Discussion - Favourite old-gen console games? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Favourite old-gen console games?

Hummingbird

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Now when I say old I'm thinking nothing after Playstation One (I still consider PS2 fairly new... or maybe I'm just old I dunno haha) your choices guys!

Super Nintendo: Bubsy and Super Metroid hands down. I played SM with my mum and I remember her finishing it at 1am and coming into my room to wake me up so she could show me. But she kept dying when the lava was rising :tem Bubsy was just too cute for words (Bubsy 3D on PSOne on the other hand was an abomination, sorry guys) Disney movie games were always awesome on the SNES too...

Gameboy Color: Pokemon Red, Conker's Bad Fur Day. Legend of Zelda Ages and Seasons

PSOne: Final Fantasy VIII, Wild Arms, Tombi, Harvest Moon, Grandia, Medievil <3

Last edited by a moderator:

ilinx

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Super Nintendo: Super Metroid (I never played Bubsy but I agree on this one). I also liked Donkey Kong Country and Street Fighter II (aww, the music and sound effects back in the day XD)

Playstation: MediEvil, Tomb Raider II, Resident Evil

Not console, but I think it deserves an honorable mention as old school game: The Curse of Monkey Island (the Monkey Island series in general, but this one was the first I played, so I'm a little biased I guess)

Zeltrax

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Chrono trigger for me.
The experience was great although by the time I was playing it, people already stopped talking about it :sweat
I'm only 16 so I didn't get to play much of old gen except for the ps1 and it was only by coincidence that my parents received
a super nintendo from a friend and chrono trigger with it. Ah those were the days.
For PSONE, it has to be the Crash Bandicoot series, Chocobu dunegon, FF7, Spider 1 and 2 !

and
This game is so simple and great. I love this the most back then.
I still remember the theme for fishing village for tombi 2 :lmao
oh and the last boss stage was scary :iik

HegemonKhan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am the old school gaming generation, hehe. the gaming industry has been faithfully following my generation hehe. What are all the games now? adult/mature games, because me and my generation are adults now, hehe. As I and my generation has aged, so have the games of the gaming industry to match me and my generation's new age as we gotten older and older.

my console history: Atari -> NES + old Apple Comps > SNES + old MACs -> PS1 + PCs

I used to play or have played or still play:

Diablo 1 (D1)
Diablo 1: Middle Earth (ME) - this is a fan-made Mod
Diablo 1: The Awakening - this is a fan-made Mod
Diablo 2 (D2)
Star Craft (SC)
Star Craft (SC): Brood War (BW)
Age of Empires (AoE)
Age of Empires 2 (AoE2): The Age of Kings (tAoK)
Civ 4
Civ 4: Beyond the Sword (BtS)
Civ 4: Beyond the Sword (BtS): Fall From Heaven (FFH) Mod (BEST EVER! Kael n team RULES, hehe)
Civ 4: Beyond the Sword (BtS): (other Mods too)
Morrowind (MW)
Morrowind (MW): Mournhold (MH)
Morrowind (MW): Bloodmoon (BM)
Morrowind (MW): Mournhold (MH) + Bloodmoon (BM): various mods
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (HoMM3): Restoration of Erathia (RoE)
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (HoMM3): Armageddon's Blade (AB)
Alpha Centauri (ACe)
Alpha Centauri (ACe): Alien Crossfire (ACr)
Pharoah
The Sims
Sim City 3000
Wizards and Warriors (W&W)
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Civ 2
Civ 3
Rollercoaster Tycoon (RCT)
Rollercoaster Tycoon (RCT): Corkscrew Follies (CF)
Rollercoaster Tycoon (RCT): Loopy Landscapes (LL)
Lords of the Realm 2
Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption
King's Quest: Mask of Eternity
Dungeon Keeper 2
Lords of Magic
Duke Nukem
Outpost 2
Etc...

