Discussion - Differences in the latest HxH arc compared to the rest | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Differences in the latest HxH arc compared to the rest

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This thread is made for talking about how the current arc is different than what came before. There are several things fans claim is really different about this arc, but in the opening post, i want to describe a phenomenon I see, namely the change of the ideological point of view. But this is not supposed to be the only topic, so feel free to describe what you feel is very different about the current arc.

I think that the way the plots are presented changed from how a teen would look at things in the first part of hxh to how adults look at things starting in the voyage arc and in this thread I want to explain why I think that.

At first I want to outline why I think that HxH, while still having some darker contents, had a presentation of plots that would align more with a teen's point of view, for this, i will go through the dominant plotlines of the first parts of HxH arc by arc.

The hunter exam arc was a lot about growing. We had a kid that already started out far stronger than many adults due to his talent. But even when outmatched, if only Gon showed enough determination, he would surely succeed.
Gon was even able to save Killua from the grasp of the system of the Zoldyek family just by going there and never relenting. This 'determination trumps all' would later be given a dark turn in the CA arc, but for now, this is as teen as it gets. Gon is smart and strong, sure, but on simple terms,he is crazy talented and so determined and that is something a child or teen would like to see, a kid that is well equipped to change the world or be able to do everything what he wants if he just tries hard enough.

This goes on in heaven's arena. We get the confirmation (as if we needed one) that gon and kil are unique talents even among talented people. There are people who are nenusers since a long time, a vile system of persons. They are not strong, but still, they crush newbies in heaven's since a longer period of time, but Gon and Kil just need to go there, honestly study and fight and then they defeat them in a fair and square way. So again, as long as you study hard enough, there is no challenge you cannot meet.

Yorkshin would probably be the first arc where people disagree with my statement because yorkshin is a tad darker than the previous arcs. However, when we break it down, we see the following:There is a system in yorkshin that is so powerful that it has the whole city under control:The mafia. The ten most powerful underworld dons do an auction in yorkshin and put all their influence into it. They are able to hire the best killers in the world, too. Kurapika starts out working for a minor Don to get close to the spider. Now, this could be a story that is unlike the other two. This could be a story about trying to do your job and survive in this underworld jungle while searching for the spider. But that didn't happen. Kurapika relatively quickly becomes so important that he calls the shots and the spider relatively quickly fodderize the mafia. The old system in yorkshin is less important than the personal revenge fight between kurapika and the spider. At least when the ten dons die, it is clear that the only one who couldmaybe stop the spider is kurapika.
So what we have is a gang of young criminals who are able to beat powerful old men with relative ease and a young guy who goes from random henchmen to mob boss and takes up the fight successfully that the ten most powerful underworld bosses could not win over the course of like 40 chapters ( i know yorkshin had 60, but the transition took roughly 40 chaps) . Once again, this is what a teen would imagine joining an organization, rising in ranks and having his own personal story eclipse the giant system it takes place in.

Greed Island is probably the best example. There are several groups of Veterans that try to clear GI for years in a stale situation.They have ugly but efficient strategies and see Greed Island as a Job and not as a game.
Then our heroes arrive. They see greed Island as game and want to play it in legit ways and in the end, they are able to beat all these strong professionals and win the game. The protagonists and their convictions are bigger than the system and beat the system in the end.

Chimera ant arc is another arc that people might instinctively think as mature about and I agree to an extent that this is a minor turning point because it starts playing with what theprice of determination is. However, it still values personal choice as bigger than anything else.
Gon's transformation is not a positive thing, however, it is a personal choice that makes Gon and his revenge story so big that he is able to kill a very powerful fighter that is far out of his league. It is a thing you see in lots of teen fiction: If you really want to, even if it might not be a good thing, you can overcome this powerful enemy.
We have this existential attack on humanity come down to the fight of some flashy group of mostly (minus netero and morel) young people who have (by the end of it) their spirits up and their morale high.
It is true that Meruem is defeated by the vileness of humanity, so the opposite of what i claim (a nameless system bringing down the most perfect being) but this is only possible because that one champion of humanity, who trained all his life, decides to sacrifice his life to save humanity (so once again personal choice trumping all).
Meruem himself is a good example of my statement. He is born into perfection and quickly able to just take reign of a country.He was born into a rigid system in which he is king. But he abandons it for Komugi and by the end of it found his own thing to do. Meruem's story was a celebration of abandoning your fate in favour of doing what you really want in life, and this, once again, is as teen as it gets. The personal stories, even in CA arc, of the protagonists were bigger than
the system around them was. Because in the end, what mattered to Meruem was Komugi, not ant hierarchy.

