Shounen - Fairy Tail | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Fairy Tail

Mooncrow

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Title: Fairy Tail
Genres: Shonen, Fantasy, Adventure
Author/Artist: Mashima Hiro (best known for Rave Master)
Publication: Shonen Magazine
Start Date: August 23, 2006
End Date: On-going
Number of chapters at review: 68
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 68

General Overview: Lucy is a young mage who is looking for a guild to begin her magic career. By chance, she meets a member of the famous and outrageous guild Fairy Tail, who invites her to join. One plt twist follows another as we are swept along is this madcap adventure in a magical land.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 7
For those who are familiar with the likes of One Piece, Bleach, and Rave Master, the art should feel very home-like. The execution is well done though, and the detail level is medium; quite respectable for a weekly series, if nothing spectacular. Character designs are distinct and memorable.

Plot: 9
In a lot of ways, Mashima's writing reminds me of Eiichiro Oda's work. A careful world builder, he slowly reveals the larger plot as the main storyline zips along. The twists are fairly unpredictable, and the shifts between major arcs are very smooth.

Characters: 9
Mashima has done an excellent job of building a cast of memorable characters. He is especially good at writing strong women characters; Erza, in particular, may be my favorite female character of all time^^ Development is good so far, although it is early in the series to say for sure.

Themes: 8
Fairy Tail is a story of following your passions, free from rules and restrictions. As you can imagine, this leads to some interesting consequences, that are explored in detail. Several secondary themes are present as well; "what makes a 'true' family", "appearance vs. reality", "freedom vs. regulation" etc.

Originality: 8
While the character designs are not the most original in the world, overall, the rest of the manga feels fresh and new.

Overall: 9
I admit, this score is mostly based on the potential I think this series has. Mashima's previous work, Rave Master, started of as a very generic and boring fantasy adventure, but as his writing matured, he turned into an excellent story. I cannot wait to see what he can do with a world not limited by that poor beginning. If you enjoy shonen at all, I advise checking this series out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Feel like discussing Fairy Tail further? Go here:
Fairy Tail Discussion Board

Last edited by a moderator:

Helltroll

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
another nice review and (as usual) you're right.
when i read fairy tail the first time i thought "one piece?" and i hope this will turn out to something that is at least on that level (if something can reach one piece).

gdupninja

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I agree with this review all the way. Your pretty good at this stuff mooncrow.
Fairy Tail is alot better than Rave Master.

Snaker

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Just what?? 9/10, same as the ES21? I'm not being fanboyish and all, but I can't agree with the ratings...

As it is now, it just don't worth more than 7/10, IMO. I won't discuss plot, because this manga has only 68 chapters, but the originality... We have already seen it all - typical shonen fights, character types, magic, etc. Erza was good, but even she was killed by this "we are nakamas" thing.

But that is just my opinion, of course. :amuse

Mooncrow

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
As you say, it's only been 68 chapters, and I did say I was basing my rating mostly on potential. I personally say FT is more interesting than ES was at 68 tbh.

kaizoku-ou

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
i have to agree with mooncrow, the story is just beginning, the characters need more development; it's like one piece, we are just seeing their background story before they begin their adventure or at least that's what i hope
PS: i think the stellar magic keys are a great idea which adds to the originality

tobz

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
MAN Fairy tail IS so great i would go so far to say it will have a popularity rate of naruto, one piece and bleach. Its just started so it has sooooo much potential. it took me 1 day to get through the 79 chapters it was so hooking you just cant let go it never got boring. i love love this manga.

highly highly recommend it to thos who want to have a laugh and like some good old ass kicking

weixiaobao

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
i just got caught up in this manga..
well if i was to rate this purely base on the level of enjoyment ^^ then this deserved a 10

as for if it worth less than 7 because of its originality, i said nah i deserve at least an 8 (total.. )

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just starting reading this. Overall, it's somewhat enjoyable. I don't like how evil characters are introduced as overwhelming and strong but turn the page and they get their ass handed to them. But then again, when you take into consideration the audience that this piece of work is targeting, it's forgivable.

So far, I've read up to the most current one. From what I've noticed, the author seems to be working his story around each main character. That's very interesting though there are so many members of FT

Stoc15

Reaction score
Country
United States
Title: Fairy Tail.
Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy.
Author: Hiro Mashima.
Artist: Hiro Mashima.
Publication: Kodansha/Del Rey Manga.
Start Date: 2006.
End Date: Unknown.
Number of chapters at review: 123.
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 122.

