Second Round - Fruits Basket vs. Act-Age | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Second Round Fruits Basket vs. Act-Age

Who wins?

• Fruits Basket

• Act-Age

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

revo

The Witch of Certainty
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

Fruits Basket
Natsuki Takaya
Act-Age
Tatsuya Matsuki

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique

Alrighty then...

Fruits Basket is a story that focuses on Honda Tohru:

and her adventures with the Soma family, who provide both the antagonists and protagonists of the world. Tohru's mother passed away shortly before the start of the story, which basically leaves her by herself. While she used to live in a tent, by chance two members of the Soma family happen upon her, and give her a place to live in. Initially, the Sohma's seem like good people, who have no hidden agendas, but as the story unravels more and more of what afflicts this family is brought out to the light.
A secret shared by all the Soma's, is that when hugged by a member of the opposite gender, or under special conditions, they transform into animals

Q. What makes a manga sensational? From the moment you first pick a series, what keeps you along for the ride?

Answer 1:

The manga's host of characters. What draws people into reading a manga, first and foremost, are the characters. A basic element of story telling, and one that Fruits Basket excels in superbly. Whether they be main characters, side characters or even tertiary characters, all the characters in Fruits Basket are very, very memorable.

In fact, I would say the cast is so diverse that it applies to all fandoms. Essentially,

a) For fans who are into battle shonen, we have the character Kyo Soma.

Remarkably similar to an orange, Kyo is brash, hot headed and rather immature. He also carries a rather competitive and fiery nature, not wanting to be second to anyone in anything. A very big fan of martial arts, his goal is to one day defeat his fierce rival, Yuki.
Kyo's secret form is the Cat.

b) For fans who are into more quiet main characters, we have Yuki Sohma:

I would compare him to an apple, since while he tends to be rather stoic, his past is actually quite disturbing. But where Kyo tends to be loud and brash, Yuki is quiet and more reserved. The two male characters act as foils to each other, which in a way, makes for some pretty endearing interactions.
Yuki's ultimate goal in life is to break away from the Soma family, who have decided most of the things in his life ever since he was little. His transformation is a mouse.

c) For fandoms who like seeing story telling from a mature/adult point of view, we have Hatori Soma:

Fruits Basket does not simply evolve around the characters in high school (Admittedly a good portion of the cast). A few of the characters are already working adults, who interact with the high schoolers rather occasionally. Hattori is one of them, being the doctor of the main family:

His transformation is that of a water horse.

d) For fandoms that are into humorous story telling, or characters who have a naturally funny disposition, there is Hatsuharu Soma:

One of the characters in the series with the most screentime, he is almost always there for the other characters whenever they are feeling down. His comedic antics usually cheer them up, and he always brightens up the show whenever he shows up. Basically, a big brother of sorts to some of the cast members. His fashion sense is also probably one of the best in the manga:

Haru's transformation is a cow.

e) For fandoms who are into cute story telling, there is Kisa Soma:

The youngest character in the story, she basically oozes out cuteness whenever she is onscreen. Actually grows on you from the moment she first shows up on the show:

Her transformation is that of a tiger.

Basically, the series is laden with characters that would apply to all fans. Which is one of the many strong suits of Fruits Basket. And that is why it is deserving of your vote in this round.

Last edited:

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland

night on the galactic railroad
- A posthumously published 1934 classic novel that's been adapted into various stage musicals and plays.
Synopsis: Giovanni and his friend Campanella, who is dead from drowning, travel on a celestial railway which is a ferry of souls journeying to the afterlife.

_________________________________________________​

My campaign for the first round focused on the power of method acting and why everyone should read the up and coming Weekly Shonen Jump masterpiece. This time, I'll take you into the pages of the Yonagi Kei's first stage production: Night on the Galactic Railroad. Act-Age is a story about stories, and this one is profound tale about accepting one's death, the death of others, the possibility of the afterlife, and living for another day. But don't just take my words for it. Spoilers Ahead.

Act-Age pairs a dying director with an aspiring actress
This theatre production of the classic Japanese story serves as a chance for a dying director to get his troupe of his beloved young actors to accept his passing that he has not told any of them about; he does this by enrolling our method acting protagonist to carry his message to the stage.
(read right to left)

Yonagi Kei uses her method acting to embody death itself...

...face to face with the director's protege and his heartbreak
(read right to left)

Act-Age takes a story about death and makes it that much more personal
(read right to left)

Act-Age shows you it's possible to accept the death of a love one

And grow from it. And make art from it.

Vote for Age-Age!

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
night on the galactic railroad
- A posthumously published 1934 classic novel that's been adapted into various stage musicals and plays.
Synopsis: Giovanni and his friend Campanella, who is dead from drowning, travel on a celestial railway which is a ferry of souls journeying to the afterlife.
thats interesting, i dont read act-age I m currently reading another manga about acting too, darker with more tragics stuff than act-age though, Kasane, and they did play the very same play, i know its probably popular, but still, interesting to note both authors went for this choice :
acouple of pages to show :

Btw i recommend it so far ofc, back then when istarted i was reluctant coz, its about acting, i figured people woudnt be interested, but seeing act-age success, i now think anyone who is interested by this topic might check this maybe, just warning, its showing human nature (more specifically women) at its ugliest, its all about competition, appearances, stomping over other people to get what you want.

DaGreatNoodles

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I started recently Act-Age (actually bought the first volume) and I have got to say it's a great manga! The mangakas did a great job depicting the competitive world of the cinema industry. The scenes in which Kei Yonagi (main character) is using her method acting are probably my favorites.
Anyhow, I'm definitely voting for Act-Age. ;)

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
thats interesting, i dont read act-age I m currently reading another manga about acting too, darker with more tragics stuff than act-age though, Kasane, and they did play the very same play, i know its probably popular, but still, interesting to note both authors went for this choice :
acouple of pages to show :

Btw i recommend it so far ofc, back then when istarted i was reluctant coz, its about acting, i figured people woudnt be interested, but seeing act-age success, i now think anyone who is interested by this topic might check this maybe, just warning, its showing human nature (more specifically women) at its ugliest, its all about competition, appearances, stomping over other people to get what you want.
Thanks for the rec! I never knew about the story either but after reading Act-Age I realised how much of a classic it is. Since you've seen it done in Kasane I'd definitely recommend reading Act-Age to see how it handled the material. It spent a good 31 chapters on it so it goes into great detail (my campaign was a very streamlined version).

I started recently Act-Age (actually bought the first volume) and I have got to say it's a great manga! The mangakas did a great job depicting the competitive world of the cinema industry. The scenes in which Kei Yonagi (main character) is using her method acting are probably my favorites.
Anyhow, I'm definitely voting for Act-Age. ;)
Yay! Glad you're enjoying it. Yonagi's method acting scenes are my favourites as well!

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Hermit
Where's Gure and Ayame :gwahUnless you're saving them for later ;)

Anyways, Fruits Basket

PS: Good looks on the Hayasaka gif :D

Status
Not open for further replies.