Info - FAQ - Edited Manga Process | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info FAQ - Edited Manga Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPepperPro

MH Senpai
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here you will find frequently asked questions pertaining to the various subjects of the editing craft.

QUESTION LIST:

SCANNING
1. What is the primary focus of scanning?
2. What is required to scan manga?
3. What kind of scanner should I use?
4. Where can I buy manga to scan?
5. What is the general process of scanning?

CLEANING
6. What is the primary focus of cleaning?
7. What is required to clean manga?
8. What is the general process of cleaning?

TYPESETTING
9. What is the primary focus of typesetting?
10. What is required to typeset manga?
11. What is the general process of typesetting?

Edited Manga GROUPS
12. How do I join a Edited Manga group?
13. How do I release a scanlated manga?
14. How do I make people aware of my manga release?

SCANNING
Q1: What is the primary focus of scanning?
A1: To get the manga from paper form into digital form, so that it can be manipulated by a computer.

Q2: What is required to scan manga?
A2: A scanner and the manga are the bare minimum. Other items that are optional: clothes iron or other heating device, sharp cutting tool, paper towel or other very clean surface, free time, as well as some method of transferring digital files such as the Internet or a Compact Disc.

Q3: What kind of scanner should I use?
A3: It should be able to scan at 200+ DPI and be large enough to scan manga pages. Nearly every common scanner or printer/fax/scanner combo are capable of this. Though, you will likely want to get a flatbed scanner for best quality and ease of scanning. A flatbed scanner in the range of $100 to $200 USD is good. The Canon CanoScan from versions 4400F to 9000F are recommended.

Q4: Where can I buy manga to scan?
A4: This thread has a detailed list of resources for buying manga online.

Q5: What is the general process of scanning?
A5: The first step is to take apart the manga such that it can be scanned page by page. This can be done with a heating object applied to the side to loosen the glue. Some manga do not use glue, instead using staples or other fastening devices. As the pages are taken out, set them on a clean surface so that they don't collect any dirt, this is especially important for the cover, which is usually made out of a plastic material that dirt clings to easily. After all the pages are out, they can be set on the scanner and scanned individually. Make sure to test with one page first to get the settings right, then scan the rest. The last thing to do is send the files to a group that wants to work on it, or make it known somehow that raw scans are available for this manga.
CLEANING
Q6: What is the primary focus of cleaning?
A6: To take the raw scanned image of a manga, and turn it into something that looks more presentable on a monitor. There are several general goals involved in achieving this. 1) The areas that are intended to be black should be #000000. 2) The areas that are intended to be white should be #FFFFFF. 3) The Japanese text should be removed from areas that are intended to be translated. 4) There should be no defects, such as those caused by dirt or page warping or bad print quality. 5) The frame borders should be generally straight with the page sides. 6) The page should have no excess space on the sides leftover from the scanner bed.

Q7: What is required to clean manga?
A7: An image editing program such as Photoshop, GIMP, Paintshop Pro, paint.net, etc. Photoshop offers the widest variety of options, though others can do everything necessary for manga cleaning. It also is what most Manga Editors use, which makes it easier when reading tutorials or receiving advice and critiques.

Q8: What is the general process of cleaning?
A8: There are many ways of going about achieving the same end result. Generally the things that are done first are rotating/cropping, followed by leveling. Then cleaning of text and dirt. The final cleaned page should also be saved and sent to the typesetter if necessary.
TYPESETTING
Q9: What is the primary focus of typesetting?
A9: To input the target language translation onto the page in a readable fashion. There are several general goals involved in achieving this. 1) All the text should be placed in the correct spots. 2) The font chosen for a target area should be aesthetically complimentary to its environment. 3) The shape of the text should look as aesthetically pleasing as possible in its environment. 4) Various text properties such as rotation, borders, color, size, etc. should be stylized to match the Japanese text.

Q10: What is required to typeset manga?
A10: An image editing program such as Photoshop, GIMP, Paintshop Pro, paint.net, etc. Photoshop offers the widest variety of options, though others can do everything necessary for manga typesetting. It also is what most Manga Editors use, which makes it easier when reading tutorials or receiving advice and critiques.

Q11: What is the general process of typesetting?
A11: The first step is to copy paste the text into the image editing program. Then split the words to the proper shape and stylize the text as needed. Much attention to detail is needed for this part, as there are usually many variables to check on.
Edited Manga GROUPS
Q12: How do I join a Edited Manga group?
A12: Visit the Staff Recruitment Forum and browse around to find a group and/or project that interests you.

Q13: How do I release a scanlated manga?
A13: There are many options. The most accessible download option would be a direct download from a FTP server, though this can have bandwidth issues. There are direct download sites such as mediafire, megaupload, 2shared, etc., though these sometimes suffer from files being taken down. Torrents and IRC downloads can be used, but these methods are a bit more technical (to set up as well as for the downloader). There are online reader websites such as MangaFox, One Manga, Homeunix Manga, etc. which are the most easily accessible, but often compress the manga pages causing jpeg artifacts and loss of quality.

Q14: How do I make people aware of my manga release?
A14: The first thing to do, if applicable, is to make a post or note about the release on your group's webpage. Then there are certain tracker sites which a lot of people check for manga updates, the main one being Baka-Updates Manga. A popular website that tracks torrents is Tokyo Toshokan. You can also spread knowledge about the series in the Shouts Workshop Forum, and post updates on releases in a discussion thread in the Manga / Anime Sections.

Q15:
A15:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.