Society - Do You Follow the News? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Society Do You Follow the News?

How often do you keep up with the news?

• I watch the news on TV once every day.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I watch the news on TV multiple times every day.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I watch the news and read the newspaper every day.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I primarily follow the news on the internet every day.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Sometimes I'll watch the news, read the newspaper, or use the internet.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • I don't really care, I just learn about the news here and there.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Other (Please Post.)

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Second attempt at putting up a better poll that I think will show us how many of us follow the news actively here. I forgot to include the internet the first time -_-

If it's anything else aside from the options I have in the poll, just post.

RuNa

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I watch the news multiple times each day. I also read internet news ^_~

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I generally do a combination of all three - but I make sure to read or watch at least something every day. I like reading the newspaper the most, but I don't usually have time for that except on the weekends. I watch the news every night - it reminds me of sitting at home with my dad and having a beer while we watch it together :D Internet is nice, especially for international news. The papers around here aren't very good about covering a huge amount of international news, which is pretty frustrating.

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
News on TV, newspapers and internet are a must for me.

Usually I watched/read the news in the morning and later in the evening.

rabb

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
when i was in school i watched the morning news everyday (my current events knowledge impressed a lot of my teachers. brownie points are always good). nowadays i read about it online. or if it's something big, i might turn on the tv.

ibra87

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The internet is my main man and it's usually when I'm pretty bored and can't go out for a reason.

Last edited:

qwan3356

Reaction score
Country
United States
I watch the news when i wake up and whenever i get back from classes, but they depress me so i only watch it for up to 10 mins.

erikrhys

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
not suppsised to see how most people use the internet to get their news. since all the major articles (for the most part) are on the front page of every major news or email site. With the few exceptions of celebrities doing something stupid and msn covering it, THAT pisses me off!

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Haha.. yeah, I generally avoid TV myself too. I pretty much go with the newspapers and internet these days. I just turn on the TV if it's something "live."

Babii-Boo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I usually hear the news from my friends at school. It's not like I don't care about the news, but who in the world that's 14 years old watch/read the news ? XD

miyi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get turned off by too many TV news reporting on nonsense topics, such as, ooh Britney shaved her head, haha!

I read in my Poli Sci class that the reason for this kind of diminished reporting is because of too many news channels (approx hundreds of channels) competing with each other for ratings. So it's difficult to find reliable TV news reporting, nowadays.

So aside from TV news, I try to read at least one newspaper (i.e. Los Angeles Times).

But the bulk of the news I get is from the Internet. My sociology professor recommended to me a relatively unbiased, world news website, and I made it my homepage (I suggest you do the same if you want to keep up with the news).

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/

I also read some news blogs when I'm bored, from some of my favorite columnists, but they tend to be more subjective. But it's always good to read what people have to say, from different perspectives.

juUnior

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I voted for "Sometimes I'll watch the news, read the newspaper, or use the internet."

That's all. I'm sometimes wathcing news in tv, sometimes read newspaper (ususally twice a week only :x) and internet rather non stop ^^"

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States
I follow the news, but not actively. Somehow, I always get the right news at the right time. I seldom read newspaper nowadays (too busy) and internet connection is crappy. Normally, I will get my news accidentally from friends, internet, or television. I care about the news, especially sport news and world news.

Nami

Queen of The Damned
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
:s

Just realise i'm the only one so far who don't really care about the news.

I used to follow closely to what was happening around the world, but recently, just by reading the news, make me kind of depressed.
There isn't anything good reported in the newspapers, just accidents, deaths, murders, politiics, and plus the fact that there is some sort of censorship in the newspapers......anyway, if someone ever mention something that i'm interested in, that's when i'll follow the news...

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States
:s

Just realise i'm the only one so far who don't really care about the news.

I used to follow closely to what was happening around the world, but recently, just by reading the news, make me kind of depressed.
There isn't anything good reported in the newspapers, just accidents, deaths, murders, politiics, and plus the fact that there is some sort of censorship in the newspapers......anyway, if someone ever mention something that i'm interested in, that's when i'll follow the news...
:D There is still comic section that you can enjoy.

Newspapers are getting slightly too depressing nowadays but at least they keep us updated with the news around the world. You might wonder, "Well they only show accidents, murders, dirty politics, and more deaths. Even without reading the news, I know what happens in the world." True, but reading the news give us the sense of belonging. If there is no news in this world, we will not know anything about the world, then it will seem as though we are not a part of this world at all. At least the news give us a glimpse of how good/bad the world is. Maybe you can learn some invaluable lessons from accidents news (don't drive too fast)? ^__^ Bottom line, news are important whether or not you like them. Try to read them and enjoy them. :dance

amar_kun

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
when i was back in my country malaysia, my dad buys newspaper on daily basis. usually he bought 2 newspaper, a malay langauge and the other is english. at that time, i just read the sport section and the cartoon section.

nowadays, i keep update with the news primarily from the internet. i read bbc.co.uk on daily basis. i also keep up to date with news from malaysia in http://malaysia-today.net. it is an independent online news, so it is quite reliable because many mainstream newspaper in malaysia are funded by the government so it is not so transparent.. i also keep up to date with news of muslim all around the world in http://islamonline.net/

Zaloof

Reaction score
does sport news count

amar_kun

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
does sport news count
i'm not too sure about that.. anyway, a sport news is still a news rite? :D i check espn soccernet.com everyday to know the news about my fav. soccer team..

liverpool cruised to the champions league final!!!! the REDS RAWWWKKSSSS!!!

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States
i'm not too sure about that.. anyway, a sport news is still a news rite? :D i check espn soccernet.com everyday to know the news about my fav. soccer team..

liverpool cruised to the champions league final!!!! the REDS RAWWWKKSSSS!!!
:hi5

What more can I say?

amar_kun

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
are you supporting the Reds as well, Leen? O_O'.. i never knew about that..