TV - Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire - TV Adaption) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire - TV Adaption)

Hystzen

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Game of Thrones is an American medieval fantasy television series created by David Benioff and Dan Weiss for HBO. The series, based on author George R. R. Martin's best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels, chronicles the violent dynastic struggles among noble families for control of the Iron Throne of Westeros.

* Sean Bean as Eddard "Ned" Stark
* Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
* Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon
* Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jaime Lannister
* Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark
* Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister
* Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
* Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont
* Aidan Gillen as Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish
* Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen
* Kit Harington as Jon Snow
* Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark
* Maisie Williams as Arya Stark
* Richard Madden as Robb Stark
* Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy
* Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark
* Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon
* Rory McCann as Sandor "the Hound" Clegane

I know we have a thread on the book but this will deal with the show and your views. Does it live to the hype, is it poor compared to the book and what do you expect to see in the future.

*please use spoiler tags for future plot related parts of your post dont ruin it for other people*

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Re: Game Of Thrones

I've discussed this quite a lot today here already, in my own and win threads, but I'm still open for more discussion. I come from the book reader perspective. One could almost say fanboy.

As first I must say, HBO television was the only real option for this epic series to be adapted on film. Too long and detailed to make into movies. HBO being the only broadcaster with the guts and stantards to make this, without toning it down and significantly chaging it. They have history of making genre shows fresh and accesible. I think it has the characteristics of a hit HBO show; Slowpace. Sex and violence on the surface, but something deeper, a beating heart laying under it.

Saw the pilot earlier today. The day I have been eagerly waiting for almost half an year now. And I wasn't dissapointed. Of course it isn't quite same as the books, but that was to be expected. One always has his/her own image of the world and I knew things would and needed to be changed for the adaption to work. And the changes are great. There is no extra or filler or pointless changes. Everything that was changed was changed for a reason. And, most importantly, stayed true to the characters, story and overall tone. However, the biggest flaws of the episode also come from the difficulty of adapting a book to a sceen. A myriad of characters are introduced in a very short time span. I bet for a new watcher the names and places are all over the place. Who was this again? Was he related to her? And the weird sounding fantasy names of same characters certainly don't make it any easier. Also there are some bit surreal talks between people about things both certainly know vey well, for the reason of explaining things to the watcher. It's bit unreal, but fortunately not distracting.

The production value is incredible. Everything looks darn good, nearly perfect. Music was a positive surprise, since Djawadis earlier work (Prison Break, Ironman, Clash of the Titans). The intro sequence is very handsome looking.

The acting was overall pretty good. Shining stand outs were Peter Dinklage (Tyrion "The Imp" Lannister) and yound Maisie William (Arya Stark). Also the big stars of the show were no dissapoinments. Sean Bean was Eddard Stark and Mark Addy deleted every doubts fans had over his casting. Just can't wait to see Aiden Gillen as "Littlefinger".

And everything ended in an shocking cliffhanger. For me it lacked a bit of impact, but mostly because I knew what was gonna happen. Reading some online comments, the general reaction seems to be as attempted. Shocked and intrigued. Interested to return next week.

So, did you guys have any favorite parts on the first episode?
Mine might sound a bit weird, bit it was Bran's climbing and the arrival of the King. Especially liked the exited wide-eyed Arya looking at the soldier and knights. Also giving as a first look of Sandor "The Hound" Clegane, one of my favorite characters in the series.

The Hound helmet was badass.

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

I literally just finished watching it here in sunny UK.

I liked the prologue more then the book the whitewalkers looked cool. production value is great so far it doesn't look like a TV series more like a film the opening is going on my blog for the animation and art style. I want a puppy Direwolf now especially Jon's albino one.

I agree the Hound looked amazing the armor is sick and his entrance in the parade was great.

Danery part is still as dull as book but it expected as i hated her parts in the book.

Joffery looks like a tool :lmao

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is great as i was hoping

I dont mind the changes mainly the age of characters or the altering of timeline as it flows better now IMO.

good place to end the pilot too, so far it is promising and now looking forward to rest of the show

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

First episode got a solid 4,2M ratings, 2,4 on first show. Not a huge success, but as said solid. For example significantly more than True Bloods premiere, which is now HBOs most watched show with regular +6M views. Just gotta hope as the word spreads the popularity rises as the season comes to end.

On other news; HBO officially green lighted season 2!

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

I would ignore first episode ratings.

most those ratings be off people who heard and seen the hype and watched to see what is special about it.

I would check the ratings about 5 episodes into this season first before a season 2 is finalized. They did same with Broadwalk Empire put money aside for season 2 if it stays high ratings which it did so season 2 is fully greenlit

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

I predict Orgz will be slightly dissapointed with Thrones, but comes back for ep 2 anyways. :maracas
Spot-on, man!

I always give series 2-3 episodes before I decide whether to drop them or not, as it's obvious the pilot can never get the plot going 100% or give all the characters enough development to actually base opinions on.

I'm really not sure whether I'll keep watching Game of Thrones, mostly because I honestly never was a fan of the whole fantasy genre. It was visually astounding (sometimes a bit too nice, if you know what I mean...) and the writing and overall directing effort was good as well.

Acting performances were varied, going from great to so-so... With some characters it was too apparent they were acting. I mean, of course they are, but it's not a great performance if you only see someone acting, and not a character (then again, I felt this way about Steve Buscemi in the pilot of Boardwalk Empire as well, and he changed my mind BIG time later on).

Nonetheless, the reason I'm not really feeling that this is my kind of series (yet..?) isn't because the pilot gave off a bad impression, but because fantasy is the genre I have the hardest time getting into in general. I'll be watching the next couple of episodes as well, but the pilot certainly didn't completely swoop me in. Still, here's hoping this is the first fantasy series I can actually proudly say I really like!

(Xena is guilty pleasure...)

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Spot-on, man!

I always give series 2-3 episodes before I decide whether to drop them or not, as it's obvious the pilot can never get the plot going 100% or give all the characters enough development to actually base opinions on.

I'm really not sure whether I'll keep watching Game of Thrones, mostly because I honestly never was a fan of the whole fantasy genre. It was visually astounding (sometimes a bit too nice, if you know what I mean...) and the writing and overall directing effort was good as well.

Acting performances were varied, going from great to so-so... With some characters it was too apparent they were acting. I mean, of course they are, but it's not a great performance if you only see someone acting, and not a character (then again, I felt this way about Steve Buscemi in the pilot of Boardwalk Empire as well, and he changed my mind BIG time later on).

Nonetheless, the reason I'm not really feeling that this is my kind of series (yet..?) isn't because the pilot gave off a bad impression, but because fantasy is the genre I have the hardest time getting into in general. I'll be watching the next couple of episodes as well, but the pilot certainly didn't completely swoop me in. Still, here's hoping this is the first fantasy series I can actually proudly say I really like!

(Xena is guilty pleasure...)
Thankee orgy :hurr

The trouble I think and HBO are slightly worried about is what you brought up fantasy genre is not that popular. Although later on it becomes more like Sopranos with the political backstabbing starting.

At least you didnt hate the episode and wanting to watch the rest but if it stays to book with few odd changes like they did i think you might enjoy it. Try to block out it fantasy you might find it similar to Broadwalk empire (which was damn epic show) :thumbs

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

I checked the short episode summaries from wiki, and I'd say it starts really rolling from ep4 (The Tourney) onwards and the really gets epic from ep 6 to 10. Based on summaries of eps 2-3, I remember hardly anything significant. Ep 2 has drama, but I'm worried about the actors/actresses involved getting the emotion through, since it focus on the kids.

Orgz, I'm curious in your views since you are a non-reader. Did any character in particular catch your attention/interest? Which of the actors you found worst?

CBlitz

Reaction score
Country
United States

well I just watched the pilot myself and I was generally pleased. I think Bran is a bit too young and Arya has too much of a babyface. Otherwise the acting was generally good, I really like Tyrion, he's exactly how I imagined him in the book except better looking. Also Cersei was a bit too timid but I guess she becomes more important later on so its no big deal. The production values are great. Really fx wise, the only thing that bothered me was Dany's hair. It looks incredibly fake, couldn't they just make her a platinum blonde?

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Episode two was also pretty good. Though it suffered a bit from what I predicted, Joffrey and Sansa don't have so strong actors. But the last 10 minutes or so were still amazing, gave me goosebumps. Legendary line by the Hound. "He ran, but not very fast" Interesting how they cutting made it almost feel like that

Brans revival was thanks to sacrificing Lady. I wonder if it was intentional. We know there is something magical between those wolfs and the Stark children. Not something I thinked about when reading in the books, but seems plausible.

Though I think it was just to make Brans awakening more dramatic.

Despite the tension in the end, as whole the episode still wasn't amazingly impressive. But I do think it is building up to be epic.

Lyra Belaqua

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Lithuania

So I watched the first episode, and god, was it bland. Bland cinematography, bland colour palettes, bland sceneries, bland soundtrack, bland script, bland acting. I barely managed to suffer through it to the end. They even managed to make the "Things I do for love." scene into something bland. Definitely won't be watching any more of this show.

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Episode two was also pretty good. Though it suffered a bit from what I predicted, Joffrey and Sansa don't have so strong actors. But the last 10 minutes or so were still amazing, gave me goosebumps. Legendary line by the Hound. "He ran, but not very fast" Interesting how they cutting made it almost feel like that

Brans revival was thanks to sacrificing Lady. I wonder if it was intentional. We know there is something magical between those wolfs and the Stark children. Not something I thinked about when reading in the books, but seems plausible.

Though I think it was just to make Brans awakening more dramatic.

Despite the tension in the end, as whole the episode still wasn't amazingly impressive. But I do think it is building up to be epic.
I will type at full review of episode 2 later but here is something you will enjoy as much as i have

God bless Tyrion in GOT you are the star to me (alongside Jon)

anyway full review

It was a great improvement acting wise (apart from Sansa :fail ) loved the Danerys scenes for a change (not for the lesbo action :hurr) it showed character growth better than book. from the shy girl who is powerless and used like a chess piece to a girl starting to dominate her man.

They moved the scene with Eddard and King talking about her marriage to Kahl also to this episode maybe bit hasty considering what they talk about in the book. still loving Tyrion is the most compelling actor and character in the show him being the only Lannister to show true concern over Bran was nice touch as was his talk with Jon. The assassin scene was great showing how much Cat would fight to protect her family.

now i curious in the viewing figures obviously the hype is not as bad as past months and people who where only interested due to hype did they stick around to carry watching it

Last edited:

CBlitz

Reaction score
Country
United States

The Hound was kinda eh in the 2nd episode. It just felt like he was some body guard and I really don't like his "scar"(he doesn't look too maimed asides from the bad haircut). In the novels, he was a badass with an even worse face. I can understand beautifying some of the characters...but the Hound? Bitch please, half of his character development is good BECAUSE of how messed up he looks. NERD RAGE

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

I've liked Hound this far. Sure, they've prettied him up a lot. In books part of his jaw bone was visible and stuff. But at this point, he was no more than just some bodyguard in the books, and so it is in the show. I have nothing to complain. I'm eagerly waiting ep4 (The Tourney) to build a better image how he will be portrayed in the series.

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Got to remember it a tv show..so have to be careful with gore and other stuff. The true hound with really messed up two-face style face might draw complaints

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Not only that, but heavier the make up the more expensive and harder on the actor. Especially because he has quite many fighting scenes.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Favorite character: Tyrion
Hated character: Joffrey

/captainobvious

Some might be glad to hear that I'm starting to enjoy this series more and more for each episode (as I almost knew I would...). Need to sleep now, but might drop by tomorrow to give some thoughts and opinions.

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Obvious indeed. Everyone loves Tyrion and hates Joffrey. I can hardly give unbiased opinion on favorite characters based on the show because I've read the books. But Tyrion and Arya have been awesome. Also, I never really liked Jon Snow in the books. I mean as a character, but I liked his plotline maybe the most, but I think Kit Harrington is doing a good job portraying him. Though Dinklage steals every scene from him.

I loved this episode. Finaly a one that didn't end in bad note. Or well, not so bad as the first two. The ending was brilliant, on the other hand it was very heartwarming. The father-daughter relationship, Arya getting to do what she wants. But then right at end you can almost feel the pain from Beans face as the practice swords clashes turn in to metal on metal.

I think book fans enjoyed the episode greatly, since it had many fan favorites. Littlefinger, Varys, Syrio Forell. I personally enjoyed the added scene with Mormont and Rakharo (or who ever, I never were able to memorize who of the bloodriders was who). The other added scene with Robert telling war stories wasn't so good, but still had something interesting in it. Ser Barristan was bit poorly introduced in that scene, but whatever. The way Lancel was displayed made me almost think they fused his character with Podrik. Also about the new scenes, I liked the short one wtih Yoren, Tyrion and Benjen. Also liked the brief mention of Duncan the Tall. Kinda a shame that there isn't really a convienient way to include all the history of Westeros to the show.

But the high-light of the episode for me was definetly the ending. Damn, Syrio Forell was excellent and the the close up to Eddard...

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Strange don't hear much opinion on the true villain Jaime Lannister, it kind of a like him hate him attitude which i find interesting. The tension with Ned in episode 3 bubbled up when talking over the past king and Ned's father.

Sean Bean really excelled this episode with his acting from showing dis content to love with his family and wife.

spoiler beware

if you know the book look
How touching was the scene with Ned and Cat saying farewell. For us who know the book we know that was the final time they together which was even more emotional with Ned breaking nearly into tears at the end

also where the hell is Ghost :cookiestare

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

also where the hell is Ghost :cookiestare
I wondered that too. Damn the new viewers will be like "WTF he had a wolf too???" when it finally had an appearance. They couldn't have just completly cut it off the show. Or could they?