Seinen - Feng Shen Ji by Zheng Jian He | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Feng Shen Ji by Zheng Jian He

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Feng Shen Ji​

Demographics : Seinen

Genre : Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Historical, Martial Arts

Publishing Status : Ongoing

Author : Zheng Jian He

Artist : Tang Chi Fai

Groups Editing : Easy Going Scans

Mangaupdates

About the Story

The Great Shang dynasty has been in power for many years but the Gods' find fault with the new emperor. Instead of submit to their will at the expense of his people, the Emperor resolves to throw off the Gods' yolk and free humanity. However, not only the Gods but a rival, the young Zhou who submits to the Gods' will for his own purposes will face him!

The fate of the dynasty, nay, the fate of all humanity will be determined by this great battle between the forces of Heaven and Earth!

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
heh, just started the chapter 1 and i gotta say the art is awesome.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
So I caught up to this and I have to say I was pretty engrossed...I absolutely adore the "hero escapes the prison where he matures" plot device, so of course I like this title a lot...the art is gorgeous and the cliffhanger of the last chapter:gwah...

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i think i know what they are trying on the mines saying that there is a man eating monster in the mines to stop people from going outside their caves at night so that they can use the ogre (the one he helped by giving medicine) to dig or help them dig large amount of rubble (he said that he don't want to stay in the mines for too long)

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Indeed and those who are supposed to be eaten or taken away from the beast, have already escaped through the tunnel. The chopped arm could be one of the guard's.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Why did he reveal himself? I just can't understand that last move:blink

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Looked like a desperation move. He wanted to save the children but he could have kept his silence. I doubt both the outcome of the battle between Li Jing and God would permit both of them to survive. So, if he has kept his silence, he could have more time. If Prince is able to stop the battle between the god and Li Jing, all the wrath will be directed towards Gou.

Last edited:

Zangetsugetsu

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
It is quite unfortunate that the participation on this thread is so little. It would be great to get this manga it's own designated forum with the likes of the others at the top.

I started reading this manga recently and also have come to enjoy it greatly. I have come to find that I look forward to this manga release over that of the manga which have their own designated forum at the top.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
It is quite unfortunate that the participation on this thread is so little. It would be great to get this manga it's own designated forum with the likes of the others at the top.

I started reading this manga recently and also have come to enjoy it greatly. I have come to find that I look forward to this manga release over that of the manga which have their own designated forum at the top.
Yup the story is quite good...I've rarely read stories were gods and mortals were so outrightly combined and thrown into conflict...and the art is gorgeous...

However it is manhua, which contributes to the lack of a fanbase, and thus lack of a designated section...

Zangetsugetsu

Reaction score
Country
United States
If Tower of God can get it's own section, Feng Shen Ji can eventually get it's own section... if only we could get more people to read it...

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I am bit shocked at the pace of the series. Looking at the released chapters and events already occurred, its going all guns blazing. The recent chapter was good again.

I was pretty certain Zi Yu cannot die off screen.

Zangetsugetsu

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought this past chapter was great as well. It is unfortunate that Ah Gou underwent the loss he did a chapter or two back.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Wow, just wow...I have caught up again and I'm pretty much amazed by the developments...

The defeat of grandpa was pretty gruesome and I like the face of this new villain...grandpa's daughter...cool chick...

All these prisons for Gou seem to matter on an ideological level as well, not just as plot devices...to be under the chains of the gods and manage to persevere under them to finally conquer them is presented literally and figuratively as well...

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Wow man, I love this comic. So great. The pace is excellent, the art, the plot, everything. I just read the whole thing in the last week. Pretty well suprised....

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Wow man, I love this comic. So great. The pace is excellent, the art, the plot, everything. I just read the whole thing in the last week. Pretty well suprised....
Oh nice:clap...pretty well timed too, with the end of this arc...I absolutely adore that Tian is not the current main villain...female villains are:hurr...especially this one...doesn't really subscribe to comicbook stereotype from what I've been reading

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Oh nice:clap...pretty well timed too, with the end of this arc...I absolutely adore that Tian is not the current main villain...female villains are:hurr...especially this one...doesn't really subscribe to comicbook stereotype from what I've been reading
Yes. The story of Shi Xing had a pretty nice twist turn when we knew he was a good king with noble feelings and actions toward his people. That also portrayed the Xin Yue as THE bitch among the bitches.

Only things I didn't like it so much until now:

- The art is just great. (I think I will postulate it for the best art category in the current manga awards, dont you think it has a chance?). But in the panels about the fights, in some moments I think the author focuses too much in drawing the bodies of the figthers much more that in their movement:

So, sometimes, to me, beyond the perfect lines and the amazing colors, the art lacks of some fluidity...

- I didn't like the plot development of Zi Dian. I feel it a bit farfetched, since his attempt of rape and his personality seems to be there only to construct a better relationship between Ah Gou and Ah Lan, and to project Ah Gou as a noble and brave warrior. Nothing more than that, and I don't think that line was necesary at all: Ah Lan and Ah Gou could have a good relationship since the beginning, and Zi Dian disproporcionate and violent behaviour wasn't necesary at all.

- I also would like Shi Xing to have a better fate. He's just a really greta character. It would be a shame if that is all about him, and I hope for him that in the story there would be a world beyond dead from where he could have another chance or at least a moment of freedom of his evel curse.

- Almost there is no humor in the story. I only remember one joke (Ah Gou saying that Xin Shi was a handsome kind).

The rest, 95% of the comic, is just amazing. Pretty great comic and I'm really happy to have found it. Thanks for the thread, because that was the way i follow to find it :-)

I found this interesting post about the historical background by starspawn08 from mangafox:

For those who do not yet know, the Shang dynasty actually existed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shang_Dynasty
There was also a medieval fantasy novel about its fall: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fengshen_Yanyi
and a manga ( which I have not read yet ) based on said novel: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/houshin_engi/
Some characters also recur in other Chinese fantasy stories like Journey to the West and Lotus Lantern.

The main difference between the traditional story and Feng Shen Ji so far is that in the former the last king of Shang was considered corrupt and tyrannical and the overthrow of his rule was thus seen as a righteous war.
I will read about it, since I didn't know about this background.

Last edited:

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
This series has become one of my recent favorites. The plot development is excellent. Wu Geng's growth is impressive. Rather than being all guilty about earlier assumption of Zi Yu's death, he didn't let it drown himself. Wu was willing to move forward.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
This series has become one of my recent favorites. The plot development is excellent. Wu Geng's growth is impressive. Rather than being all guilty about earlier assumption of Zi Yu's death, he didn't let it drown himself. Wu was willing to move forward.
I don't know much about manhua. But I wonder if they won't have another great comics like this one. I enjoy the art so much. It's a gift to the eyes.