Game - Fan League Discussion Thread | Page 56 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Game Fan League Discussion Thread

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
1. If Camus were to switch, so could Byoudouin and Duke.
I don't think that's necessarily how it works. Otherwise you could have people switching back and forth ad infinitum.

2. Yeah, that's why I said A->B->A, which is already giving them a leeway I honestly wouldn't (as every other team will play with their A team no matter what, and I doubt all the HSers and specially MSers in all the other countries have better Stamina than the likes of Tanegashima).
Yeah I understood that. I'm saying that some guys from team A might not have recovered even after team B's match. I realize that's a sketchy explanation though.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
There's something else that bothers me a bit. Looking at 5 Stamina characters, for obvious reasons they can't play all seven points of a seven point match at full strength normally (i.e. using a Special on each point). We compensate for that by cutting the costs for a lot of their Specials in half, but is that the best way to go about it? After all, it inflates the difference between them and the characters with less stamina even more.

This is only partially connected to the previous discussion, you might say...
  • They should be at 100% the whole time, but the difference between them and, say, 3 STA characters shouldn't be bigger than, well, two points; or
  • It'd actually be better if they weren't at 100% the whole time, that should be reserved for characters with 7 Stamina; or
  • The way we're doing it right now is justified.
Note that I'm not questioning abilities that cost more than 1 Stamina, those are very justified in my mind. But about 0.5 cost moves I've become less sure.

Seakay

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kaoz said:
My dilemma is basically that I like the way we do things at the moment, but I also think that shortening the matches and then letting Stamina carry over is more in line with the direction Konomi's going in.
Do we have to go in the exact direction Konomi is going though with the fan league?

As Hardy said, the game works right now and the characters are designed around the seven point system.

I'd like to see how the level system works with the current rules before redesigning the whole structure.

I'm not against changes either but is stamina trying to do too much here?

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Do we have to go in the exact direction Konomi is going though with the fan league?
I mean, obviously we're not forced to. But building on the manga's direction and refining it over time is how we got to where we are now and it hasn't served us badly so far.

I'm not against changes either but is stamina trying to do too much here?
Yes and no I think. Mechanically it might seem predominant, but I think that might also be because Stamina mechanics are listed as extra rules, so they stand out more? But overall stamina for us basically works like a magic meter in an RPG or something along those lines. If you need Specials to keep up: incredibly important - if you mostly rely on base stats and Autos: pretty much irrelevant as it stands.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Quick question because I don't remember: did you guys understand the max (list_of_values) / min (list_of_values) expressions or do I need to verbalize those?

Seakay

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I understood them pretty well with the (list_of_values) format.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It's been a while. First of all, apologies for the long inactivity. I have some good news, some bad news, and some more good news. The good news is that there will definitely be a season 5. The bad news is, it'll still take a while until it's ready. The other good news is that I've been working on a specific set of abilities the past few months which are now finished.

Click.

One thing that bothered me was that in the case of some characters, when they weren't activating a Special, it wasn't really obvious what they were trying to do during the match. Of course for some it was, like Shiraishi or the data crew who had Autos that described their overall approach to the game. But I wanted something along those lines for every single character, so I decided to create a new class of abilities called [Style].

These abilities are basically in-between Autos and Specials in the sense that they're always active, but cannot be used anymore once Stamina hits 0. In my eyes this also adds another layer of strategy because you actually benefit from having stamina at all, meaning it becomes less attractive to just spam moves.

As you can probably tell, quite a bit of work went into creating the Styles, but since there are so many, it's very possible that some could be improved upon. As such, feel free to review the document and provide input on things that seem out of place to you.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
First of all, Niou and Kabaji can copy most of these, correct?

What's the logic behind Free Style being negated every 2nd point?

Aoi's comebacks affect his teammate in doubles too?

Because he could play like shit but his partner could ACE Motion vision on Kiko? I assumed he had good reflexes and huge empathy (however the latter mixes with tennis is up to you).

I thought Volk's Iron Wall was stronger than the Aussies'.

Up to speculation but I assume Ludovic's Aura would be an incomplete version compared to Camus' (only half a heart, contrary to Camus that has found his love).

With Samurai, each stat increases only once permanently or does it increase every point? (For example, in the 7th point, Mental would be at +3, whereas Speed would be at +2,5 , etc).

Super Attack Style could be troublesome if you want your player to be a bit passive. Is there a way for you to choose not to activate it? While this complete recklessness does fit Hewitt, I don't think it's the same case with Atobe and Federer.

Shouldnt Hitouji's imitations be able to lower his opponent's support if their support level isn't high enough?

Why does Wakashi win a match by winning 3 points '-' ? Same with Akaya (and Matsu) I guess, weren't they all "victims" of comebacks?

Ibu being able to perform Magic Show is cute and all but wouldn't SPOT be more appropiate to his character?

IQ tennis seems quite worse than Data Tennis... is this intentional?

(going full in with Medanore having Italian roots?)

Deep Sleep could be stronger and yeah, style adaptation could use a rework but I wouldn't delete it.

Extremely minor, but even though I understand what you mean with the title "Hook shot" (...straight to Seakay's team) the name makes me immediatly think of the Hookshot in Zelda that does something completely different '-'

Kikumaru is so useless compared to Oishi and it's so sadly accurate to the role both had in NPoT...

