Don't you want to become a Magical Girl? (Galth's Thread) | Page 113 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Don't you want to become a Magical Girl? (Galth's Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBlitz

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Galth, slowly fading away...

since you're like the only person who (I think) reads the Umineko VN around here, what were your thoughts on EP5 and did you spoil yourself on EP6? If so, do you support the Shkanon theory? :p

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Hmm. I'm not really into sports anymore, these days. I used to play tennis, korfbal, and track n' field athletics, but nowadays I've limited myself to a weekly jogging session with a friend, and that's not really serious, more for fun and to not lose track of said friend (pun not intended).
Tennis :glomp. How good were you? What was your favorite shot? Single-handed forehand or double-handed? What type of style you like, I mean serve and volley or the baseline? Oops too many questions, so I will ask rest of them next time.

Korfbal, I have to google it to know about it. Does it happen to be your native sport or something?

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Jupp, Korfbal is a dutch sport. We have it on our uni too (no wonder, organized by the Netherlands majors :amuse). Wiki it, it has very interesting rules.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

since you're like the only person who (I think) reads the Umineko VN around here, what were your thoughts on EP5 and did you spoil yourself on EP6? If so, do you support the Shkanon theory? :p
Nope, haven't played any of them (yet). :amuse

Jupp, Korfbal is a dutch sport.
Yes, and football is an english sport.

Doesn't mean that they're the only countries who play it, though...

Korfball is played in 57 countries including England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, Czech Republic, Poland, Greece, Serbia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, India, Netherlands, Belgium, Russia, Germany, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Portugal, Pakistan, Sweden, Philippines, Italy, France and Romania. It was a demonstration sport in the Olympic Games of 1920 and 1928, held in Antwerp and Amsterdam.
The International Korfball Federation was founded in 1933. Korfball has been played in the World Games since 1985. IKF World Championships have been held every four years since 1978. The leading nations are the Netherlands and Belgium. The oldest un-merged and still existing korfball club in the world is a Dutch korfball-club H.K.C. ALO located in The Hague, Netherlands; this is the oldest club that was never merged. H.K.C. ALO was founded on February 1, 1906.
Hong Kong hosted its first international tournament, the Asia Oceania Championship in 2006. New Zealand hosted the Asia Oceania Youth Championships in 2007.

Tennis :glomp. How good were you? What was your favorite shot? Single-handed forehand or double-handed? What type of style you like, I mean serve and volley or the baseline? Oops too many questions, so I will ask rest of them next time.
It was a looooong time ago. But my eventual style had me playing an ugly single-handed fore- and backhand both, playing mostly baseline. I was a zero skill, hundred effort type player, that got his point by running for (what others thought were) impossible balls.

But like I said, this was a long, long time ago. >_>

Last edited:

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

It was a looooong time ago.
How old are you seriously ;)?

But my eventual style had me playing an ugly single-handed fore- and backhand both, playing mostly baseline. I was a zero skill, hundred effort type player, that got his point by running for (what others thought were) impossible balls.
Haha, well I was no different. I used double back-handed backhand as it gives more control. Though I always loved single-handed backhand, looks more gracious and stylish. My best shots were, occasional serve finding the box and volley. I tried to venture on the net as soon as I got any chance. Serve and volley is actually quite physically exhausting.

But like I said, this was a long, long time ago. >_>
:o

Do you still watch Tennis, watching Roland Garros? Who is your all time favorite player in Men and Women tennis?

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Ah, I never really watched any sports. At least not on TV. It just doesn't entertain me all that much. I prefer either doing it, or watching it in real life, when friends are playing.

So I can't say I have any "favourite players", at least not based on how they play, since I never paid attention. =p

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Ah, I never really watched any sports. At least not on TV. It just doesn't entertain me all that much. I prefer either doing it, or watching it in real life, when friends are playing.

So I can't say I have any "favourite players", at least not based on how they play, since I never paid attention. =p
Understandable. If you ever get a chance, do watch Tennis in person. Specifically, when there are top seeds playing. I watched Dubai Tennis Championships. Federer, Safin, Serena, Venus, etc. watched them play. It was a wonderful experience.

