Second Round - Fairy Tail vs. Edens Zero | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Second Round Fairy Tail vs. Edens Zero

Who wins?

• Fairy Tail

• Edens Zero

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda

Fairy Tail
Hiro Mashima
-

Edens Zero
Hiro Mashima

Rules- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it
Special Rules- We proudly encourage you to share the best pics of your Manga!
- Earn the possibility to win a badge by being the proudest Mangalover around!

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
So it's come to this my brothers and sisters. The future versus the past. Evolution versus stagnation.

Some would call this showdown a tragedy. Mashima's children fighting one another. But I disagree. It is simply the passing of the torch from one generation to the next. Fairy Tail is a great series but it was flawed. It did well in spite of it's imperfections but was never able to change them. And we should be grateful for those flaws because the lessons they taught have given rise to a brighter tomorrow.

Let me start by saying this simply and concisely. Eden Zero is better than Fairy Tail. To understand why that is true you have to understand two things about Fairy Tail and one thing about Eden Zero

The first are Fairy Tails' strengths. It was a fun, consistent, entertaining, and uplifting shounen battle manga. It was there to make it's readers smile. And that's what it did. Week after week. Month after month. Year after year. It would do anything it could to make that result happen. It embraced the shounen power fantasy and humor and ecchi moments. All without a hint of shame or concern.

The second are Fairy Tails' limitations. As fun and entertaining as it was, it was always shallow. Plots were simple. Emotions were simple. The many characters had almost no emotional range or complexity and a main character who represented a power fantasy from the very first moment you meet him and changed little if at all throughout his story. The set up was restrictive in having it centered around a magic guild too. It was never built to tell deep or varied stories. It was manga junk food for the most part. It would be fun to consume but it would never fully satisfy. And over time as fans wanted more, sadly, it could never offer that to them.

This brings us to Eden Zero and what needs to be understood about it. It is a series that was clearly built with complete awareness of the strengths and limitations of it's predecessor and some lessons learned from other shounen titles as well. It embraces the fun loving attitude of Fairy Tail. It is set in a world of limitless possibilities like One Piece. It uses tragedy as a foundation to build characters. It allows things to change and progress story to story giving a sense of progression and that the story is moving in a real way. It is a story about adventure. Across space. Across time. Where will they go? Who will they meet? What will they find? I'm excited to find out and, if you read Eden Zero, you will be too.

Vote for evolution, Vote for depth. Vote for a world without limits.

Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
EZ for me.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Spontaneously, I wanna go for Edens Zero. The first couple of chapters gave me a better feeling than I've had from FT for ages. On the other hand, Fairy Tail did grab me at the start, and it wasn't until quite some time through the story which I really started to realize I actually disliked it.

That said, I didn't actually like Edens Zero either. It may not be as bad as FT (yet?), but I honestly don't think I'll keep reading it for much longer.

Still, I'll go with my first gut feeling and vote kill Fairy Tai-... er, I mean, vote Edens Zero. Jammin deserves that much at least for his campaign. :nod

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Despite @Jammin misguided opinion on Mahjong, he at least came to FT's defense in the previous round.

Voting for EZ, since honestly this should be "Saki vs Edens Zero".

Venom

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Voting for ez coz it has a much better start and interesting vast world aka universe

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Going to give the future a chance, since EZ is one of the mangas I'm currently hyped the most :hee (also if I weren't reading it the campaign would definetly give me interest).
If EZ disappoints me in the future I'll personally blame you Jammin :lambirb

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Going to give the future a chance, since EZ is one of the mangas I'm currently hyped the most :hee (also if I weren't reading it the campaign would definetly give me interest).
If EZ disappoints me in the future I'll personally blame you Jammin :lambirb
I'd be happy to take full responsibility if you ever think I steered you wrong but I don't think you will.:^_^

King Moe

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Spontaneously, I wanna go for Edens Zero. The first couple of chapters gave me a better feeling than I've had from FT for ages. On the other hand, Fairy Tail did grab me at the start, and it wasn't until quite some time through the story which I really started to realize I actually disliked it.

That said, I didn't actually like Edens Zero either. It may not be as bad as FT (yet?), but I honestly don't think I'll keep reading it for much longer.

