Cuisine - Discover European Cuisine | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Cuisine Discover European Cuisine

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
European cuisine, or alternatively Western cuisine, is a generalized term collectively referring to the cuisines of Europe and other Western countries. European cuisine includes that of Europe and to some extent Russia, as well as non-indigenous cuisines of North America, Australasia, Oceania, and Latin America. The term is used by East Asians to contrast with Asian styles of cooking.

European Cuisine can be divided into four subgroups

• Eastern European cuisines
  • Northern European cuisines
  • Southern European cuisines
  • Western European cuisines

This is analogous to Westerners referring collectively to the cuisines of Asian countries as Asian cuisine. When used by Westerners, the term may refer more specifically to cuisine in Europe; in this context, a synonym is Continental cuisine, especially in British English.

Here we discuss Western cuisine or (European cuisine) :-)

itoken1

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Japan
oh, I not know there so much cusine in europe. how come? is there any good food, maybe fish, love fish like in sushi <3

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Honnestly that is the first time I hear about wes south north east. Each country has almost it's own cuisine. You could say there is a mediterranean type. But even so spain, italian and greek cuisine differs greatly.

As for your question itoken1, we don't eat as much fish as in japan, especially raw. In scandinavia, they eat a bit more, in particular smoke salmon and a lot of type of herrings marinated in many different sauce. It's really good. Basically countries near the sea eat more fishes. In the continent we eat more meat mainly beef and porc.
Another difference with japan is that we eat a lot of product issued from milk like yoghurt and cheese. France is the country of cheese. When I go abroad and I can only eat cheddar I feel a bit depressed

faintsmile1992

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
But Italian and Japanese cuisine are both healthy because they rely upon vegetarian food sources and seafood instead of red meat. And the flavours are good to combine, for example adding tamari or mirin to a tomato-based pasta sauce. The Italian and the Japanese are my favourite cuisines.

Here in England, our indigenous cuisine is mostly forgotten. Even though I'm traditionalist, I don't think much of the 'meat and to veg' nature of English cooking, in fact I don't eat meat at all. I do love English mustard though, even if mustard flour s an ingredient is no older than the industrial revolution. Because we've lost contact with our heritage, we don't eat much of certain traditional foods such as sea vegetables or wild mushrooms anymore. In fact eating wild mushrooms is associated with French and Italian gourmet cuisine in the popular mind, and the idea of eating seaweed is seen as quite weird here (but not in Wales where Porphyria is eaten as laver).

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Being use to the Dijon mustard taste, English mustard is really something French have a hard time with :-)
As for the wild mushrooms, it's really a vivid tradition of the countryside. I must said I'm really bad at it and the competition is to fearceful. So I rely on my grandfathers and aunts who are great mushrooms hunters.
Japanese food is great but it rely too much on Japanese ingredients which are not that always easy to find. And nothing is as simple to make as a roasted chicken or roastbeef.

faintsmile1992

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I know where to find the wild boletes, and hen-of-the-woods, which the Japanese call maitake. I think the boletes are the kind called ceps, but it can be hard to tell the boletes apart. Although some kinds don't taste too nice, its pretty impossible to confuse edible boletes with anything dangerous like you can with the Agaricus and parasol mushrooms.