Hangout - Dr. Stone Hangout Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Dr. Stone Hangout Thread

Shobu_Yoruichi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Science chapter!! Yay! I enjoyed it, the simplicity made only by the eyes and subtle comments was nice too. I also welcome gladly a comedic cliffhanger.

Shasha23

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I have a feeling this will get axed, i cant explain why but this story is not really that engaging and entertaining.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
They revived Yuzuriha, not sure that was the best moment to do that considering they will have to fight Tsukasa. I liked how Senkuu baited Tsukasa and the end, but there were too much pages about Taiju's feelings. It's starting to annoy me.

I hope the next chapter will be better now that Tsukasa is an antagonist.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Man, I don't know about the concept of this first arc.

I like the idea of them going around and waking people up. Especially if it follows this almost Dangenroppa style extreme archetype. Where they need to find and wake up particularly amazing yet unbalanced characters for various reasons.

But they pulled the trigger on the Tsukasa thing far too early IMO.

Also what kind of highschool thug can identify nitric acid? Seriously.. come on now.

I have a feeling this will get axed, i cant explain why but this story is not really that engaging and entertaining.
I share that feeling.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Senkuu might have underestimate Tsukasa a bit. The fact that he was able to identify the acid so easily, maybe he's not the "brainless brute" they seem to think he is. Wouldn't surprise me if he figures out how to make his own "cure". I've really enjoyed the last 2 chapters. I wonder if Tsukasa is a long term villain/rival or he's the first of many that Senkuu will revive since he wants to save everyone. Tsukasa isn't wrong when he says there are some evil people out there. They're just waiting to be revived so they can pick up where they left off I bet. Especially in a new world where there's no law.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Senkuu might have underestimate Tsukasa a bit. The fact that he was able to identify the acid so easily, maybe he's not the "brainless brute" they seem to think he is. Wouldn't surprise me if he figures out how to make his own "cure". I've really enjoyed the last 2 chapters. I wonder if Tsukasa is a long term villain/rival or he's the first of many that Senkuu will revive since he wants to save everyone. Tsukasa isn't wrong when he says there are some evil people out there. They're just waiting to be revived so they can pick up where they left off I bet. Especially in a new world where there's no law.
Tsukasa is kind of the example that proves his own point too. Waking him up was a bad call.

I suspect he will be a long term problem too. Where Senkuu and Tsukasa both have their own "tribes" fighting for the future of the world. The only reason Tsukasa would learn to wake up people is if he was going to do it too. So even if they win their fight Tsukasa will run off and start up his tribe of "bad guys".

Which I don't think is a bad idea. It's just that I think the execution is premature. That's something you do at chapter 20. Not at chapter 5. Let the implication that it's coming lay there a while as things progress then do a civil war type thing. This just come off as Senkuu doing something stupid by waking the guy up and Tsukasa immediately running off and going nuts.

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
[...] It's just that I think the execution is premature. That's something you do at chapter 20. Not at chapter 5. Let the implication that it's coming lay there a while as things progress then do a civil war type thing. This just come off as Senkuu doing something stupid by waking the guy up and Tsukasa immediately running off and going nuts.
I can empathise with your worry. Inagaki tends to focus on characters more than plot, but i disagree.

Tsukasa's introduction is a mere bluff to catch the shonen reader's interest; now, the proper way of action would be the couple running of this 'danger', Taiju would like to stay but Yuzuriha must try to change his mind, after all a nuclear bomb affecting the whole planet happened years before, Japan now it's a greenhouse. Boichi surely accepted this chance in WSJ to draw something at world scale, i don't even worried about this stances of Senkuu and Tsukasa. Much more i love to read something that makes me comprehend nature, just as Dr. Stone does.

Regarding the cancellation chance, there's been ages since i don't inform myself about ToC's bottom. It brings an specific thematic to the magazine, it would move fans of the authors to read it and the genre is rather hard to publish it on a weekly basis, i think it might be given some time, like with Psyren's case. And i found it much better than my example, whether it's long or short, it would be nice to be a short series to me, a long one with more than 20 volumes, whatever the case, it would be redundant because of previous works of both authors, quality talking though.