Election arc is another example that plays a bit with this trope, but still has it mostly intact. It is the first time tho that there is something else because it did not really matter who wins the election at all. Pariston already has the xday planned, he would step down anyway because there are things far bigger than the election going on. However, we do not know that yet at that point. For all we know,Pariston is a guy who is so great that he alone as an individualcanplay with everyone else. He is the teen fantasy of a really smart guy, outclassing the more level headed and systematically thinking cheadle who is mroe of a conventional politician looking for compromise.
Aside from Pariston, we have Killua who thinks he and only he himself should and can save his best friend, confronts the system of the zoldyeks for Gon once again, saves his little sister from it and succeeds in saving Gon and it is only the personal action of Killua that decides the outcome of the election. Once again it is an example of a personal plot becoming bigger than a big system around it and eclipsing that system (even tho as i stated before, the election itself proved to be meaningless).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

With this, I hope I could outline why I really see the first phase of HxH as a thing that aligns with the outlook a teen or child would have on the world. Personal plots are bigger than the system around it, if you try hard enough you can succeed (and if not succeed, than at least due to your pent up emotions you can wreck havoc against the people who wronged you) and generally there are almost no real limitations for the things you want to do in life.

This all changed in the DC phase of HxH because interestingly,we now have most characters want to keep the status quo and keep the system stable, while only beyond and his crew (who are, for now,villains) want to challenge this system that is in place for decades or millenia.

A good example of this is Gin's dialogue with pariston. Ging realizes it must make Pariston mad how cheadle leads the organization and how the conducted the hunter's exam. Pariston then says netero would just have challenged beyond to a fair duel, who can get to the DC first , so make it a fair and personal fight. This once again is a way of teens looking at things, why can't we just have a fair battle and then have the winner decide? Cheadle would never do that. Cheadle realizes that there certainly cannot be someone going to the DC and that the most efficient way of stopping Beyond is to babysit him nonstop to keep him under control in a mock expedition that is never meant to really go anywhere. For this, she uses the system around here to find compromise with everyone. A bunch of suit guys of which noone tells the truth and everyone has ulterior motives, held together by a system that keeps them from ripping into each other.

Even if you think cheadle is right in what she does (in fact she just wants to do the same thing netero did, keep people from going to the dc), one cannot deny that beyond's and pariston's approaches are far more noble and beautiful than her's is. The same goes for the other Zodiac.Even the simple ones realize there are things bigger than them and accept the systems of the zodiac and the system of the hunter world and they want to keep that system stable (while beyond and pariston want to crush it).

Even Ging, a very carefree guy, wants to make pariston give in and leave the system intact. Ging however, interestingly,take the approach netero would have (according to pariston): He will take it upon himself,in a ging vs pariston battle, to make pariston stop. This is something pariston can seemingly respect.

Still, as it is for now, the DC phase is a battle of old system vs young hotshots and the hotshots, for once, are the villains while our protags are on the status quo side of things.

This is illustrated very well in the succession war. The succession war has many, MANY characters, all with personal ambitions and dreams, but none of their plots (unlike in phase 1) is bigger than the war.

In yorkshin, Kurapika's plot was bigger than the auction stuff, the auction was just one station in his personal plotline and his personal fight influenced all the events in yorkshin.
In the DC arc, Kurapika is a player, but his plot hardly is the biggest influence on the proceedings of the battle. The most notable thing Kurapika did was the nentraining, but all Kurapika wants for now is to have woble and oito escape and get close to tserriednich.Simply put, the war is bigger than kurapika's eye story and this was different in yorkshin.

The same really is true for spider vs hisoka. Half the arc is over, and the spider had no interaction with hisoka yet but got tangled up in the mafia system. In yorkshin, the mafia played a role, but was quickly subdued by the spider. This time around, the Mafia is more in control and the spider work with it because they have to. They cannot move in this system without respecting the system at least some what.

I want to end this already long post with the example of Nasubi, who imo exemplifies this change best.

Nasubi starts out as your run of the mill fat and greedy king guy. Totally evil, makes his children fight to the death due to some old ceremony. However, as we saw, nasubi does not enjoy his children dying.He is somber when Momoze died and his dialogue with Halkenburg implies that he has no problem with Halkenburg's ways and even wishes him luck (he says Halkenburg needs to become king first, then can decide whatever he wants). He does the best he can to guide his children but he wants the best for kakin and would sacrifice his children and really a lot of innocent people for that.

Nasubi is a man who accepted there are things bigger than himself. Meruem was the perfect being who could do everything by himself and decided to abandon responsibility to do his own thing. Nasubi would never do that. Nasubi has the humility to accept that he is just one little branch in the great tree of kakin and that it is his responsibility to make this tree even stronger, no matter the cost. This is how an adult things. I cannot change the world, but I have responsibilities that i might hate, but they are still my responsibilities and I should do them well to hope they at least push things into a little better direction.

A lot of the nameless suit guys, when it comes down to it, seem to think like that and accept that there are things more important than their lives and ambitions and that is a clear change of ideological point of view compared to phase 1.

Kanmuru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Comparing current arc to the old ones I'm pretty dissapointed.. It's the first time I feel this way.
I just want this sh*t in the boat to finish and get some adventures in the DC hopefully it will return the spirit of the golden days.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Comparing current arc to the old ones I'm pretty dissapointed.. It's the first time I feel this way.
I just want this sh*t in the boat to finish and get some adventures in the DC hopefully it will return the spirit of the golden days.
Chances are that you won't get back what you mean by the golden days. The changes Togashi made are here to stay i think.
As i described in the thread, i think that what most readers really fell in love with when they started reading was gon and kil's friendship. Ofc all the other things played a role, but at the end of the day, the emotional core until 340 was gon and kil being friends.
I think that stopped and i think we won't get an update on that by leo+pika, it is just gone and HxH works in a very different way than before now.

In my opinion, that is a pretty ballsy thing to do for togashi andi applaud that, but i can understand how it drives off lots of fans.

Kanmuru

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hmmm, Election arc didn't have any Gon besides being the reason for killua to do that quest and it was super text heavy compared to the previous ones.
I consider that arc to be one of the best from togashi and a masterpiece.
Since Chrollo Vs Hisoka it seems like text > all. And this record togashi wants to break is just stupid. I can care less for 90% of the characters in the boat.. Benjamin is great (even if I don't buy that he is more of a genius than gon and killu) theta is cool too, but that's it for me. XD
Even someone like hanzo who got little exposition and just had a fight with gon is more memorable than anyone here :/
The conversations between Ging and Pariston are 10 times more exciting and better written than any of the tons of dialogues from the last chapters..
I really hope DC arc to get that quality back. I want to read more from Ging/Pariston/beyond/etc

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hmmm, Election arc didn't have any Gon besides being the reason for killua to do that quest and it was super text heavy compared to the previous ones.
I consider that arc to be one of the best from togashi and a masterpiece.
Since Chrollo Vs Hisoka it seems like text > all. And this record togashi wants to break is just stupid. I can care less for 90% of the characters in the boat.. Benjamin is great (even if I don't buy that he is more of a genius than gon and killu) theta is cool too, but that's it for me. XD
Even someone like hanzo who got little exposition and just had a fight with gon is more memorable than anyone here :/
The conversations between Ging and Pariston are 10 times more exciting and better written than any of the tons of dialogues from the last chapters..
I really hope DC arc to get that quality back. I want to read more from Ging/Pariston/beyond/etc
The difference really is that election arc was 20 chaps long and, while it didnt have gon a lot (until last 5 chaps, so one fourth), it had lots of Killua and one new character (pariston) that many people loved. It was text heavy, but most of that text was about Killua or Pariston pulling some shit people enjoyed. You could also just skip the text in many cases if you really were not interested in the zodiac without losing a lot of syopsis.

With the voyage arc, i think Togashi is trying to ease readers into the new HxH which, in my opinion, is there to stay.
What i think he wants is to transit HxH's second phase into a manga that sees things through an adult lense (which does not say anything about maturity, just through which lense you see the world).
He does not include that many chars just for the heck of it due to some trite record. There is a reason for him to do it.
In my opinion, that reason is that he deliberately wants this whole operation to feel overwhelming with more details than you can really keep track of if you do not put in a lot of effort. I think he wants to do that because he can use it as example of just what the struggles of operations that big on such a high scale are. Before that, we had gon and kil and textheavy scenes and all, but they were always rather easy to follow because the gist of it was usually very clear. You didn't need to really understand all the card stuff on GI to follow what is happening in that arc, it was just a bonus. That changed now. You need to follow these things, because a weird phrasing of a sentence can mean the difference between life and death.