General Overview: Lucy Heartphilla was a free-agent sorceress who wanted to join the guild known as Fairy Tail. When she is accidently drawn to a person who claims to be a member of Fairy Tail, she gets saved by a real mage in the guild, Natsu. Once she is rescued, she joins Fairy Tail and begins her dream life.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 9.
It may be a weekly series, and Mashima may have a second series going on as well, but Mashima shows his true talent. The panels are wonderful, and the characters have awesome expressions. Sometimes it can be repetitive, but he does make it unique.

Plot: 8.
It may seem a bit generic, and it does seem like the average shonen manga. Some of the arcs are a bit overdone, and most of the beginning arcs are incredibly short. Mages are a bit of a twist for a shonen manga, because most authors don't focus much on mages. It may be a teensy bit generic, but it is good.

Characters: 9.5.
Mashima has a talent for making very interesting characters, and we all know that from Rave. Almost all of the characters are original, but not everything is right. Natsu looks like Luffy from One Piece, and he has a similar attitude. Besides that, all of the characters are awesome.

Theme: 8.5.
There are many recurring themes in shonen manga that appear in Fairy Tail. "Follow your dreams", "Believe in yourself", "Friendship is key", and things of the like. They may be typical, but they make the manga good.

Originality: 9.
As stated in the plot section, it may be a bit generic. Mages and magic do come to the aid of Fairy Tail, and it is one of the more shining parts of Fairy Tail. It is very original, with some tiny flaws.

Overall: 9.5.
Fairy Tail is one of the best shonen mangas that this age has to offer. Mashima has been noted as creating some of the best mangas in this age, and he proves it with Fairy Tail. I hope that anyone that reads this review knows from my opinion that it is worth reading.

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a good read.

His art is very unique. He sure has a knack for drawing skinny beautiful woman that are graciously endowed. I believe that is my primary reason for reading this manga.

The individual story elements and the fight match ups could be reworked but considering the target age, it's suitable. Good guys has to dispense justice on any bad guys encountered am I right?

Kravmaga

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a great read. The art is incredibly refreshing for those who're educated in shounen litterature and are willing to accept a series that won't take itself too seriously.

To be more precise, the action is at the core of FT's strength; action scenes are fluid and well choreographed and never hiccup with frustrating mid-air explanations or crawl to a stop with flashbacks. The panels are built with amazing care and a great deal of action is packed into pages with a much more moderate use of full page artwork which some other series often abuse; yet despite the higher density of information, these action scenes never seem forced or confusing and the line of action seems to flow down with incredible ease.
When a FT fight starts, it's always fast paced, satisfying and seldom disappoints.

As you've mentioned, the character designs and relationships aren't as strong or lovable as some other more mature and prominent series out there but in midst of the latest arc, they are getting there at a noticeable pace. In fact, IMHO a couple characters have had their moments of grace which have no equal in any other series I've ever read before. And while FT isn't boasting genre-changing originality, it's improving upon many of the more classical aspects of the tried and proven shounen facets which have until now left me wanting for more.

Thanks for the review! =)

RaveDragon

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Great reviews xD

Fairy Tail is unique in a sense that it is solely to keep people in high spirits it is a fun manga and the action scenes are funny and fun. Its not dark at all but it has loads of mysteries thats keeps you on the line and just when you think its declining you're caught up in it again cuz the fun starts over.

The art is not to heavy on the eyes its nothing exceptional but its likable and when the mangaka decides to draw something spectacular it seems to be even cooler. I especially like his kids drawing he can draw very cute children the flashbacks melt your heart with cuteness imo ><(and this is as cheesy as i can get)

The relationships are portrayed as quite strong already so you might not feel it as much as other series where we see them grow closer. IMO Lucy and Natsu's relationship is the best in the series as Lucy being the main and newbiw we see her first interactions so her growth is quite fun to read. Its how Mashima portrays her a comical character with strong beliefs and potential both as a mage and plotwise that might want to keep you from saying shes not just for fanservice.

The plot is one of the most interesting there is a main plot with many characters linked through different stuff unconscious to the characters themselves
Layla and the dragons and the year 777 linking Lucy, Natsu and the other dragon slayers is an example
. It seems recently after exploring the various characters Mashima is going to focus on the main plot which is always hinted at with some information every arc building it slowly until the time when he starts to reveal certain things slowly.

Its pretty much a read that will make you feel better when sad and one of my favorites!

tomte

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read the manga one years ago. It recalled me the memory of one piece manga. I thought it was some thing like one piece at first time.Then I found myself was totally wrong. And now I read Fairy Tail every week. And tonight Fairy Tail 275 will be updated. Hope all of you will enjoy it as usual.