It was a well paced chapter, i enjoyed the reactions and images of the trio, and loved Senkuu's thought about how the body was the responsible in creating the stone shield just as a biologic reaction. I just hope for Yuzuriha anything but a fool or sloppy personality, she must excel over Taiju which is the stupid one already.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Tsukasa's revival was necessary since they were threatened by lions. As for him becoming an antagonist already, I think it's a good thing because there has been nothing really exciting in this manga so far. And it's not like Senkuu and Taijuu were a particularly interesting duo, their interactions and plans are just not enough.

xzaizenx

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Yeah out of the new manga I only see We can't Study to continue. Although I am rooting for the Golf manga

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Tsukasa's revival was necessary since they were threatened by lions. As for him becoming an antagonist already, I think it's a good thing because there has been nothing really exciting in this manga so far. And it's not like Senkuu and Taijuu were a particularly interesting duo, their interactions and plans are just not enough.
That's a fair point. There wasn't a lot going on but my counterpoint to that is that this isn't that interesting either.

Them fighting it out with the "strongest highschool kid" through macgyver style methods is a thing that's going to happen. But is it better then them going around and waking people up and trying to figure out why everybody suddenly turned to stone? As presented I don't think it is. If a genuine friendship had built up between Tsukasa and them before the split I think it might be different but that groundwork just hasn't been done.

So to me this is a series trying to run before it can crawl.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a fair point. There wasn't a lot going on but my counterpoint to that is that this isn't that interesting either.

Them fighting it out with the "strongest highschool kid" through macgyver style methods is a thing that's going to happen. But is it better then them going around and waking people up and trying to figure out why everybody suddenly turned to stone? As presented I don't think it is. If a genuine friendship had built up between Tsukasa and them before the split I think it might be different but that groundwork just hasn't been done.

If the whole point of next chapter is staying and fighting "the strongest highschool kid" then that gives this series, in my opinion, less then a 40% chance of staying power once the chapter ends regardless of whether or not Tsukasa is a reacquiring antagonist. The major flaws I see in this series are: that there is no sense of danger at all (which really kills the mood of the manga sense it's suppose to be them surviving), how one of the main characters is a literal genius which at least for me kills all mystery sense it looks like he knows all the answers, and the total empty void the writer has made the world with no other character, at least with the current knowledge we've been given, except for the four "main characters"

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

The concept is not too interesting but what matters the most is the execution for things like this. That's what I want to see, how it will be executed. It has been too monotonous with these chapters full of exposition and investigations.

A change of pace was needed IMO.

kusiobache

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Macedonia
I don't like Tsukasa. I don't think he is necessary to deal with wild beasts, and I disagree with his ideas/logic.

He doesn't want bad people revived. Okay, I get this. But they wouldn't be revived at the beginning anyway. Reviving a lazy/spoiled person anytime soon wouldn't make sense; they would just be a burden on the group.

I guess some people are mean/evil and also hard working. In which case, reviving such a person could lead to them claiming land and trying to keep others away. I can agree on that. However, the way the world is now there is no way one person could manage that much land. Not to mention being with the group is beneficial to all, in order to deal with things like wild animals.

Granted, all I've said above only applies to Non-OP characters. Giving that Tsukasa is OP, and I think evil (?), I can agree that others like him should not be revived (yet). But if he wasn't evil then there wouldn't be an issue...

Theres also the issue that someone could pretend to be good, and wait until they can feasibly get something valuable. However, I wouldn't mind Senkuu/Taiju/Yuzuriha someone being able to read people's hearts or true intentions.

The point I am trying to make above is that I think Tsukasa's worries do not/should not have a place in the story yet. It's too evil for them to be knowingly revived, and one or two of them being unknowingly revived I believe can be dealt with (and be interesting).

Also, regarding Senkuu wanting to rebuild civilization. I don't think that can feasible happen in their lifetime (a year has already passed, and they have a LONG way to go). That being said, I would not mind it if the manga went the way of waking people up and working towards that goal, and at the end of the manga they somehow achieve it (because the frozen people have the knowledge, so materials and tools are the issue, assuming a lot of the frozen people have not given up and died). I actually think I would enjoy such a plot.

