Manhwa - Freezing | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Manhwa Freezing

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Title: Freezing
Genres: Seinen, Action, Ecchi, Romance, School Life, Sci-fi, Supernatural
Author: Im Dal Young
Artist: Kim Kwang Hyung
Publication: Kill Time Communication (Serialized in Comic Valkyrie)
Start Date: 2007
End Date: Ongoing
Number of chapters at review: 31
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 31

General Overview:

Earth was invaded by strange creatures called Novas from another dimension. A group of soldiers were formed to fight off these creatures. They were called Pandoras. Pandoras are females and are produced from an academy called Genetics.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8

Very well drawn manga. There's no doubt about Kim Kwang Hyung's artistic ability. The layout was clean and clear. Very easy to read and follow the story if a person could remember that this is not a manga but manwha.

The characters are superbly drawn. There's no complaint whatsoever with the body composition. The facial expressions are well drawn. The reader should be able to pick up on what a character is feeling but the combination of body language and facial expression.

Plot: 4

The plot could use a bit of work. The beginning unfolded well but as the story progressed, I'm not sure where the author is trying to go. The character build up was short and could've developed. It should've focused solely the protagonist but the story seems to be jumping around quite a lot.

Characters: 4

There's just to many characters. Was this supposed to be a harem type manga? I think the author is trying to appeal to the male population with sexually appealing women.

The main protagonist is sure interesting and has a heart felt past. Aside from that, there's not much character development.

Reading this manga, it somehow feels awkward reading about the position of the male role in Freezing. Even though males are powerful in their own way, they're almost treated like second rate. In addition, I feel that there is a difference in age between the female and male characters. The female characters seems to be much older and mature while the male characters seems like a bunch of boys.

Theme: 4

I'm not too sure on what's the theme. It may have been love could change someone but I'm not sure. It could be survival of the fittest? I'm not sure. Freezing lost me somewhere.

Originality: 4

Freezing is reminiscence of the Japanese manga called Mai Otome or Mai Hime. One of the two. I think it might have been Mai Otome. I thought that Freezing started out well but it started to go downhill. I thought that Mai Otome had a better story line as it focused on the main characters. The cast in Mai Otome were better utilized and managed.

Overall: 3

By the tenth chapter, Freezing lost it's appeal. It was downhill from there. I don't think there's much to Freezing other than a bunch of females that have big breasts fighting each other. One question I did have was that was Freezing really classified as "seinen?" What's "seinen" about it? Any clarifications?

If a person just like action and no real depth to the story, Freezing might be for you.

Last edited by a moderator: