Help - English Homework help thread ? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Help English Homework help thread ?

Jothesh2

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
*Hijacks thread*

Post here if you have any English homework related questions! :D

~Icei

Listen I always like to get on MangaHelpers, but every time I do so I always forget about my homework, so why not stay on MH and also do my homework. :D

I noticed a lot of people have high standards of English, so I ask someone to please tell me what kind of rhetorical device this might be?

"Our lives no longer belong to us alone; they belong to all those who need us desperately."

Last edited by a moderator:

Asusp3v4x

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Antithesis

establishes a clear, contrasting relationship between two ideas by joining them together or juxtaposing them, often in parallel structure. Human beings are inveterate systematizers and categorizers, so the mind has a natural love for antithesis, which creates a definite and systematic relationship between ideas:

Our lives no longer belong to us alone = first idea

they belong to all those who need us desperately = second idea

juxtaposing those two ideas they create a idea of confrontation...

Syphilias

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed a lot of people have high standards of English, so I ask someone to please tell me what kind of rhetorical device this might be?

"Our lives no longer belong to us alone; they belong to all those who need us desperately."
I see it as one of those "it's something that has and always will be" statements. It is stating with the left of semicolon that something is changing, that what will be in the time to come is something that is not already existing will show itself to "us," whoever that may be. We of course assume that "lives" are what we know as the phenomenon of "living." That this is not some other kind of life. What do you mean by life? If you mean our interactions with other people, then you may as well be saying "social lives," which are not connected with our actual "being alive" state.

The right of semicolon follows with a statement of who in fact "our lives" belong to after "something."

I find it funny how it states that "our lives NO LONGER belong to us," when there is no statement of what event could trigger this change...

I seem to be rambling. Please stop me if I am!