Franckie

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the premise of the story, but I still need a few more chapters to determine to what extent I like the manga's execution. Tsukasa has a point about humanity's monsters, and his hypocrisy about the whole ordeal is why he is a villain. I want to see how this plays out.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I might drop this one for now.

I still like the premise but the Tsukasa thing is just not something I'm finding interesting at all. It's not even a reaction to the character it's just way too soon. The series has no truly developed characters so it can't support thank kind of conflict. Instead of fixing that problem it's letting this contrived conflict take all the air out of the room.

It's certainly true that the lack of threat or mystery was a problem. But doing the whole Tsukasa thing at this stage did far more damage than good, in my opinion.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
I swear that Riichiro (the writer) can't make a cohesive story: first they get attacked by lions and think they need to revive Tsukasa for protection and now Senkuu pulls out a crossbow, he so happen to have, out of nowhere, I can't give Yuzuriha to much flack since she hasn't really done anything but she comes across as just a love interest and nothing else.

I think I might drop this one for now.

I still like the premise but the Tsukasa thing is just not something I'm finding interesting at all. It's not even a reaction to the character it's just way too soon. The series has no truly developed characters so it can't support thank kind of conflict. Instead of fixing that problem it's letting this contrived conflict take all the air out of the room.

It's certainly true that the lack of threat or mystery was a problem. But doing the whole Tsukasa thing at this stage did far more damage than good, in my opinion.
I agree Tsukasa was an antagonist that should've come about down the line not this early in the story. I don't see it as characters not being develop, but more of not being placed into situations that would cause them to develop.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I swear that Riichiro (the writer) can't make a cohesive story: first they get attacked by lions and think they need to revive Tsukasa for protection and now Senkuu pulls out a crossbow, he so happen to have, out of nowhere, I can't give Yuzuriha to much flack since she hasn't really done anything but she comes across as just a love interest and nothing else.

I agree Tsukasa was an antagonist that should've come about down the line not this early in the story. I don't see it as characters not being develop, but more of not being placed into situations that would cause them to develop.
However it came about there is just some very crucial things missing. Really basic stuff too.

Like the fact that they revive and it's just the two of them. And the only thing they seem to have thought about is waking up that girl. Don't they have other friends? Teachers? The people who raised them? Mentors? Hell, even celebrities they admire? They should have attachments beyond what we've seen but the story hasn't even touched on that stuff. A few arcs where they go to dangerous places to rescue those statues could have been awesome and deepening our understanding of who these characters are and lend a bit of emotional weight. Maybe even build up the mystery of what happened to the world along the way. I would have been totally into that.

Instead it jumped right to a cartoonish super villain.:eyeroll

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
I swear that Riichiro (the writer) can't make a cohesive story
Have you read Eyeshield 21? If yes, then you should know that Tsukasa plays the part of Musashi. The only problem here is that he is abnormaly strong.

Chapter with no science, bad chapter. Plus how stupidity reigned above all, worse chapter. I like how weapons are the best invention of mankind though.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Taijuu stops Tsukasa thanks to his stupidity(kinda). The fact that Tsukasa told him to protect Yuzuriha means that he is planning something. HOpefully this will lead to some character development because he is the blandest in that bland cast.

Have you read Eyeshield 21? If yes, then you should know that Tsukasa plays the part of Musashi. The only problem here is that he is abnormaly strong.

Chapter with no science, bad chapter. Plus how stupidity reigned above all, worse chapter. I like how weapons are the best invention of mankind though.
I think he was talking about gunpowder itself, not weapons.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think he was talking about gunpowder itself, not weapons.
Even so. Fire. The Wheel. Penicillin. Gears. Steel. Plastic. The Compass. Concrete. Pulleys. Agriculture in general.

Gunpowder isn't actually in the top 10. Possibly not even the top 20. Everything a gun can do a bow and arrow can do. Just easier and faster. I guess, they can make grenades too but how useful are those going to be. Even if you take mining into account gun powder is not that revolutionary in the grand scheme of things. The stuff that's useful there isn't gunpowder based.

Last edited: