Voting Round 3 - Fullmetal Alchemist vs. Goodnight Punpun | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 3 Fullmetal Alchemist vs. Goodnight Punpun

Who wins?

• Fullmetal Alchemist

• Goodnight Punpun

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Fullmetal Alchemist
Hiromu Arakawa

-

Goodnight Punpun
Inio Asano

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

The President

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
FullMetal at the peak of writing under shonen constraints. However those shonen constraints are fairly large, and PunPun is one of the most unique and well written series I've ever read. I will have to give the W to PunPun here.

But we all know how popular FMA is so.........Goodnight PunPun.

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Poor Brandish, we both are victims of the gender-bender nature of the internet. :feelsbadman

Now about the match, I can safely say Goodnight Punpun is one of the most underrated manga series of all time. For once, I dont think FMA can win my vote without some serious campaign.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Seriously, FMA has to be stopped at some point. Why is it in this event? Because of Erinyes! Magi didn't even need to campaign and yet she crushed Lala despite her efforts. She was so sure of her victory that she voted for her rival. Could you bear that humiliation? Could you? :scry

Styx

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Fullmetal Alchemist.

I have tried Goodnight PunPun but I don't get the charm. At all. Fullmetal Alchemist is at least interesting, very, very interesting.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Seriously, FMA has to be stopped at some point. Why is it in this event? Because of Erinyes! Magi didn't even need to campaign and yet she crushed Lala despite her efforts. She was so sure of her victory that she voted for her rival. Could you bear that humiliation? Could you? :scry
All of that is true except the "FMA has to be stopped at some point" part. Voting for it isn't really even a choice. It's just acknowledging the basic reality that FMA is one of the three best manga ever to be made; if not the best.

I'm sure PunPun is a great contender but when FMA steps in the ring. what happens next isn't a fight, it's an execution.

My vote goes to the Fullmetal Alchemist

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Going with FMA here because

"It is FMA after all"

And also want to punish Randy for not voting TG even once.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
:feelsbadman Sorry to be such a bad guy demon-kun !

Yare yare :arf

Reactions: Sky

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Brandish, thank you for nominating the series as it is interesting and I really like it so far. Probably would never have started it if it wasn't nominated.

That said, it doesn't beat FMA. I'd like to vote for the underdog here, and if it had been up against something like Naruto I would, but I just can't bring myself to vote against what I deem a vastly more appealing and, tbh, awesome series. Sorry.

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
FMA till the end of this competition, unless a more formidable contender appears. :kappa

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
FMA till the end of this competition, unless a more formidable contender appears. :kappa
You mean Berserk Kingdom?

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Before voting I suggest looking at the draw. If you want to see Bleach or Koe no Katachi take this war you should auto-vote Punpun right now. FMA is a beast of a manga, few series can stand against it. Heck if you want any other manga to win just votelock Punpun now. To tame this beast we need to join together!

Goodnight Punpun

Aiko - the girl in the banner!!

Goodnight Punpun is a 5 star manga imho.
I chose the star rating as the Tanabata - a Star Festival in Japan - is mentioned on numerous occasions.
So here are the 5 stars:​

It's in your face!
Some of the content is full on. Things you don't discuss openly - and GP is confronting with this. It's written in a way that you'll reflect on yourself as much as you feel for characters. The manga can be relentless!

Feels
Obviously if this manga is in your face you're gonna experience some form of emotion. I looked at Punpun and thought 'this is what happens when you beat yourself up over every little thing'. It made me think I need to try a little harder and use my time wisely. I even felt a little embarrassed when I could relate to a few of the characters in their 'darker' moments. And sometimes you'll feel sad... or as the narrator would say 'just fine today'.

Characters
You probably won't love the characters much in Oyasumi Punpun. They are flawed, regular people. There isn't a badass, or epic, or cute person to see here. What you will find are realistic and explored characters, which makes sense given the previously mentioned stars. Though there are some weird, over the top characters too.

If I had to mention one specifically, it would be 'God'. He's Punpun's imaginary deity who is supposed to help him in tight spots... but instead encourages anti-social behaviour. He's basically a troll.

Art
Some of the best in the wars! Here are some pics (a few were used before sorry)

Something different!
Just seeing Punpun's design should demonstrate this point...

that hair!!
I liken GP to an Art film or Arthouse film, since I haven't read enough manga to compare.

Conclusion
Goodnight Punpun is worthy of taking on and beating Fullmetal Alchemist. I love FMA; truth be told I like it more than GP. It's just that, depending on how I want to look at it, I can find reasons why GP is better, and vice versa. This is definitely a battle of mainstream vs niche. If you want to give the little guy a chance here, please vote for Goodnight Punpun!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.