Theory - Elbaf Knows Some of Void Century Truths | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Elbaf Knows Some of Void Century Truths

DeadlyBeast

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The chapter discussions focusing on giants got me started to think that Elbalf will have some knowledge of what happened during the Void Century. My reasons are:
  • Elbaf does not appear to be a WG affiliated country despite its importance/power. This implies despite WG wanting them they are powerful enough to directly resist being forced as member country for the last 800 years.
  • Elbaf unlike Wano doesn't seem to be a closed off country e.g. we have seen plenty of giants in the story while seeing Samurai was not a thing. Also in BM flashbacks didn't appear that the geography made the island difficult to access.
  • In the recent chapters we saw that some giants are aware of Nika so his name is not forgotten. They seem to have some connection to the Sun God that we aren't aware of:
    In the spoilers we see that Dorry & Brogy have attacks with Sun in them seemingly making this connection even more significant
  • Saul and other giants hauled off all the knowledge that Ohara had since they understood the significance and were not afraid of risk with the WG finding out. To me indicates they would not care if WG comes at them and makes it more likely they could know stuff from original Void Century 800 years ago.
    • It seems likely that the last RP is on Elbaf at this point too considering where the story is going.
  • Giants have really long lifespans with 300 being reasonable for them. With this type of lifespan Void Century 800 years ago would only be 3-4 generations ago. And WG couldn't erase all the history without killing off all the giants in the past but since Elbaf clearly continued and is still around hard to believe none of the people from back then passed down history to descendants. Since WG is formidable force can understand if they kept this secret to only subset of giants. Maybe Loki and the elite will fill in the SHs since Luffy is Nika.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
They definitely will know some things, but probably not everything, otherwise the real goal of the WG wouldn't just be Poneglyph, but also interaction with giants being a crime.
While they're not closed off, it seems they tend to keep to themselves since we don't have many Giant Pirates around, we know of only 1 at the start of the series, and now 2.

One thing I have noticed is whenever the WG say something is bad, it tends to not be, it tends to be Propaganda. Not sure they've said much about the Giants, but they said they rampaged through the world once. I'd imagine the WG attacked them, and the Giants retaliated as opposed to the Giants simply going out of their way to terrorise the world.
I'd imagine they know a thing or 2 for sure.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I don't think they know everything that happened back then but some of that knowledge likely got directly passed down similar to Wano where the Shogun's family knew about the creation of the ponegylphs. I'm thinking the giants may know more than Wano did since they at least appear to have a direct connection with Nika.

I do like your idea that WG tried to do something against them in the past and the giant pirates were essentially retaliation. I don think that's plausible and the WG may have tried to wipe out Elbaf to erase knowledge of Nika but failed. And Elbaf may have kept stuff secret to not cause too direct a confrontation with the WG.

Will definitely be interesting to learn what they know. Personally I think Joyboy himself might have been a giant from Elbaf considering the giant Strawhat we saw in the greenhouse Imu tends to chill in.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I do like your idea that WG tried to do something against them in the past and the giant pirates were essentially retaliation. I don think that's plausible and the WG may have tried to wipe out Elbaf to erase knowledge of Nika but failed. And Elbaf may have kept stuff secret to not cause too direct a confrontation with the WG.
This probably almost likely happened, I would actually wager this will be something we get told about in the Elbaph arc.

Vanshrimp

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
i expect them to do more then simply know some of the missing history, i think, they have been involved in whatever happened during that time. (Giant Oars was called the island carried, so he must have played some role in changing the world)

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
i expect them to do more then simply know some of the missing history, i think, they have been involved in whatever happened during that time. (Giant Oars was called the island carried, so he must have played some role in changing the world)
Definitely agree here. I think Joyboy was a giant from Elbaf too so the giants and Elbaf specifically likely were an ally of the AK and fought against the WG. Because I believe they played an important role and have long life spans it would be more difficult for the WG to have erased that history. I'm guessing the elders (role that Sukyaka played in Wano) will have stories of what happened back then that they learned from their own grandparents or something like that.

RaisinRisin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Elbaf could have gotten an influx of (secret) survivors of the "Gigantic (Ancient) Kingdom." Also, Saul and/or the scholar must have brought even more knowledge to Elbaf with the books they brought. (Though at the same time I haven't been expecting Ohara would have gained knowledge about Nika's significance even if they read about the name; seems more like something giants knew on their own. I'd love to see what Shandians, Birkans, Gan Fall, and maybe Urouge, would know too. Also Lunarians.)

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
  • In the recent chapters we saw that some giants are aware of Nika so his name is not forgotten. They seem to have some connection to the Sun God that we aren't aware of:
    In the spoilers we see that Dorry & Brogy have attacks with Sun in them seemingly making this connection even more significant
Not necessarily, Elbaf gathered all the books of Ohara, which is where Vegapunk learned about Nika and the Void Century.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
Elbaf could have gotten an influx of (secret) survivors of the "Gigantic (Ancient) Kingdom." Also, Saul and/or the scholar must have brought even more knowledge to Elbaf with the books they brought. (Though at the same time I haven't been expecting Ohara would have gained knowledge about Nika's significance even if they read about the name; seems more like something giants knew on their own. I'd love to see what Shandians, Birkans, Gan Fall, and maybe Urouge, would know too. Also Lunarians.)
Not necessarily, Elbaf gathered all the books of Ohara, which is where Vegapunk learned about Nika and the Void Century.
I do think that Elbaf similar to Wano was directly involved in whatever happened during the Void Century and likely hid some secrets similar to Wano about the poneglyph. Not sure what they learned from Ohara texts vs what they knew all on their own here. Personally I do lean towards them having known something on their own since even Buccaneers who are supposed to be descendants of giants know about Nika. We'll obviously have to wait until we get to Elbaf arc to confirm.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The new chapter clearly cements that the giants in Elbaf know about Nika and seem to actually worship him as their god. The continued use of Sun God based named attacks by Dorry & Brogy also cements that further. What's not clear is if the WG has known this and just not dared try taking out all of Elbaf or if the giants have kept this secret, even the ones that joined the Marines.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Most likely the Giants is too much for the Marines to silence.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Based on latest chapter, Nika is a god in their culture, they know of his appearance, but no idea if they know the name Nika. It might even be knowledge only known by a few in Elbaph and not common knowledge.
Gorosei also seemed surprised they might know about Nika, so this shows they either don't know a lot about Giants or the Giants are like Wano, and somewhat closed from the world.

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
I believe Elbaph the country of Giants, know a few vague details about the Void Century, previous kingdom & Nika. Given that their life spans are so long, they were able to pass down some of the info/lore from 800years ago.

That being said I believe they understand that they can’t challenge the WG nor should they until ever the time is right. So until then they went along with the status of the world.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most likely the Giants is too much for the Marines to silence.
Since the start of the story the giants have been seen as these super powerful force that no one should mess with and this has continued into the New World. Unfortunately the depiction of individual giants in combat has not lived up to this hype (until now with Dorry & Brogy in Egghead arc). I think Oda is finally making the giants portrayal match the narrative significance he's given them militarily so wouldn't be surprised if we encounter a giant in Elbaf that is able to fight a Admiral/Yonko in a 1v1 (similar to Oden in Wano). They are definitely not to be messed with and may have other advantages that are non combat similar to Wano with its difficulty in accessing it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Based on latest chapter, Nika is a god in their culture, they know of his appearance, but no idea if they know the name Nika. It might even be knowledge only known by a few in Elbaph and not common knowledge.
Gorosei also seemed surprised they might know about Nika, so this shows they either don't know a lot about Giants or the Giants are like Wano, and somewhat closed from the world.
Not clear if they know him as Nika but his appearance and being a Sun God is clearly a part of their culture. I'm guessing some of the giants in Elbaf know him as Nika, but he likely has another name there, guessing Sol which is the Norse sun god name, since the Elbaf is based on them. Aside from Elbaf's power this might explain why WG wasn't hard pressed in the past to erase them.

As far as the Gorosei's surprise I think that was more around the fact that Dorry & Brogy were taking Luffy's side and were supporting him. There isn't any past connection with SHs/Luffy and giants that were major so it is weird for them to get support SHs in such a dire situation. It probably did not help that they are referring to him as a god which likely why they now think the giants need to be erased.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I believe Elbaph the country of Giants, know a few vague details about the Void Century, previous kingdom & Nika. Given that their life spans are so long, they were able to pass down some of the info/lore from 800years ago.

That being said I believe they understand that they can’t challenge the WG nor should they until ever the time is right. So until then they went along with the status of the world.
Elbaf will likely know more than any country at this point. Not only do they have their own history/knowledge, long life spans etc. but they also have all of Ohara's knowledge too. Plus them still being in the future of the narrative means we the reader will learn more through the characters visiting Elbaf. I'm expecting Luffy to learn about his Sun God powers and what he stands for and maybe the identity of the original Joyboy as a giant from Elbaf.