It became clear by now that not all fans like this new direction, but I still think it is there to stay. Voyage arc really hammers that point home. Even the most anticipated battle with chrollo vs Hisoka, as you pointed out, was a text adventure. And like Hisoka realizes that his usual 1n1 approach does not work here anymore, fans are supposed to realize that indirect fighting is what is to be expected of HxH from now on.

Kanmuru

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
He does not include that many chars just for the heck of it due to some trite record. There is a reason for him to do it.
In my opinion, that reason is that he deliberately wants this whole operation to feel overwhelming with more details than you can really keep track of if you do not put in a lot of effort. I think he wants to do that because he can use it as example of just what the struggles of operations that big on such a high scale are.
I didn't think of it like that. That's a good point as why he does all the extra characters and scenarios.
Why are you so sure this is the new approach of hunter? It seems to me that every arc gets an especific direction and pacing.
I think we get back to adventure things once we reach the DC. That seems the logical way to go in that setting or maybe a little bit of horror because everyone is getting destroyed by calamities and weird animals. Dark continent doesn't fit in the text heavy area IMO

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I didn't think of it like that. That's a good point as why he does all the extra characters and scenarios.
Why are you so sure this is the new approach of hunter? It seems to me that every arc gets an especific direction and pacing.
I think we get back to adventure things once we reach the DC. That seems the logical way to go in that setting or maybe a little bit of horror because everyone is getting destroyed by calamities and weird animals. Dark continent doesn't fit in the text heavy area IMO
Because some of the things happening have no precedent. Let's for example compare GI and Voyage arc. Gi changed the framework entirely, added a card system and many new characters.

It is true that togashi is not afraid to change the framework in which his arcs take place drastically, but in GI, at its core, it worked like your usual shonen arc. The protags trained and got stronger, reaped the benefits of their training in the end and the card system just augmented how they could interact with other people. There is a thing in some writing theories called 'exchange medium of characters', which just means that this is the thing characters communicate with. Gungi for example is the exchange medium of meruem and komugi. It is simply better to forward communication by something artistically than just letting the characters talk without anything they are really doing together (except if it is like a debate club or s th). In GI, Togashi simply chose a different exchange medium (gon and kil's and biscuit's exchange medium was the training, the cards were how the players interacted with each other (and then ofc fighting is a big one in HxH)). That change is not too integral, much like a huge exchange medium in the election arc was, well, the election. It was the binding force that connected the character's interactions.

If we keep looking under that lense, the Voyage arc has one striking difference: Usually, Togashi used most of his time on the personal exchange medium of gon and kil, whatever it may have been in that arc. We had fighting very often and training, we also had the auction thing and other small stuff. SO whatever the different framework of the arc was and how gon and kil had to interact with third parties, they also usually had a personal exchange medium that enabled you to ignore the framework of the arc. In GI for example, you can ignore all the card stuff and just enjoy watching gon and kil training and fighting and doing stuff. And that is not true for the voyage anymore. The huge exchange medium that connects it all is the succession war. There are some smaller personal ones, but they are almost invisible and usually only really work inside the succession war too (basho and luzurus talking drugs for example). Every important connection in this arc can only be understood via the succession war. Important connections like kurapika and oito's bond or kurapika and bill's bond start and end with the war, directly or indirectly. That means if you do not really like the indirect and textheavy war as exchange medium, you are really out of luck

In this arc, the framework cannot be ignored if you want to enjoy the arc
and it is the first arc without a personal bond that works outside of the larger framework
it would be a different thing if, for example, this arc had kurapika and leorio ACTUALLY just wanting to go to the DC and having fun and doing this bodyguard thing just to get there while broing out

duerlin

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think that, for Gon and Killua, the story can be divided in two phases. The first phase, which includes the arcs Hunter Exam, Heaven Arena and Greed Island, was mainly about training and getting strong enough to hold your own. Yorkshin was IMO Kurapika's arc where the boys were just side characters. Imo, Yorkshin and Greed Island arcs scrapped the surface of the hunter world. The danger in those arcs were either controlled or diminished by their MC armor.
Chimera Ant arc showed what a real crisis among top tier hunters is and showed way more character development than in all the previous arcs together. Imo it was beaultiful how Meruem and Gon shifted between humanity and animality. Too bad Gon's status was reseted, it would have been a good and instructive tragic finale for him.
If I remember correctly, at least one of the missions carried by Netero to the DC had a high casualty rate. Therefore, if the trend of resets and resurrections stopped, I think it would be a disappointment if this arc, with and A rank difficulty mission, was not grim, about survival, with a lot of deaths.

