TV - DuckTales (2017) | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV DuckTales (2017)

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Jaws:

This was maybe my favorite episode up to date. It was whimsically funny, yet exciting, contained character developement and a great villain. Loving Magicas persona in this version.

Golden Lagoon of White Agony Plains:

Well they sure did a new take on Goldie. And I do kinda like it. Would make sense that Scrooges sweetheart is a adventurous femme-fatale. Glomgold is just too funny in this episode. I absolutely love him, but I do sometimes hope he would atleast sometimes feel like an actual threat. Only seriously treatable villain this far is Magica, and even she seems pretty whacky.

Only Child Day:

I think it was a cute episode, and pretty funny to boot. Speaking about new takes on characters, they sure did a complete 180 with Doofus. Well, he is still kind of a dimwit weirdo, but a totally evil one. I don't mind this change as much as some seem to do, since I absolutely hated the original Doofus.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Seems like the next episodes are gonna continue on the blast on the past line. Next one will have Gummi Bears cameo, then more Gizmo, and then sky pirates.

It really feels like they are building a Disney afternoon show universe, even Gummi Bears are in the lore :D

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Only Child Day: Yeah, not my favorite episode to date.. probably one of my least favorite tbh. This Doofus was more enjoyable than the old one though. And the “Dewey Dew-night part” was pretty hilarious, but elsewise it felt sorta weird in the pacing and editing, the story didn’t really do anything for me tbh. Individual moments were funny but it’s the first one where I sort of sat waiting for it to end.

Next one we’ll watch is Jaw$, excited to see more Magica. :zomg
Btw, did you spot the skeleton of Bubba (from OG DuckTales) in Dewey's TV studio? Guess the showrunners hated that character too. :XD

Okay, Jaw$ was a fantastic episode. I agree, I'm absolutely loving Magica's persona in this version, non-stop fun!

Flintheart is such a fun character as well, but I have to say... I didn't really care for the Goldie episode. Not sure why but Allison Janney just didn't really fit the role tbh. And I love Allison Janney... The episode itself felt kinda dull as well. A lot happened, but it didn't feel like I was supposed to care. It could have been a great adventure chapter but idk, something about the pacing and the timing of everything just felt off.

But the Agent 22 episode... whoosh! Did not see that Gummiberry juice storyline coming. When villain chick started talking about bounce-bounce-bouncing I was like... wait...! And then with the Gummi Bear silhouettes, Dunwyn Castle and when Beakley gave her the recipe I was like THAT'S IT! And Scrooge and Webby bonding was lovely. Great action, great intrigue and story. I wanna watch this episode again to see if I missed any references.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Loving the little Dewey Dew-Night clips on YouTube, too.

OMFG I just watched the trailer for the rest of S01 from SDCC. If you don't want any heads-up about the rest of the season, don't watch it. But OMFG does it build the hype.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yeah, the Bubba reference was hilarious.

Agent 22 episode was amazing, as was the Other Bin. Things are really moving forwards a finale...

Which looks absolutely insanely amazing! So glad with the route they took with Magica, building her into the big villain.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
That Don Karnage episode.

I. love. it!

My wife didn’t even know there was gonna be a TailSpin crossover (I had intentionally kept her in the dark because TailSpin was her favorite show as a kid, tied with Darkwing) so when the sky pirates appeared she was like “this feels a LOT like TailSpin...” and then we both sat giddy with glee throughout the whole thing. Being musical fans and occasional musical artists we absolutely loved this take on it as well. The crew was hilarious. :lmao

Such TailSpin reboot hype right now! :zomg

Now we have two more episodes – the Gizmoduck and the Other Bin one – and then we’re caught up (the final episodes will be aired in order). Watching those tomorrow probably.
Okay, the Other Bin episode was intense. Magica is a ten times better villain than she ever was. Such hype.

The Gizmoduck episode was also great. Really liking Fenton, still loving to hate Mark Beaks, and Gyro’s character has also grown on me a lot every ep he’s been in.

And that Sailor Moon transformation was a delight. :lmao

Waddleduuuuck~

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
The moment I realized what they were doing with Karnage and the sky pirates, I knew you'd love it Orgz :lmao

The Secrets of Castle McDuck was amazing! The show really is on a hot streak towards the finale.

It was a fun twist that Scrooges parents are alive. Druidic runes eh? Makes me wonder if Magicas grudge is related to the immortality things that have been going on.

It was great to see the boys showcase their talents and work together while Webby was out of commission.

Absolutely loved what they did there with the ghosts of McDucks. In the comics it was always such a huge thing that Scrooge was the last McDuck - they negated it here in dual level. His parents are there and the ghosts approved the boys - the deserved heirs to McDuck legacy.

Launchpad was a great mock Donald.

