Character - Echizen Ryoga | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Echizen Ryoga

Skylack

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
How come he would have a older brother? if you watch again the prince of tennis there is a episode regarding about Nanjiro Echizen 15 years where he met Echizen's mother. That is the time they marry and have a son. 9 Months of Pregnancy am i right? It also show in the episode 10 years before where Echizen was a 2 or 3 years of age and yet he have a older brother with 3 or 4 years of age gap. How could that happen? Again 15 years and yet on the manga his brother was High Schooler. High Schooler has an average of 16-19 years of age.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
How come he would have a older brother? if you watch again the prince of tennis there is a episode regarding about Nanjiro Echizen 15 years where he met Echizen's mother. That is the time they marry and have a son. 9 Months of Pregnancy am i right? It also show in the episode 10 years before where Echizen was a 2 or 3 years of age and yet he have a older brother with 3 or 4 years of age gap. How could that happen? Again 15 years and yet on the manga his brother was High Schooler. High Schooler has an average of 16-19 years of age.
He isnt Nanjiroh's son in blood, he's adopted

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
It's real... at least that's what they said in the movie IIRC (...and Ryoga was born in the movie, so I guess Konomi will leave that explanation).

roxaz

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
yes it is, he's addopted
on the movie The Prince of Tennis: The Two Samurai

ashore

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Usually movie arent cannon, but since he's introduced in shin pot, well its canon now, but they never met , so pretend the movie never happened. we the readers already got possible insider info from watching the movie.

Friss

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Usually movie arent cannon, but since he's introduced in shin pot, well its canon now, but they never met , so pretend the movie never happened. we the readers already got possible insider info from watching the movie.
He has also been featured in the OVA's

iceemperor

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Now we know he is blood related. Hes ryomas half older brother. On this note, do you think he's as was stated in the movie, the one closest to the former samurai nanjiro.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I read a translated Konomi interview in regards to the movie. He said that Ryoma secretly had always wanted an older brother. When Konomi was asked for ideas for the movie, he introduced Ryoga.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
So he thought of Ryoga a while back but couldnt bring him into canon due to the limitations of plot.

-Ken-

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Well, the anime and the movie both isn't canon, so whatever happens in the anime that contradicts the manga isn't really plot hole regardless.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well the movie is sort of canon. Now we know Ryoga exists and that he lived with the Echizens for awhile. That much from the movie was canon.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
The ending is canon as the first stringers picked him up overseas and ryoga at the end went off to explore the world. The whole movie is like canon and non-canon mixed up. The part of staying with the echizens is canon but the rest except the ending is non-canon. That was just for the movie.

Ryoga might actually be quite difficult for konomi to develop right now as he seems rather perfect. He can counter the glowing shot, he can hit 11 balls simultaneoisly including the orange and he is an echizen. I think we might actually see nanjiroh through ryoga.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Well, the part of the movie that was shown in the manga is canon, but only those part. Being part canon doesn't make the whole thing canon. The PoT anime is part canon as well with all the fillers and modification that it made, but it still retains many canon events.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Still, its partly canon so it wasn't completely uncanon.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I don't get how that contradicts my point. The timing is all weird anyways. No one else in the camp knows Ryoga. Ryoma doesn't remember him until the SPoT chapter where he did. So the movie have to happen after the camp. But after the camp the move shown is pretty much all weak.

It wasn't completely uncanon, but the PoT anime was never completely canon anyways, even the National add some part during Ryoma vs Yukimura, I believe. It still doesn't change my point that whatever happen only in the anime that contradicts the manga simply doesn't matter because the anime isn't suppose to be canon material unless the stuff is mention to be in the manga. Since Konomi wasn't the one who wrote the movie, there's no need to use anything in the movie that wasn't shown in the manga as canon.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Konomi didn't write the movie but Ryoga was his initial idea.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Yes, and? I don't get your point. What point are you trying to say? I already say that Ryoga was canon because he's in the manga. Also, the whole Seigaku team was in the movie and Seigaku is also Konomi's creation. What about it?

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Parts of the movie was canon.

At the end of the movie where Ryoga said he's going to explore the world connects with how the 1st string picked him up from abroad.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
The parts about Ryoga being adopted is canon, yes. That's the part where the manga mentions and shows, that's why it is canon.

But every other parts, unless the manga mention it, are not canon. Ryoma doesn't even remember meeting Ryoga before, which I believe he did meet in the movie.

I don't get why that matter, though.

Last edited: