Question - Drawing help/tips | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Drawing help/tips

MangaBoy2106

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I love drawing but i am not good at it and i want to improve.

What drawing tools should i get? At the moment i have a mechanical pencil 0.7mm hb#2 and a Staedtler pigment liner 0.5 and 0.7mm.

Here is my deviantART account ( http://pader159.deviantart.com/gallery/ )which has some of my drawings on it. I can't draw bodies i can only draw heads and eyes and i find it really hard to get the left and right eyes that same and to draw the face tilted also i find hair the hardest part of it all it when i draw hair it always look like DBZ super saiyan hair.

When i drawing bodies they most of the time look out of proportion.

i want to practice but i don't know what to draw any tips on that?
Should i copy stuff like naruto or should i just make up my own style/art? :gwah

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
First of all, drawing tools don't matter. Not at all. A sheet of paper, a 2B pencil and an eraser should do the trick.

Secondly, draw bodies. Lots of them, even if you aren't good at it. Just draw them. If you avoid doing so you'll never improve. What will help is copying stuff like Naruto. Just copy (don't trace!) lots of panels to get the hang of it. Drawing real people would be better, but first things first.

In the end, all you need to do is draw a lot. At least once a day. You won't improve if you are lazy.

MangaBoy2106

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks that's very helpful what about the hair and stuff?

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I guess you shouldn't look at manga when it comes to hair. Just take real persons and draw their hair in a simple way. Should lead you away from the DBZ-ish hairstyles. At least I hope so. Never had that problem, so I can't talk from experience, but if you keep practicing and drawing different hairstyles, it should be alright.

In the end, as I mentioned before, it all comes down to practice. Copy lots of stuff (mainly real life stuff,though) and then draw, draw and draw. Someone once said "It's 10% talent and 90% practice."
I think it would also help to keep updating your DA every week. This way you'll be able to see improvements sooner rather than later.

MangaBoy2106

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks will do! :D very helpful but what do you like real life stuff?

Wayne

Reaction score
Country
Australia
what you should focus apo is first drawing faces and eyes mouths and anadamy once you got a constent flow than and only than put focus on things like hair and clothing