I think giving Sakuno Power Battle for Power is kind of... cruel lol.

AN IS THE MUTSUS IN 1 YEAH

Tohno's executions might proc too fast?

I understand why Leon has One Touch, but you gave up on making him darkness-ish or you are including that as autos?

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
First of all, Niou and Kabaji can copy most of these, correct?
Yes. There are probably some they shouldn't be able to that I haven't denoted as "cannot be copied" yet though.

What's the logic behind Free Style being negated every 2nd point?
Free Style itself isn't negated, but rather the Serves and Specials you activate are every other time you use them. The idea behind it is that you go for a lot of difficult shots which may lead to hitting winners from unexpected positions (if you want to boil it down, basically Akutsu's basic skill of being able to attack on any shot), but if you don't have Akutsu's or Ryoga's flexible movements, you'll make errors along the way too.

The Serves/Specials being negated on the 2nd, 4th and 6th try isn't set in stone in my mind - I was hesitating a lot on whether to go with those or something like 3rd and 5th try.

Aoi's comebacks affect his teammate in doubles too?

Because he could play like shit but his partner could ACE
It doesn't affect his partner, no. Maybe it'd be better to reword it based on the number of points the opponent has won.

Motion vision on Kiko? I assumed he had good reflexes and huge empathy (however the latter mixes with tennis is up to you).
Yeah, I didn't know what to do with him, and the fact that his special skill is shooting games ultimately made me decide on giving him something vision related.

I thought Volk's Iron Wall was stronger than the Aussies'.
I was considering turning his Iron Wall into a Steel Wall, but then I thought it's already quite strong as it is considering his stats (like, I don't think he can be ACE'd either way) and giving it a different name would complicate the wording of the doubles variation a bit, so ultimately I figured it'd be better to just leave it as is.

Up to speculation but I assume Ludovic's Aura would be an incomplete version compared to Camus' (only half a heart, contrary to Camus that has found his love).
Honestly I don't think he has it yet at all, I just couldn't come up with anything better for him. But I reckon he'll play his match before the league is ready, so just going to change it then and probably move the aura to his level up pool.

With Samurai, each stat increases only once permanently or does it increase every point? (For example, in the 7th point, Mental would be at +3, whereas Speed would be at +2,5 , etc).
The increases stack, yes. I used the match against Sanada as basis and found that the explanation from back then still held up quite well.

Super Attack Style could be troublesome if you want your player to be a bit passive. Is there a way for you to choose not to activate it? While this complete recklessness does fit Hewitt, I don't think it's the same case with Atobe and Federer.
The very first iteration of the Super Attack Style was actually for Atobe. It's what he did against Ryoma and in the tiebreak vs Irie. The name itself comes from the Ryoma match as well. The activation condition for Atobe's two styles are based on his play style entry in Pair Puri 1.

Regarding Albert, it just fits my idea of him I guess. In my mind he attacks from the first shot of the rally which lines up with his nickname quite well I think. I'm open for alternative suggestions though.

Shouldnt Hitouji's imitations be able to lower his opponent's support if their support level isn't high enough?
I want to include that as an Auto.

Why does Wakashi win a match by winning 3 points '-' ? Same with Akaya (and Matsu) I guess, weren't they all "victims" of comebacks?
Well, it's not just three points total, they have to win three in a row for it to work. Like I noted in Akaya's comments column, the idea is that they try to finish their matches in a low amount of real time and the best way to express that I could think of was to give them a special win condition if they managed to just dominate the opponent.

Ibu being able to perform Magic Show is cute and all but wouldn't SPOT be more appropiate to his character?
That's what I had at first, but after reading his older profiles I found it too limiting. According to them he adjusts his game plan depending on the opponent, so I wanted something more flexible. I actually had him with the same Style as Yamato at some point, but considered that to be too strong in the end.

IQ tennis seems quite worse than Data Tennis... is this intentional?
Not really. I wasn't sure whether to give Konjiki his own separate ability or start him off with the basic Data Tennis as well.

(going full in with Medanore having Italian roots?)
Yeah. And since Amadeus has Nadal's forehand, I thought it'd be fitting to give Medanore the Federer forehand.

Deep Sleep could be stronger and yeah, style adaptation could use a rework but I wouldn't delete it.
I mainly think he should only be able to use one or the other if we keep both. I don't have much of an issue with their individual effects.

Extremely minor, but even though I understand what you mean with the title "Hook shot" (...straight to Seakay's team) the name makes me immediatly think of the Hookshot in Zelda that does something completely different '-'
I borrowed the golf definition of the term, but my image of it is actually closer to the LoZ one than you might think. Basically the idea is that the way it curves forces the opponent to approach the net when trying to return it, so closing the distance between both players is a part of it.

Tohno's executions might proc too fast?
What do you mean exactly?

I understand why Leon has One Touch, but you gave up on making him darkness-ish or you are including that as autos?
It's going to be an Auto, yeah.

Seakay

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know it's been a while but any plans and/or updates for the Fan League?

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I know it's been a while but any plans and/or updates for the Fan League?
I'm working on a new season, but it's slow due to time constraints. I've also ended up changing technologies twice to save time in the long run, but it means I have to convert what I had already done before.

If you want to help out some, feel free to PM me.