thedude

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Like seemingly all Mangaka, the difference between this arc and older arcs is Togashi has forgotten how to properly pace his story, so now we are spending endless chapters on pure dialogue on characters who we have just met and who are going to die in a few chapters anyway. I think the idea of this succession war in his head is more interesting than the execution. Half the time the reader (or me at least) doesn't know whose side what character is on, what their motivation is, and what the point of it all is. And at one point it looked like Togashi decided to just speed it up, but then the next week he was like "no, i can't skip that stuff I have to go back".

Honestly, I'm feeling like this manga ended on top of that tree when Gon spoke to his dad, and then we saw various characters looking out at the sunset. That was a "proper" end. This new manga that replaced Hunter x Hunter is less focused and so far, far less interesting.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Like seemingly all Mangaka, the difference between this arc and older arcs is Togashi has forgotten how to properly pace his story, so now we are spending endless chapters on pure dialogue on characters who we have just met and who are going to die in a few chapters anyway. I think the idea of this succession war in his head is more interesting than the execution. Half the time the reader (or me at least) doesn't know whose side what character is on, what their motivation is, and what the point of it all is. And at one point it looked like Togashi decided to just speed it up, but then the next week he was like "no, i can't skip that stuff I have to go back".

Honestly, I'm feeling like this manga ended on top of that tree when Gon spoke to his dad, and then we saw various characters looking out at the sunset. That was a "proper" end. This new manga that replaced Hunter x Hunter is less focused and so far, far less interesting.
I disagree about that because i think it goes beyond the point.
The point of the arc is to show what a challenge these operations with many people are, because the DC is such an operation. You do not have a team of Nakama like the spiders, or the invasion team. You have a giant group of people who all have their different individual goals and you still have to somehow get along, find consensus and use every detail to survive.

Remembering who is who and wants what is the first challenge, and i think Togashi deliberately named even the unimportant guards to reflect that, because they might become important.

So, obviously you are free to not like that, but i dont think hxH lost focus. it just focuses on something you do not enjoy. That is a huge difference.

This is an arc about how insanely important details are, even semantics and slight observations, so obviously togashi cannot just exclude all the details, he has to focus on them.

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
I must say that I cannot disagree more with the idea someone can label "Adult" thinking as anything remotely concrete, unless in reference to M rated subjects. Adults are human beings.

History itself is proof of people who changed the world in varying ways and more or less got what they intended. Many more have gone further, and that is why their names are not written down, because they are in the shadows and came to power and authority by financial or means taboo in modern culture to even speak of for fear of snobby rebuke and ridicule. But they did and they are there, commanding the system to do their will. This happens and has happened because society is an ever-changing mechanism that goes about accomplishing more or less the same things toward the same end, and is thus extremely complex.

As it is a complex thing to interact with, be part of, or change, equally complex as any one person, insisting that an adult of any age is going to have a general attitude or cynical perspective is in itself just as bad a stereotypical portrayal based on assumption as that made for teens. I find your argument too linear, Shionoro.

Now, it is internally consistent, but altogether based on your own interpretation of events. And that there is where the incongruities lie. There are many ways to interpret each arc. I would argue that you have come awful close to dissecting what was likely Togashi's intentions for most of the Arcs. But there is still a massive amount of ulterior explanations that can could fill the same holes.

For instance, one can instantly say the Succession War is in itself no different by your statements, save that this time it is simply convenient for characters to do what they're doing. Even Kurapika's selfless desire to protect Woble falls completely into the vein balking the system and with determination fighting the odds to overcome it. He is, after all, tied down with the one prince most likely to fail the war.

Just my thoughts. But the concept of linear adult thinking is something I can't let slide. Too many people in all walks of life exist in all walks of life for a reason, you know. And there are not a few who do in fact "change the system", but it is just that once that system is changed in whatever way, it is the same for those outside that individuals personal objectives."

So my argument would more be: "teens may dream of achieving their goals, Adults attempt them." There are deceitful and honest ways of achieving an objective. whether or not Adults are by nature cynics or deceitful is a spiritual matter. And therefore one on which no argument will ever find firm purchase, no matter how much we may argue. Consider the very existence of religious people. they themselves demonstrate there is more nuance than cog-in-gear philosophy.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I must say that I cannot disagree more with the idea someone can label "Adult" thinking as anything remotely concrete, unless in reference to M rated subjects. Adults are human beings.