Secret of Mana (SoM)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (SD3)
Final Fantasy 6 (FF6)
Final Fantasy 5 (FF5)
Final Fantasy 4 (FF4)
Chrono Trigger (CT)
Legend of Zelda (LoZ): A Link to the Past (ALttP)
Street Fighter 2 (SF2)
Super Metroid
7th Saga
Arcana
Battle Cars
Breath of Fire 1 (BoF1)
Breath of Fire 2 (BoF2)
Bust A Move
2020 Super Baseball
Cool World
Dragon View
Drahken
Earthbound
E.V.O.: Search for Eden
Eye of the Beholder
Final Fight 1
Final Fight 2
F-Zero
Gemfire
Hal's Hole in One Golf
Illusion of Gaia (IoG)
Joe and Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics
Joe and Mac 1
Jurassic Park (JP)
Killer Instinct (KI)
The King of Dragons
King of Monsters
Knights of the Round
Lemmings 1
Lemmings 2
Lester the Unlikely
Lufia 1: The Fortress of Doom (FoD)
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals (RotS)
Mega Man Soccer
Mega Man X (MMX)
Mega Man X2 (MMX2)
Mega Man X3 (MMX3)
Might and Magic 2
Might and Magic 3: Isles of Terror
Mortal Kombat 1 (MK1)
Mortal Kombat 2 (MK2)
Mortal Kombat 3 (MK3)
Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate (MK3U)
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Ogrebattle: March of the Black Queen
Paladin's Quest
Primal Rage
Rampart
Road Runner's Death Valley Rally
Robo Trek
Rock N Roll Racing
Samurai Shodown
Secret of Evermore (SoE)
Sim City 2000
Sim City
Soul Blazer
Star Fox
Stunt Race FX
Super Adventure Island 2
Super Bomberman 2
Super Bomberman 1
Super Buster Bros
Super Double Dragon
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Punchout
Super Smash TV
Tales of Phantasia (ToP)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 (TMNT4): Turtles in Time (TiT)
Terranigma
The Lost Vikings
The Lost Vikings 2
Uniracers
Etc...

Willow
Final Fantasy 1
Final Fantasy 2
Dragon Warrior 1
Dragon Warrior 2
Maniac Mansion
Mike Tyson's Punchout
Air Fortress
Anticipation
Bionic Commando
Blaster Master
Bubble Bobble 1
Bubble Bobble 2
Legend of Zelda (LoZ)
Legend of Zelda 2 (LoZ2): Adventures of Link (AoL)
Excitebike
Track and Field 2
Paper Boy
Lode Runner
Jaws
Mega Man 1 (MM1)
Mega Man 2 (MM2)
Mega Man 3 (MM3)
Mega Man 4 (MM4)
Mega Man 5 (MM5)
Mega Man 6 (MM6)
Castlevania 1
Castlevania 2
Castlevania 3
Dynowarz
Fester's Quest (FQ)
Little Nemo (LN)
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden (NG)
Super Dodge Ball (SDB)
Rampage
Shadowgate
Super Mario Bros 1 (SMB1)
Super Mario Bros 2 (SMB2)
Super Mario Bros 3 (SMB3)
Duck Hunt
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 (TMNT1)
Tennis
Tetris
Techmo Bowl
Legend of Zelda (LoZ): Outlands (fan-made)
Etc...

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Tetris
Dr. Mario
Metroid 2: Return of Samus
Etc...

Masters of Orion (MoO)
Myst
7th Guest
War Craft 1 (WC1)
War Craft 2 (WC2)
Civ 1
Outpost
Colonization
The Dig
Might and Magic 4: Xeen
Might and Magic 5: Darkside of Xeen
Etc...

Final Fantasy 7 (FF7)
Final Fantasy 8 (FF8)
Tekken 3
Metal Gear Solid (MGS)
VS. (this is its actual name, a fighting game somewhat similar to Tekken, but it's quite cool, with some awesome near-death/death comboes especially with sexy Mia, hehe)
Tactics Ogre (TO)
Ghost in the Shell (GitS)
Breath of Fire 3 (BoF3)
Etc...

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (I can use Ken and Elena alright, lol)
Killer Instinct (KI)
Mortal Kombat 1 (MK1)
Mortal Kombat 2 (MK2)
Mortal Kombat 3 (MK3)
Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate (MK3U)
Tekken 3
Primal Rage
Altered Beast (really old school, lol)
Splatterhouse (really old school, lol)
Etc...

Last edited:

UchihaHunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, no love for Fire Emblem?!

My favorites from the SNES are Fire Emblem 4 - Seisen no Keifu and Fire Emblem 5 - Thracia 776

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I can't choose among SNES, NES, Playstation, and Sega Genesis. They were my favorite and loved playing on those consoles: Street Fighter, McDonald's, Time Crisis, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc. My cousins and I had epic time playing the games.