Still, I'll go with my first gut feeling and vote kill Fairy Tai-... er, I mean, vote Edens Zero. Jammin deserves that much at least for his campaign. :nod
Didn't you say that last time, but FT still won. Like I said, if you guys focus on the bad stuff, then you will never understand why a series is still majorly loved. Try to have a open mind ;).

For who I vote for.....Hmnmmthis is tough....Though both are doing good on their respective series so far (Fairy Tail: 100 Year Quest and Eden's Zero)......Might need time to think.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
For who I vote for.....Hmnmmthis is tough....Though both are doing good on their respective series so far (Fairy Tail: 100 Year Quest and Eden's Zero)......Might need time to think.
One has Pino and one does not. I rest my case.:nod

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Loving the optimism but I just can’t vote a manga with like 10 chapters over an opus that has kept me satisfied to a generally decent degree for quite a lot of years :lambirb

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
It really says something about the Alvarez arc that it was so and that mashima following series is already seen as better with only 15 chapters.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
So it's come to this my brothers and sisters. The future versus the past. Evolution versus stagnation.

Some would call this showdown a tragedy. Mashima's children fighting one another. But I disagree. It is simply the passing of the torch from one generation to the next. Fairy Tail is a great series but it was flawed. It did well in spite of it's imperfections but was never able to change them. And we should be grateful for those flaws because the lessons they taught have given rise to a brighter tomorrow.

Let me start by saying this simply and concisely. Eden Zero is better than Fairy Tail. To understand why that is true you have to understand two things about Fairy Tail and one thing about Eden Zero

The first are Fairy Tails' strengths. It was a fun, consistent, entertaining, and uplifting shounen battle manga. It was there to make it's readers smile. And that's what it did. Week after week. Month after month. Year after year. It would do anything it could to make that result happen. It embraced the shounen power fantasy and humor and ecchi moments. All without a hint of shame or concern.

The second are Fairy Tails' limitations. As fun and entertaining as it was, it was always shallow. Plots were simple. Emotions were simple. The many characters had almost no emotional range or complexity and a main character who represented a power fantasy from the very first moment you meet him and changed little if at all throughout his story. The set up was restrictive in having it centered around a magic guild too. It was never built to tell deep or varied stories. It was manga junk food for the most part. It would be fun to consume but it would never fully satisfy. And over time as fans wanted more, sadly, it could never offer that to them.

This brings us to Eden Zero and what needs to be understood about it. It is a series that was clearly built with complete awareness of the strengths and limitations of it's predecessor and some lessons learned from other shounen titles as well. It embraces the fun loving attitude of Fairy Tail. It is set in a world of limitless possibilities like One Piece. It uses tragedy as a foundation to build characters. It allows things to change and progress story to story giving a sense of progression and that the story is moving in a real way. It is a story about adventure. Across space. Across time. Where will they go? Who will they meet? What will they find? I'm excited to find out and, if you read Eden Zero, you will be too.

Vote for evolution, Vote for depth. Vote for a world without limits.

Why is EM pino wearing a bikini?

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
It really says something about the Alvarez arc that it was so and that mashima following series is already seen as better with only 15 chapters.

Why is EM pino wearing a bikini?
Because Mashima

Vici

Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Honestly, it's like comparing a book that was passable at the start but completely lost its way later on and becomes a pure comedy at the end.

Against a book that only has a prologue and it's passable.

Quite frankly EZ already have some minor things inside of it that people hated about and others will come up with the time passing ( Judging how the setup is more complicated I can see Hiro having even easier time screwing it up )

I know that I should give Hiro benefit of the doubt and that EZ will be decent ( at least ) whole the time but I won't..

Fairy Tail was passable for few Arcs ( the cracks showed at the end of ToH arc when we saw the first instant of unbreakable spirit in Erza vs Ikaruga ) and even later we got Tartaros Arc ( that was also passable with Erza again being really a sour spot here )

My vote is going for FT I hope that Hiro will prove me wrong and after few arcs, EZ won't go downhill but I'm not willing to give him that benefit of the doubt here.

- We proudly encourage you to share the best pics of your Manga!
:grumble

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.