Also, I miss Donald. Hopefully he'll be as central stage as the trailer made it seem in the finale.

Elusia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
So, I recently caught up with Ducktales that just aired its final episode of its first season. I gotta say, as someone who didn't grow up watching the original, I really love the reboot and say it's probably better than the 1987 version. While there are few downsides, most of things in this show just clicks for me, and I hope they do alot better in S2, which thankfully but worriedly, is at the end of the year (October to November-ish)

The final ep itself is great. I do have nitpicks here and there, but nothing that distracts me from disliking it. It nods to some episodes and Magica is a great villain, though I guess my main issue is her design, but I'm probably on the unpopular side.
And the ending. Della Duck hype! :zomg

I am looking forward to the next season with open arms. Hoping for more great character developments and new people and plot threads that keep us on the edge of our seats :^_^

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Holy blathering blatherskite I loved every second of it. :wtf :zomg :scry

I'll write about a bit more later when I have settled down a bit and have more time, but all I can say is... MOON THEME! NAILED IT!

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Holy blathering blatherskite I loved every second of it. :wtf :zomg :scry

I'll write about a bit more later when I have settled down a bit and have more time, but all I can say is... MOON THEME! NAILED IT!
Ha, I immediately thought of you when I heard it. :hi5

Seriously, this was too good. I was afraid Magica would lose her charm and likability if she ever got a physical form back, but she only became even more wickedly hilarious. Perfect balance of quirky and downright scary. And when she was in Lena as well, the way they animated her was so great. :XD
And also, the image of Magica’s shadow been cast out through Lena’s eyes was so creepy every time.

Donald with an intelligent, intelligible voice was so damn eerie but hilarious all the same. “I am the storm.” “Seriously, have you always been saying things like that?:lmao

Launchpad freestyling to Darkwing Duck theme.

The cruel way of ending with a cliffhanger like that when there’s not even an air date announced for season 2. My poor, woo-oo’d heart. :emocat (Curious to see how she can breathe etc in the moon.)

Perfect episode.

Elusia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
@Organizized
To be honest, I'm more curious that Scrooge didn't find her on the moon. Maybe she was stuck in the storm for so long that she's recently there after the search ended... idk. We'll see in season 2.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Gonna revive this thread.

Whatever Happened to Della Duck is probably my favorite episode so far in the series. I adore Della as a character, and love that she’s basically a combination of her sons’ personalities, with Donald’s rage. Paget Brewster, the VA, did an amazing job carrying this episode; splendid comedic timing, great vigour and when needed some serious feels-inducing emotion.

The way the episode is played out, through Della’s video diaries, works absolutely great.

It’s undeniable that the music in the episode is one of the best parts, though. When Della goes to rebuild the Spear of Selene and those rock-chords of the Moon Theme started playing... I got shivers all over my body. When the actual melody started, I already got a lump in my throat out of sheer nostalgia. And then later, of course, when Della sang her lullaby version of the tune, I seriously teared up, big time.

That lullaby is so sad because she sings about being “unafraid of the unknown, because I’ll face it all with you”... which of course she isn’t. Heck, her kids could even be considered too big to be sung lullabies to now..

As Ust said (when we discussed the ep), those Moon people are totally potential upcoming villains. Not just Della’s “new best friend”, but the leader guy as well seemed really ominous at the end. Moon People vs. Earthlings battle coming up later in the season?

Also, I tweeted Frank Angones, asking if the Moon Mite is indeed based on the Ohmu from Nausicaä, but he probably didn’t see it. Still, I’m sure it is so I went and added that to the IMDb trivia page for the episode anyway. :hmph :sweat

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Whatever happened to Della Duck is hands down my favorite episode as well! Dellas characterization was great, sharing traits with Donald and his sons (who themselves all reflect an aspect of Scrooge). She just passed Donald as my series favorite.

The use of Moon theme was phenomenal. I already got that cheerful grin all across my face when they rocked it during the building montage and I were already happy with it. But then came the lullaby version with those heart wrenching lyrics. And que the waterfalls in my eyes.

The moonies are definetly sinister. Most likely the end season big threat.

I've liked season 2 this far, but it has lacked the brilliance that was the latter half of season 1.

I liked the Christmas episode, especially teenaged tormented artist Donald. And I liked the one with the mini-ray and Louie developing. Sure, revival of the 3 Caballeros was also nostalgic. But not untill Della I've been that excited about the series. Now the hype is back.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Treasure of the Found Lamp! 7/5/19
The 87 Cent Solution! 9/5/19
Friendship Hates Magic! 15/5/19
The Dangerous Chemistry of Gandra Dee! 16/5/19

So much potential just from the titles! Also, four episodes in two weeks! :zomg

Curious to see if they’ve changed Gendra Dee’s character as much as most others. She wasn’t exactly my fav character in the old show, but I still chuckle at her becoming a robotics expert because “the nail polish class was full” (or something like that). :tem

EVEN BETTER!