Since you have played Tennis and other sports, wont you agree its one of the toughest sport. In many other games, it doesn't take long to move up from Beginner's level. But in Tennis, it takes months and sometimes years to become a decent player. Forget about hitting the ball as hard you want to. For example, in Squah or Cricket you can hit the ball as hard as your heart contents and make the shot count. In Tennis, dream on, no?

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Hmm, it's just a knack you need to get the hang off when you just start out:
First you need to learn not to strike the ball too hard. And then later on you learn how you can hit harder balls instead.

But I wouldn't call it a very tough sport, really. Tennis is very much a sport you can play "on automatic", without thinking too much, and just by reacting instinctively. Out of all the sports that I've (briefly) attempted in my youth, not just the three that I entertained myself with for longer times, I found that the ones I would designate as tough/difficult/intense are the ones that combine elements of body and mind.

Korfball, for example, challenges a person in that he is limited (to an extent) by his teammates and his "role" as an attacker of defender, in how much he can achieve. And trying to break through the other side's defences requires tactics rather than skill. And a lot of stamina (a lot).

I remember training under a rather famous coach when I was doing track & field, and he told me how he also regarded korfball as very intense in that regard. Having to continuously deplete your stamina, but being unable to go into "automatic" mode because you have to remain mentally present for the tactical aspect to work out well.

Or something like that. I'm not a sports analyst or anything, that's just how I experienced it.

Other than that, I really enjoy stuff like basketball in a casual fashion.

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Yes, and football is an english sport.

Doesn't mean that they're the only countries who play it, though...
Geez, stop being so bitchy. It's invented in your country and seen here as a typical dutch sports, just as much as you'd connect Tae Kwon Do to Korea or Capoeira to Brazil. You could at least try to be a little proud on your national archivements. Especially since this one is outstanding with it's gender-mixing rules.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Oh, over here Tae Kwon Do and Hapki Do and the like aren't seen as typically korean... much like tennis and football and whatnot, they're sports you see everywhere. And Capoeira isn't a sport.

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Norway

So I was wondering this the other day, who and where's your avatar from? Obviously an anime, but who and which? I can tell from the picture alone that it must be quite awesome. I need a new anime to watch, so I might check it out.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

It's Heiwajima Shizuo from "Durarara!!", an anime currently airing that I would wholeheartedly recommend.

...normally I would write an entire essay here on why I think Durarara!! is a great anime, but I don't really feel like it. So just trust me on this one. =p

*changes avatar to confuse the audience*

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
Reaction score
Country
Norway

Excellent, I might very well check it out in the near future. Do you have a good site to download the episodes from?

CBlitz

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

why Animtake of course

and yeah Durarara is awesome

Nope, haven't played any of them (yet). :amuse
what the...

its not such a grand idea to spoil yourself on Umineko broski >__>

Last edited:

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

I never liked those download sites... they often don't list every release, and why bother making them rich through ads when you can get the files from the sub groups themselves? I usually compare the groups working on it, and just get the torrents through their web sites, or via the tokyotoshokan.

Excellent, I might very well check it out in the near future. Do you have a good site to download the episodes from?
Just torrent them. Get the first six episodes from +mkv&type=0&size_min=&size_max=&username=][gg], the seventh through fifteenth from +mkv&type=0&size_min=&size_max=&username=][ecliptic-bss] (which is basically the same group of people, minus one specific person). For the rest, I have as of yet been unable to locate any fansubs of proper quality, so you might as well download episodes sixteen and further from any of the CrunchyRoll rippers, like +mkv+720p&type=0&size_min=&size_max=&username=]HorribleSubs.

That should get you up to episode 20, but there's still a few episodes to go before it ends. :amuse

what the...

its not such a grand idea to spoil yourself on Umineko broski >__>
Eh, I usually don't care all that much about spoilers, and I'm not really into visual novels, or video games in general these days. I tried playing a few (including Higurashi), but I find that I lose interest pretty quickly.

I'm pretty sure though, that had I found out about the genre a few years earlier, I would've been all over it. But it was just bad timing that I didn't try any of them until I "lost interest in games."

Hmm. I'll stick to the cartoons for now. :amuse

Last edited:

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Hmm, it's just a knack you need to get the hang off when you just start out:
First you need to learn not to strike the ball too hard. And then later on you learn how you can hit harder balls instead.

But I wouldn't call it a very tough sport, really. Tennis is very much a sport you can play "on automatic", without thinking too much, and just by reacting instinctively. Out of all the sports that I've (briefly) attempted in my youth, not just the three that I entertained myself with for longer times, I found that the ones I would designate as tough/difficult/intense are the ones that combine elements of body and mind.

Korfball, for example, challenges a person in that he is limited (to an extent) by his teammates and his "role" as an attacker of defender, in how much he can achieve. And trying to break through the other side's defences requires tactics rather than skill. And a lot of stamina (a lot).

I remember training under a rather famous coach when I was doing track & field, and he told me how he also regarded korfball as very intense in that regard. Having to continuously deplete your stamina, but being unable to go into "automatic" mode because you have to remain mentally present for the tactical aspect to work out well.

Or something like that. I'm not a sports analyst or anything, that's just how I experienced it.

Other than that, I really enjoy stuff like basketball in a casual fashion.
I haven't played or even know much about Korfball, but amongst all I have played (Tennis, Football, Basketball, Badminton, Table Tennis, Cricket, Hockey, Swimming, Squash) I found Tennis quite hard. You are right about starting with the control and then try to hit the ball harder. I wish it was just as easy as it sounds. I am kinda player who tries to improve (as much as I am limited) rather than trying to win a point or match. Tennis requires patience, ball hitting a couple of cm or mm away from sweet spot and forget about it. May be I am trying to compare it more to Professional Level. Tennis and F1 are considered to be one of the most physically and mentally demanding sports.

In Tennis, you are in Australia playing in hot weather, on a hard surface. The next day you are in Europe or some other country playing in cooler weather and on a different surface (Clay or Grass). By average a Tennis player participates in more than 20 tournaments a year at least, which make him/her travel each time to different country (mostly). Tennis players have to adjust with change of weather, change of surface, new time zone, jet lag and different altitudes. Just for info, ball travels differently in different altitudes. On top of all, its not a team sport. Tennis players are extremely fit athletes/sportsmen. Playing long matches with minimal rest intervals and most of all the force they exert for every short is phenomenal. I used to try the kick serve (second serve). You really need to bend your back, transfer your weight forward, and then slice the ball furiously. Believe me it really is draining for the body. Yet I see them play 5 hours matches with same intensity and power.

Formula 1 is another sports that requires exceptional mental and physical fitness. F1 teams have to travel, lets say 17 races => 17 times they have to travel to different countries. The drivers experience G-force of 4-5 Gs every time they break. Imagine they have to break several times in one lap :o. The commentator was telling the other day, the G-force these drivers experience every time, is similar to a car hitting a concrete wall, head-on, at 60 KMH. Intense isn't it.

Arrr I can't go on and on but it will boring. And no I am not trying to prove Tennis or F1 is the toughest sports around. Just highlighting my observations and my limited knowledge, sharing it with you is my only interest.

Last edited:

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
Reaction score
Country
Norway

Hey man, I'm up to episode 13 now. I've been going slow because of exams, but so far the series rock my world. Durarara!! truly is awesome like you said. It was "pretty good" up until episode 6, but after that the story really kicked in. And episodes 10-12 were freaking epic. I was beyond shocked when you-know-who turned out to be the founder of Dollars. I was kinda expecting it to be Izaya.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

When I saw you change your avatar, I figured you liked it, yeah. ;)

And indeed, like I said, the Big Reveal was quite epic, and I totally didn't see it coming. xD

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
Reaction score
Country
Norway

Yeah haha, when the flashback kicked in I wasn't paying full attention, and when I read "I made the website" etc I was like "Hey wait a second! Turn that back, wtf was that!? Did I just read what I think I read!?"

So the show is ending soon after 20? Too bad really. I'm getting quite comfortable with the series. Guess I'll start episode 13 now.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

You'll appreciate the second novel's ending and its own Big Reveal. :amuse

Heh heh heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.