she has been drawing them lately with brown skin. I was thinking that maybe they have brown skin while in human form and as Noahs, they are grey.
Hmm. That's what I thought too lol Though in some of those above pics, the Noah do look to have a brown tint to them, imo.

But Hoshino is known be inconsistent with her style. But I think it's only sometimes, with some characters.

Last edited:

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hmm. That's what I thought too lol Though in some of those above pics, the NOah do look to have a brown tint to them, imo.

But Hoshino is known be inconsistent with her style. But I think it's only sometimes, with some characters.
Exactly. I think we just have been seeing them in human form for a while and kinda feel like they have brown skin for a while? Lol

She likes to play with colors, and that's one of the things I love the most in her works

lanablack

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
The d gry man fandom can be really weird sometimes. Of all the interesting topics and debates that could be had about the actual story they choose to kill each other over hair and skin colour LOL.
nah, that's just tumblr, and not only in this fandom. i remember the first time i came across people arguing about this and i was like Why? Who cares? (but apparently they do, i actually do get why but i still find it unnecessary)

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Do u guys know it there's already the vol 25 raw available?

Sullyan

Reaction score
Country
Spain
That's true? Great news! It has only redrawn Allen's tears or something else? You know reprinting date? I have it , but I want it :D

Sullyan

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Someone else will buy it? I had thought to buy it along with the fanbook coming out in August, because the shipping insurance Artbook which is much more expensive. :( (That better alone. Forever alone xD ok, no)
There will be some more change? Chapter 220 ruled that she showed in Instagram...? xD (ok , that's for sure not.)

aymi

Reaction score
Country
United States

someone said that this ^^ poster would be included with volume 25, but i haven't seen any evidence to confirm this
does anyone know where one could get this poster?

lanablack

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
so according to the back cover (here) we can see that Fiidora's skin is colored... er, not brown, and in the manga (here) he is in his human (?) form while tyki and wisely is in their noah form, so the conclusion is the brown skin is their noah form. Now, it could mean something but the fact is Hoshino used to color it gray, so the argument that it's just her aesthetic's choice still stand (and i thought wisely's hair is white?? but it's yellow now, like in the anime promotion art)
however this cover was only released recently, while the anime must have been done for a while, and consider hoshino has a lot of input in the anime this time, so it's possible she specifically required them to color it that way.
but at the end of the day, it's all our own speculation and it would be cool if people wouldn't get so butthurt everytime someone have a different opinion than them (i'm looking at you tumblr users who happened to read my posts here) so far there is no evidence or even something hoshino said outside the manga indicate their skin color have any deeper meaning. discuss it as much as you like, but please stop acting like it's something people must care about.

practically

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Why would Tyki and Wisely be in their Noah forms on that page? I ask this genuinely, as I had thought they were trying (however poorly) to blend into human society the same as Fiidora? In that case, their human skin tone would be dark, whether or not their Noah forms still have gray skin.

Anyway, I was upset because people like to exaggerate the idea of "Tumblr fandom" as rabid sjws who think "the wrong way" somehow. Tumblr discussions happen there exactly bc few other sites are interested. They're interesting to the people who choose to participate in them. Why would everyone else suddenly be obligated to care the same amount about implications in Hoshino's coloring (that is to say, not at all)? They're not, for the same reason you don't feel required to care.
There's no objective answer to brown or grey skin tone, like you all alluded to yourselves. If some users choose to consider certain things canon or not for any reasons... that's not anything you can change for them. Just because you or anyone else doesn't care, it doesn't mean that people who care a lot are wrong for doing so. Disengage or participate, there's no need to go to other sites and snootily talk down "Tumblr fans". The butthurt people have over Tumblr is very :U for me.

Raw scan (resized for Tumblr, if anyone is interested, the 600dpi scan was 22MB and 4460px or so wide) and a really rough clean done in the hour and a half before my lab this afternoon. If anyone feels up to tackling the full-scale cleaning, I can send you the file.

Last edited:

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
No cross on their foreheads. Noah form has crosses on foreheads. At least Tyki should show it.
Unless Hoshino forgot to draw the crosses. :XD
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
And i don't know what to think of Wisely's hair.
If that is his human form, it's kinda crazy cause his first appearance looked brown.

Laliam

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Wisely has his Demon Eye, so it's definitely his Noah form.
Not so sure about Tyki though... As Asclepius noted, he doesn't have his crosses on the forehead (not only here, in the manga too):
But his skin is gray toned as if it's his Noah form. Hoshino never toned it in his human form before:

You can see that Tyki's (human form) and Wisely's (Noah form) skin tones are different.

I don't know what to think of it...

Sullyan

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Wisely has his Demon Eye, so it's definitely his Noah form.
Not so sure about Tyki though... As Asclepius noted, he doesn't have his crosses on the forehead (not only here, in the manga too):
But his skin is gray toned as if it's his Noah form. Hoshino never toned it in his human form before:

You can see that Tyki's (human form) and Wisely's (Noah form) skin tones are different.

I don't know what to think of it...
They are not Noah. They went to the beach and... they are sun- tanned . XD

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=riki]While I enjoy reading the debate about the Noah Family's skin color, we're going a bit off-topic. If you want to discuss more about it, please create a thread. Thank you! :)[/mod]

Niko_kun

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Why would Tyki and Wisely be in their Noah forms on that page? I ask this genuinely, as I had thought they were trying (however poorly) to blend into human society the same as Fiidora? In that case, their human skin tone would be dark, whether or not their Noah forms still have gray skin.

Anyway, I was upset because people like to exaggerate the idea of "Tumblr fandom" as rabid sjws who think "the wrong way" somehow. Tumblr discussions happen there exactly bc few other sites are interested. They're interesting to the people who choose to participate in them. Why would everyone else suddenly be obligated to care the same amount about implications in Hoshino's coloring (that is to say, not at all)? They're not, for the same reason you don't feel required to care.
There's no objective answer to brown or grey skin tone, like you all alluded to yourselves. If some users choose to consider certain things canon or not for any reasons... that's not anything you can change for them. Just because you or anyone else doesn't care, it doesn't mean that people who care a lot are wrong for doing so. Disengage or participate, there's no need to go to other sites and snootily talk down "Tumblr fans". The butthurt people have over Tumblr is very :U for me.

Raw scan (resized for Tumblr, if anyone is interested, the 600dpi scan was 22MB and 4460px or so wide) and a really rough clean done in the hour and a half before my lab this afternoon. If anyone feels up to tackling the full-scale cleaning, I can send you the file.
do you have a link to the volume complete raw?

Sullyan

Reaction score
Country
Spain
You know if more designs Hoshino-sensei has changed in the republication of Volume 24?
someone said that this ^^ poster would be included with volume 25, but i haven't seen any evidence to confirm this

does anyone know where one could get this poster?
Yes :D

Last edited: