Explain what jealousy is? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Explain what jealousy is?

randimari

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Honest question, I've been having problems with this especially when I was high school and a freshman I college. Guys don't understand how spiteful girls can be towards other girls so I wanted to hear a guy's take on what jealousy is, girls can comment to of course.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Not sure I really get what you want people to say in this thread.

Jealousy is the desire to have what other people have, but I guess that isn't what you are meaning... you don't seem to want a definition of jealousy.

Sure, men also feel jealousy - if someone has something you want (even if you didn't know you wanted it before they obtained it), then it is a very human trait to feel jealous of them.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Not sure I really get what you want people to say in this thread.

Jealousy is the desire to have what other people have, but I guess that isn't what you are meaning... you don't seem to want a definition of jealousy.

Sure, men also feel jealousy - if someone has something you want (even if you didn't know you wanted it before they obtained it), then it is a very human trait to feel jealous of them.
I actually think what you described is envy. Jealousy, in my understanding is envy gone further. It's the feeling of your status/standing being threatened by someone else in a relationship/work enviroment/in a social circle. Not really just wanting what another person has, but feeling that the other person is somehow taking that something from you.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I always though of jealousy as being the carried out form of envy, when it involves more than 2 directions.

A is jealous because B is with C.

A is envious of B who is tall/masculine.

Something like that.

But to the OP, guys get jealous of other guys who have girls. Happens a bit when I was at school (where I probably noticed it more). It is made worse when people drink, can make trouble.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I actually think what you described is envy. Jealousy, in my understanding is envy gone further. It's the feeling of your status/standing being threatened by someone else in a relationship/work enviroment/in a social circle. Not really just wanting what another person has, but feeling that the other person is somehow taking that something from you.
Nah, in spoken English they are pretty much used interchangeably - A child could be jealous of their sibling having some sweets - that is hardly anything threatening their social standing.

Aye, jealousy amongst guys for partners is common.
So is jealousy about things like cars/jobs/trips to nice restaurants (DAMN MY FRIEND WHO WENT TO THE FAT DUCK! DAMN HIM TO HELL!!!)

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
For guys, jealously is more undertoned in a way, it's more of a "big on big" type of thing. For girls it's more spiteful. I'm in no way being sexist but it's just girls feel more hatred towards things other girls possess and they don't have, guys it depends more but when we get really jealous it'll lead to fights and stuff. Girls seemingly fight each other over the menial things, I have 2 sisters so I have proof of this.

Philia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Jealousy is when you like your friend's girlfriend :nod

Freid

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Jealousy is in contention with love as the most unnecessary emotions and whoever designed humans forgot to fix these bugs. They only serve to make people unhappy.

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Being Jealous is one of the Worst Feelings for me,happens through the most Illogical Things for me and when it happens i get it in a Massive Form like i can't even think of something else i have weird thoughts too like i think someone wants to "steal" A Person precious to me from me and is just trying to mock me and i even blow it off at said Person and make them go farther and farther away from me.
All in all it sucks for me sometimes i wish i had no feelings to begin with just so i could forget all that Depression i develop from it would make me feel better like a lot most certainly.
Being Jealous is hard to deal with for me because i don't know how to do it,it seems impossible for me to just ignore all that guess that's part of my Character that i can't ignore others but still.
Sometimes its Horrible,just recently had another Case of it wish it would've never happened now i think everything i do/did was wrong.
Well what can you do? :soclose
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Pretty sure it was an even bigger Mistake to talk with her about it because since that Time nothing's ever been like it was before,she said it was "Ok" but apparently its not i am worried i lost her completely now as a Friend that is i loved our Talks before we had a lot of fun but i guess i either don't pick her Interest anymore or i messed up with my Overthinking even though she told once that she already had something similar with another Guy i just went and Did another Mistake i was Blinded by my Emotions and i regret it now.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
It be like that broski. Just gotta move one and not let that shit drag you down too much. I think I've stopped getting overly jealous since freshman year of college, pointless. As much as I can be attracted to someone or go so far for them at the end of they there's someone else better for you. That's life though

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
It be like that broski. Just gotta move one and not let that shit drag you down too much. I think I've stopped getting overly jealous since freshman year of college, pointless. As much as I can be attracted to someone or go so far for them at the end of they there's someone else better for you. That's life though
I know how it feels to be left in the Desert and being forced to move forward ok?
Its not that i feel like that its dragging me down but that its holding me back from being who i really am.
I can take it sometimes honestly i admit its nothing bad as much as i can like Someone so can others too its as simple as that really.
But i have lets say "Phases" where i just go through Emotional Hell literally.

Raven

Registored User
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Jealousy is when you're worried when someone is trying to take what you have, That comes from the lack of confidence most of time and feeling insecure.

Jealousy is getting afraid of losing something you already have.

I love to see guys getting jealous, It shows their true feelings.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
I am victim of jealousy so i know what it feels.Jealousy to me is when someone cannot stand anything good happening to a certain person.

Jealousy is quite complex.You bought a video game and your friend don't have it so he may be jealous.But many times it may happen that the person who is jealous also has the same thing or got the same achievement.But they cannot stand others achieving it.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
You bought a video game and your friend don't have it so he may be jealous.
This is actually a really common misnomer, but what you're describing here is envy. Jealousy is the fear of losing something you have (or think you have), Envy is simply a reaction to not having something that someone else has.
I love to see guys getting jealous, It shows their true feelings.
Yeah, but there can sometimes be a fine line between jealousy and possessiveness.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
This is actually a really common misnomer, but what you're describing here is envy. Jealousy is the fear of losing something you have (or think you have), Envy is simply a reaction to not having something that someone else has.

Yeah, but there can sometimes be a fine line between jealousy and possessiveness.
Well that maybe true.What about the other categories i mentioned.

Regarding academic excellence?I am a victim of it.I am not boasting here.But my grades in school final and Honours was very good simply because of the hardwork of my father who is also a teacher and coached me personally.But my paternal aunt's son was very jealous of my grades for no reason.None so ever.And did many things lower me for no reason.But there were other people who had better grafes than me but he harbored no grudge against them.

So i have suffered both jealousy and envy.

Last edited:

Grimmjagger

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Feeling robbed of the one you like/love