I regret selling NES and Genesis. T_T

Host Samurai

Reaction score
Country
Germany
NES: Megaman 2-4, Super Mario.
SNES: Mortal Kombat, Donkey Kong
N64: Mario Party, Smash Brothers, Zelda: Ocarina of Time
PSOne: Final Fantasy VIII - IX, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 1-3

These are the games that I enjoyed playing back in the days but unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on Final Fantasy VII among critics and fans that's the best one in the entire series. I hope that Square Enix will do a remake for the PS3 or for the next generation. So that I can also play the game like many others before me. Anyway, these are the game that came in my mind first.

Last edited:

tgirl

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Old school... Lots of memories.

(@ Hegemon: Woooooah... O__O)

SNES was my core generation when I was little. Before that, the NES was sort of out of my league. I mean, I was too young to fully understand the NES. I could play Duck Hunt and that was the limit. So, when I transferred to another elementary school, the SNES was my main instrument to play. Certain games like Super Mario World, Mario Paint, Zelda: ALttP, Krusty's Fun House, Super Mario All Stars, Lagoon, and etc. caught my liking. I also played a lot of old school redemption arcade games when I went to the movie theater, dentist, or an entertainment center. I recently saw Dragon's Lair in Best Buy, for the DS, and I went all giddy. =.= I'm still contemplating whether to get such an innovated piece of Don Bluth art that I use to play on the arcade game system.

Note: Just because I was too young to understand the NES doesn't mean I was exactly out of NES's life. I use to try to find those Captain N and Super Mario comics because those were fun to read. (Too young to understand that a Captain N cartoon actually existed, but thank you internet for letting me know...)

But that didn't stop there. I still have my original Game Boy and Game Boy Colors sitting in dust. I use to have a Sega Genesis and Game Gear. I owned two N64s, but I suppose, N64 is not considered "old school" yet. (Now, the only N64 I have left is dead. >__< I think my SNES is still alive though.)

Favorite game for original Game Boy: tie between Kirby's Dream Land and Poke'mon Red.
Game Boy Color: Donkey Kong remake
Game Gear: Lion King
Sega Genesis: The main Sonic games. I love them so much that I bought them for the PS2 since I no longer have a Genesis. :(
Super Nintendo: Too many to say. Donkey Kong Country topped the list as one of the several games I use to play often.
Redemption arcade (so I don't actually miss out on older old school games): a particular shooting in space game, Moonwalker, and the Simpsons Arcade game.
PC game: the one and only original Donkey Kong.

I had no interest in the Play Station One. I could only watch other people play it during those days. (Hence, when Kingdom Hearts came, I fell in love with the PS2...)

Geeze how time flies. Twenty years from now, we'll still be looking back on our memories....

Last edited:

Paper

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
It's a 3-way tie between the N64, Gameboy Color, and the PS1. Why? Because Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Starfox 64, Pokemon, and Suikoden II were the five games that made my childhood memorable.

No SNES titles since I never owned one. I used to go to a friends house just to play the original Suikoden.

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Super Mario on the SNES, it was my first game and I absolutely loved it :zomg

Smash Brother and Mario Party on the N64

Ah you could really feel the love the programmers put in their games :hee

Enn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
As for the really old ones, I remember I liked playing Contra.

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Contra and Super C-Contra, and Donkey Kong Country, were both cool too.

I'm not sure if I played Fire Emblem, as I might be getting that confused with the Dragon View / Drahken game...

Is Fire Emblem, more like the traditional RPGs (like FF 1-4 and Dragons Warrior/Quest ~1-4), ???

----------------

Naruto-niichan,

do you mean Super Mario World for the SNES ??

have you played the NES' Super Mario Brother games (1-3) ???

They were really challenging as a kid, and still are now, hehe.

---------------

For any of you who've played:

NES: SMB 1-3
SNES: SMW

which one do you like the best out of these 4 ???