History itself is proof of people who changed the world in varying ways and more or less got what they intended. Many more have gone further, and that is why their names are not written down, because they are in the shadows and came to power and authority by financial or means taboo in modern culture to even speak of for fear of snobby rebuke and ridicule. But they did and they are there, commanding the system to do their will. This happens and has happened because society is an ever-changing mechanism that goes about accomplishing more or less the same things toward the same end, and is thus extremely complex.

As it is a complex thing to interact with, be part of, or change, equally complex as any one person, insisting that an adult of any age is going to have a general attitude or cynical perspective is in itself just as bad a stereotypical portrayal based on assumption as that made for teens. I find your argument too linear, Shionoro.

Now, it is internally consistent, but altogether based on your own interpretation of events. And that there is where the incongruities lie. There are many ways to interpret each arc. I would argue that you have come awful close to dissecting what was likely Togashi's intentions for most of the Arcs. But there is still a massive amount of ulterior explanations that can could fill the same holes.

For instance, one can instantly say the Succession War is in itself no different by your statements, save that this time it is simply convenient for characters to do what they're doing. Even Kurapika's selfless desire to protect Woble falls completely into the vein balking the system and with determination fighting the odds to overcome it. He is, after all, tied down with the one prince most likely to fail the war.

Just my thoughts. But the concept of linear adult thinking is something I can't let slide. Too many people in all walks of life exist in all walks of life for a reason, you know. And there are not a few who do in fact "change the system", but it is just that once that system is changed in whatever way, it is the same for those outside that individuals personal objectives."

So my argument would more be: "teens may dream of achieving their goals, Adults attempt them." There are deceitful and honest ways of achieving an objective. whether or not Adults are by nature cynics or deceitful is a spiritual matter. And therefore one on which no argument will ever find firm purchase, no matter how much we may argue. Consider the very existence of religious people. they themselves demonstrate there is more nuance than cog-in-gear philosophy.

What I mean by that is an adult lense of telling a story, and i think that is a concrete thing.
It is decidedly a very teen way to look at things when you make it seem like you can change things if you just want to do it enough and not become corrupt in the process.
I don't think any adult would find it believable that some ragtag pirate group changes the world while all being amazing nakama.
Even if that story was written insanely well, it would still be a teen lense.

Bein an adult does not mean being cynical, but it means having made experiences. Even the biggest optimist has different thought patterns when he is an adult than he has as a teen.
As an adult, you know what it means to have a job. You know you have to deal mostly with people who are not your friends and whom you do nto really care about while still ahving to uphold valuable, but exhausting bonds to people. You know that there are often thigns and situations you simply cannot change, at least for the time being. You also know that to really change things, you will have to do questionable things and won't emerge unscathed, morally, even if you win

This is not about complexity. YOu can use an adult lense and make a simple and dumb story, you can use a teen lense and make an engaging masterpiece of a story.

My point is that HxH decidedly did not use an adult lense in the first part of the story. IT alluded to it. Tzezguerra is a guy who looks at things through an adult lense. He is in for the money, he tries to avoid risk and tries to win without a fight.
The same is true for nicke's group. These guys accepted they reached their limit and their limit is not insale yhigh. They cannot fight and win, thus they use cheap strats.
Gon and Kil are not that way. They are teens. They want to grow, they are exactly going for the bigger challenge to grow (killua has the needle imbued and is more careful than gon, but even he is absolutely fine with fighting binolt in a deadly fight).
Tzezguerra loses and gon and kil are validated in their approach. It goes even as far as that Tzezguerra wants to train again because he forgot the basic spirit gon and kil have. The adult was swayed by the teen approach. That is what the first half of HxH does.

We can see that in every single arc. Gon and kil's approach is ultimately validated.
Naive childish gon mostly gets his way, one way or another.
Against hanzo in exam, even tho he does dangerous things against wing's advice in heaven's, even tho he overestimates himself against the spider in yorkshin.
Even the he doesnt follow the plan against genthru and wants to fight him head on.
Even tho he goes against pitou and does an insane oath.

He emerges from that, makes amends with Killua and Kite and meets ging as he planned. Yes, there is the 'gon lost his nen' thing, but that happensa fter 340, so in the part of HxH where we look at things through an adult lense.

