Multiple Focuses - Edited Mangashop (Helper application) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Multiple Focuses Edited Mangashop (Helper application)

Stmated

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I hope this is in the right place. Could not find anything suitable. And sorry in advance for the loads of rambling.

The goal of this application is to get rid of all situations in as many aspects of Edited Manga as is possible where you need to work around the available tools instead of working with tools specifically made for what we do.

After being in Edited Manga for about 5 years, I got the idea of starting to put helpful tools into one package, that will attempt to cover as many Edited Manga-related topics as possible. Script writing and batch scanning with level, align and crop are written right now (although the scanning and its tools are most likely very buggy).

A prime example of tedious tasks, is translating. With its endless tabbing between script file and text editor. Would it not be nice to always write in the script and just write what you want and the image viewer simply follows what you type? Well, this one does. When you write a new line that says "Page 15," it will automatically change to the related image, as long as you added the whole directory of images through the ImageManager.

I've given an old version of this application, simply called PageTranslator, to a very select few translators; and they all loved it. They have trouble ever going back to just Notepad. Even thought the features may not be that big, it's eternally more comfortable. And I recently got my will back to rewrite it all into the bigger effort that is not just about translation (although the main focus).

I am open for most wacky ideas, since those are the ones I like; but nothing which looks anything like any Photoshop feature since it would be incredibly ridiculous to copy its functionality. OCR support is planned into sometime in the future and a dictionary system as well.

It is a bit difficult explaining how things work without you testing it and checking the available hotkeys (to grasp what can be done) and preferences and reading the in-application help (although the help has about as much uniteresting ramblings as this post).

Remember that this is the first actual release, so *don't* expect a whole awful lot. For example, it is not yet possible to read from compressed libraries to view images. Windows Vista may also run into some trouble, but I'd love to hear from you if you have it and is still able to scan.

You can get the application from http://www.n-u-l-l.net/wiki/index.php/Edited Mangashop, and I would not be surprised if it does not start on several computers since I have only used this locally and nowhere else. And since developed internally I have not done much work on making the application *understandable* -- so if something is confusing, I will work on that part.

There is no bug-/feature-tracker or anything yet, so you will have to ask about stuff in here... if you even read this far and still care. I have never spent any time on this forum so I don't really know how many people actually translate or do other work.

Please tell me how I can easier tell what this application is about or what it should be able to do to help you with your daily work. You chance to get rid of everyday hassles.

[eni]Thread moved to the correct forum :amuse [/eni]

I started a project forum at http://stmated.no-ip.org/phpbb, in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:

PsyCLown

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thanks!!

Seems really awesome, although im having a slight problem.
Will give it to my translator and see how he enjoys it. Hopefully he doesnt get the same problem.

Im running Vista 64bit, where he is running XP 32bit AFAIK.

Seems REALLY useful though!!

Stmated

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'm working on solving most bugs, and it seems there are a few in the latest one, but many are fixed in what I'll release momentarily.

Stmated

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I just released a new version, in beta, and moved the site to http://Edited Mangashop.n-u-l-l.net.

A lot of the tools have been improved, so it's up to par with, for example, pnyxtr's applications. Perhaps except the cropping which does not have the nice zooming feature of his.

But the plus side with mine is that they are all in the same application: scanning, leveling, aligning, cropping. So you don't need to go over the pages several times with several applications, hence wasting quite some hours in loading time just there. And the interface does not freeze while scanning, enabling you to work on the current page while the next is scanning.

Text templates makes it easy to create a template that with just a click of a key, a new "next page" token is inserted ("pg.123" if on page 122, for example) or whatever you'd like to have.

And since the text editor recognizes what page you are on while writing, and all parts of the application are communicating through projects, the image viewer will automatically change into that page. So you will never have to actually care about changing page. You only need to care about writing.

There are also automatic text filters for the scripts, helping to keep your script to a more standardized format. For example by not allowing "...." or ".." or "!!!!!" and much more.

Spellchecking, script difference comparison, search, et cetera.

I'm trying to sell the idea here, since I really need testers ^^; I hope you'll help me out, or that I actually help *you* out.

Stmated

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Released version 0.3.0 yesterday at http://Edited Mangashop.n-u-l-l.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46. It makes it a easier to use when it comes to projects and whatnot. You can read about other changes in the linked thread. The scanning features are still a bit shaky.

I'd love to have more testers who can give ideas for more features, or report bugs. But I guess there will be more attraction to the application once I get in some typesetting features.