Last edited:

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I am the old school gaming generation, hehe. the gaming industry has been faithfully following my generation hehe. What are all the games now? adult/mature games, because me and my generation are adults now, hehe. As I and my generation has aged, so have the games of the gaming industry to match me and my generation's new age as we gotten older and older.
Where 'mature' means ultra realistic violence and blood rather than content lol. And don't forget XBox Live, where anonymous people can swear and send send stupid anonymous death threats to one another. Like over and over again and never get bored. And unless its got 'death and blood in it', games are for kids. One really weird thing is that these people seem to think the media stereotype is of some kid in his bedroom, when the real stereotype of today's gamer is some overweight 30 year old wierdo with SAS fantasies, who never goes outside.

my console history: Atari -> NES + old Apple Comps > SNES + old MACs -> PS1 + PCs
The oldest we have is a PlayStation 1 that only works when you turn it upside down lol. I'm not a fan of PlayStation games, though. They were mostly car racing games and a few more I didn't like, like Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear Solid. I know there were supposed to be some decent Japanese games on the PS1 but this was a British one.

The next console in our house is a Nintendo Wii, and right now I want a Japanese XBox 360. Its probably because of my lack of interest in the PS1 we never got a PS2 but then again, I'd only have wanted a Japanese one.

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Faintsmile said:
Where 'mature' means ultra realistic violence and blood rather than content lol. And don't forget XBox Live, where anonymous people can swear and send send stupid anonymous death threats to one another. Like over and over again and never get bored. And unless its got 'death and blood in it', games are for kids. One really weird thing is that these people seem to think the media stereotype is of some kid in his bedroom, when the real stereotype of today's gamer is some overweight 30 year old wierdo with SAS fantasies, who never goes outside.
Laughs... thanks for your positive assessment of me... laughs... though I'm not sure what SAS stands for...

and yes, I do agree that modern games have become all "glitz and glammour" but no substance. NES and especially SNES were the GOLDEN YEARS of gaming, especially RPGs, they made the best games of all time, with excellent game play, smooth game content (ignoring the sometimes numerous bugs, sighs), and awesome stories !!!

it's the same with movies too... the 80's and 90's had the best movies of all time, with excellent and gripping and interesting stories... now modern movies are so boring and lamely "who can make the best CG movies", with no story or content at all.

--------------

I didn't like the PS1's CD load time... and I only got it as unfortunately, the RPGs and Fighting Games, moved onto this console and at the time I considered the PS1 to be better than the Nintendo's newer consoles, as the older consoles were becoming obsolete and phased out, sighs.

Tekken 3 (own), FF 7 (own), FF 8 (rented only), VS. (own), Tactics Ogre (own), MGS (own), and Breath of Fire 3 (rented only) were my only games I either bought or played-rented.

Last edited:

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Actually I do like R-Type Delta on the PS1.

My uncle used to be well into modchipping, pirating and all that, and he used to own a few of each different console. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have seen a Megadrive or a Super Nintendo. Or as some of them were called, a Genesis or a Super Famicom.

Would you believe although I love Hope Estheim I've never played a Final Fantasy game?

Last edited:

rudorofu

Reaction score
Country
Canada
There were a ton of great games for N64, PS and Gamecube! Still have the last one, but traded the other two for the newer generation game consoles. Some of my favourites are Final Fantasy VIII, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Party and a few others. Really makes me wonder why in the world I traded them in the first place -sigh-

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
The N64 is the one with the gay trident controller, its to blame for the analog sticks on every gamepad I'm no use with. :p

Funnily enough I've been looking at preowned GC games for the Wii today - Shikigami no Shiro 2, Ikaruga and Chaos Field.

rudorofu

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The N64 is the one with the gay trident controller, its to blame for the analog sticks on every gamepad I'm no use with. :p

Funnily enough I've been looking at preowned GC games for the Wii today - Shikigami no Shiro 2, Ikaruga and Chaos Field.
Trident controller XD That's one way to look at it...It was definitely an interesting design and felt weird when you have to use the analog stick. Oh well, the games for the N64 were still pretty decent :P

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Trident controller XD That's one way to look at it...It was definitely an interesting design and felt weird when you have to use the analog stick. Oh well, the games for the N64 were still pretty decent :P
Not for me, I'm useless with fine grooved analog controls. If I can't play with a d-pad, I prefer not to play at all.

Aazholh

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Super Mario Bros. 1,2,3, Lost Levels
Zelda 1 & 2
Metroid
Iron Tank
Mike Tyson's Punch Out (they took out the Robin Givens punching bag sequence, that's why today they only call it Punch Out; they also took out Mike Tyson :/ )
Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2
Donkey Kong
Pac Man
Faxanadu

I think all of these can be bought and played on the Wii, so I strongly recommend playing these gems.

Super Nintendo had some great games too. Like Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Zelda: A Link To the Past, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.