Okay, I can finally watch the new batch of episodes. Still determined to watch them all in production order, and the latest one (Friendship Hates Magic) was actually supposed to be the one to follow up ‘Whatever Happened to Della Duck?’. Still better than season 1 though, where the airing order seemed pretty much randomized. And this means I have six episodes to binge in correct order now. :zomg

Friendship is Magic : This was a great one with good feels, and good to see a follow up on Lena and the Shadow War. I like the Webby-Lena-Violet trio, hope we see more of them as a sort of counter to the triplets kinda.
(Also, Launchpad and Beakley’s Darkwing bonding was hilarious, and it actually makes sense they moved that episode closer to the last one I guess.)

Treasure of the Found Lamp : That this is probably the weakest episode of the new batch says a lot about their quality, since it’s actually a very fun adventurous romp. (I’m just no big fan of the Beagle Boys most of the time.)
Funny, I thought I recognized D’jinn’s voice, and it’s the guy who plays Salim in American Gods (a mortal Muslim who falls in love with - you got it - a Jinn called Ifrit. :XD)

The Outlaw Scrooge McDuck : I just love Lin-Manuel Miranda as Fenton (and his ancestor) so much. And him building an old-timey Gizmoduck, while a bit over the top, was pretty hilarious. Also, have I mentioned that I love Gyro at this point? Any doubts I had about his character in season 1 is blown away, he’s one of my favorites now.
Still not the biggest fan of Allison Janney as Goldie (though I usually love everything she’s in) but it’s fine I guess.

The 87 Cent Solution : This one was absolutely hilarious all the way through. Probably the funniest episode so far in the show. Scrooge going slightly crazy, the family’s reactions throughout and obviously the whole twist was just hilariously great. Glomgold is a bit too much in some episodes, but in this episode he passed the “too much” line and came out on the other side in the most hilarious way possible. :lmao

The Golden Spear : Poor Donald. The earth sequences with everything stressing him out were lots of fun, but obviously the Moon parts were this episode’s strong points. Just like we thought, that Moon leader was ominous as heck. Felt so bad that Penumbra was just starting to come around to Della, too, all conflicted. I’m guessing she might turn on the leader guy at some point once they invade Earth, to repay Della for what she did.
But seriously, that ending... THIS IS THE MOST CRUEL THING TO DO TO US VIEWERS EVER! Both me and my wife were just breathless by the way they did that, with Donald running to find Della and accidentally launching into space. What the fuck, show?

Nothing Can Stop Della Duck : And this episode had us both crying several times over. The whole family’s reactions were just too much. We were both acting like Webby (“This is too much for my heart!” or w/e) the whole way through. And also, IS THIS THE LAST THING WE GET TO SEE OF DONALD THIS SEASON!? God damn that’s the most painful cliffhanger in forever if that’s the case.

Raiders of the Doomsday Vault : Fun adventurous follow-up, good to see Della bonding with Dewey (hope we see her do so with the others too though). And I just love Della’s character, man. Can’t wait to see her more and more grow into the gang.
This was one of those eps where Glomgold got a bit... to much, at times.. but overall still lots of fun.

Only two episodes to go, for us. Which means FINALLY gonna watch The Duck Knight Rises tomorrow. The hype is surreal (and I’ve been dying from keeping away from spoilers).

Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Okay, I know I’m the only one posting here, but..

A-hem...
GOOFY!
BALOO!
RESCUE RANGERS!
DAISY!
GOSALYN!
MORE DARKWING!
HINT AT MORE GUMMY BEARS!
AND SO MUCH MORE!

ALSO:

Or is that a grown-up Kit and not Baloo? Meaning the blonde bear gal near him is a grown up Molly?

(And let’s hope they make Bubba a better character, like they did so many others... or at least make him overly obnoxious on purpose.)

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Omg! Amazing!

Daisy looks good! Really wanna see what kind of dynamic they build with her and Donald in this version.

Good point about the bears seeming older. Maybe that's why Max isn't there, just Goofy - he is already out there on world tour.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
A bit late, but... R.I.P. Russi Taylor, voice of the triplets in original Ducktales (and Minnie Mouse, and a dozen voices on The Simpsons, and so many more).

And now (since I don’t watch new Simpsons seasons) this is the last thing I’ll have heard of her. Full circle, kinda.

And now the voice of Minnie Mouse joins her husband, the voice of Mickey Mouse, in the proverbial afterlife.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

New episode on Tuesday and then every weekday for two weeks! Yeahs!!!