There are huge differences. For starters, we have a conflict that cannot really be resolved in a noble way. These guys are going to kill each other and there is nothing anyone can do. And all characters have accepted that. They tried other approaches, like Halkenburg or Kacho.
But it didnt work. Halkenburg accepted that and now wants to kill his siblings.

Kurapika is not in for growing reasons or other noble reasons. He is in to get closure from a past that haunts him (which is really rare in youth adult fiction protags, i dont think i ever really saw that) and becomes part of a fight he has no place in in the process. He wants to protect woble and oito and uses selfdestructive behaviour for it and for his goal. Whether he can do it is another question. And if he does, that means he will have to kill innocent people for them. It is hardly imaginable that Gon would accept that deathmatch and just follow along.

All big players right now (except leorio, if he becomes a big player) accept that the world they live in has things they cannot change, people are corrupted and you gotta deal with these corrupted people and make consensus with them if you want to get anywhere.
You need to be like cheadle and work with someone as irresponsible and dishonest as kakin, fully knowing they try to screw you over, and still find ways to not openly have conflict but win the hidden conflict. That is how the adult world works. It isn't a schoolyard in which you can win by beating the other up (whether you do it in smart ways liek gon does or with pure force).
And the first part of HxH was mostly that kind of schoolyard. Conflicts were open. That stopped
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I would disagree with that. Teams dream of achieving goals, adults know why these dreams cannot be achieved the ways teens imagine them.
Teens think there can be a politician who is just honest and does things the right way (with some little dirty tricks mb here and there, but mostly honest as a person) and that can change the world.
Adults know that this does not work. There are details and hidden conflicts preventing that that noone sees that does not have experience with them. They know that true change demands huge sacrificies, and sadly not the martyr kind of sacrifice, but the berserk eclipse kind of sacrifice and the pariston kind of dirty tricks.

DDed

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Basically Togashi didn't want the Shounen elements of WSJ to be stick with the same, he decided to change the new direction and some of new direction is actually changed fan's perspective, something more adult than just teenagers

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Basically Togashi didn't want the Shounen elements of WSJ to be stick with the same, he decided to change the new direction and some of new direction is actually changed fan's perspective, something more adult than just teenagers
It makes sense to do it at this point because gon's story is over. I don't think that this new direction would work with Gon, or at least not pleasure the fans.
But the people actually reading hxh usually grew with it and are ready for this take now. But there is a considerable risk attached to it, because this arc now is very hard to get into for people who are not already hxh fans.

That is fine as long as HxH fans are happy with it, but from this point onwards,losing longterm fans probably means permanent decline.

Kanmuru

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
This doesn't have to do with adults or teenagers, the writing and plot right now is less quality than ever. Except maybe Hunter's Exam, but that was far better of an arc than any we have seen on the boat.

DDed

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
This doesn't have to do with adults or teenagers, the writing and plot right now is less quality than ever. Except maybe Hunter's Exam, but that was far better of an arc than any we have seen on the boat.
More like we don't know where this is going ... until the end of this arc

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
What makes you think so?

Kanmuru

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
What makes you think so?
Do you find this arc to be better than any of the previous ones? xD
Even GI is far superior being the least favourite. (I love GI tho)

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Do you find this arc to be better than any of the previous ones? xD
Even GI is far superior being the least favourite. (I love GI tho)
There is no HxH arc i find worse than the others.
This arc has me VERY excited indeed as its scale is so massive (not in length, but in what is happening).

Honestly, as far as i am concerned, i have no complaints about this arc, i am hyped.

KimCorrea

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
for me the biggest difference is that i used to care about the characters, now he introduced so many, with so little time ( save some princes ) its really hard care or relate to anyone.
he gives some of them a peculiar trait, quirk, design or whatever that we may think ´´cool`` at first, but theres no deep to it.
thats how i feel...
i really like the current arc and all the stuff going on and really impressed by the amount of characters and information hes giving to us.
but didnt like at all with togashi messing with people ressurecting with nen, like hisoka and camilla... a new type of nen ability being parasite was welcome, but the whole thing centered around post mortem nen i didnt like that much. i guess it was okay if we cling to the idea that someones nen could keep hanging on someone hurting them after death or whatever, but ressurecting someone? nope...
i know its consistent with every explanation about nen so far, but thats just me, i dont like people being revived, cheapens the story...