General Discussion Thread | Page 13 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

General Discussion Thread

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ima be a rebel and side with Goldy on this one :derp

MSofAofCOCA

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ohboyohboyohboyohboy!

Gintoki doesn't stand a chance! :XD

knock on wood.

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
How dare you (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

calm down. he was knocking on wood. :3c

or maybe I should say "start a riot!", cause I'm not getting my daily iodine needs. :notrust :derp

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Here, I'm willing to share :pjsalt

Afterall, we can't have you salt deficient for when the tears start flowing! :hurr
thanks for the salt... NOT!

you already made me lose more than what you gave me... :biblethump :bedtime :emocat :emocat :emocat :emocat

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Over a decade ago, Rurouni Kenshin was popular and it wouldn't have been a surprise back then if many people mentioned Kenshin among their favorite charcaters. Kenshin making it to the final round during these times when stuff like Fairy Tail and Durarara are more known sounds almost like a miracle.

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Over a decade ago, Rurouni Kenshin was popular and it wouldn't have been a surprise back then if many people mentioned Kenshin among their favorite charcaters. Kenshin making it to the final round during these times when stuff like Fairy Tail and Durarara are more known sounds almost like a miracle.
Well, that just proves how much of an unforgettable character he was.
I admit that I haven't watched all of the animated series related to him, but in all honesty, I think that the way he was presented to the public, made him that much more interesting.
Anyway, it's time for the final round and I know already who to vote for! :D

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Well, that just proves how much of an unforgettable character he was.
I admit that I haven't watched all of the animated series related to him, but in all honesty, I think that the way he was presented to the public, made him that much more interesting.
Anyway, it's time for the final round and I know already who to vote for! :D
Watch the OVA trust and betrayal (4episodes) : pure gold !!
, and read the manga, but the anime is quite average, decent at most, imo.

the ova's Ost is stellar ♥ :

Also ♥Hiko Seijuro♥ is voiced by Shanks (op), Kite (HxH2011), and he's so greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaat !!!

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So, as someone who's never watched the anime or read the manga, what should I do? Read the manga and then watch the (from what I've heard) good OVA's? :?bunny

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So, as someone who's never watched the anime or read the manga, what should I do? Read the manga and then watch the (from what I've heard) good OVA's? :?bunny
Well the Ova Trust & Betrayal are the prequel, it's about kenshin past and how he became a battousai. in the manga it happens in flashbacks.
I think you can watch the ova whenever you want, I watched them before reading the manga, but it's up to you I guess.
I don't think it's a spoiling stuff, as from the very start of the manga you learn about his assassin's past, but well, if you want to be safe then read the manga 1st then watch ova's.

Edit : Forget to mention that the oVa are way darker, than the manga which is overall lighter.
The gintoki vs Kenshin is quite ironic, considering Gintama is a kind of rewriting of the end of Edo History too & new Meiji Era.

Here's Kensin's Okita :zomg

Last edited:

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
IIRC, Kenshin's full backstory was only given during the final arc of the manga. I don't know if it was the same for everyone, but I remember throughout the manga, there was that sense of mystery and lingering question of what happened that had changed Kenshin. We are giving a few clues here and there, and when I reach that point it left an impact on me. The OVA is still praised by those who haven't read the manga.

I also remember while reading Rurouni Kenshin, I was compelled to research the Bakumatsu and Meji eras to better understand the characters and their backgrounds. If you are familiar with the Bakumatsu or played/watched Hakuouki, then RK will be easy to get into, since it happens after the historical period that Hakuouki covered.

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
The gintoki vs Kenshin is quite ironic, considering Gintama is a kind of rewriting of the end of Edo History too & new Meiji Era.

you mean this guy? Tomoe's brother a.k.a Yukishiro Enishi...
It's so like RK.. especially at the 1st episode with the whole Shinsengumi and Oniwaban group :XD
I was like.. "Ok, gintama is a rip-off from RK." :p

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
@kira not necessary, I just meant overall historical setting, but i agree about his resemblance with Gintoki :)
But this historical period is inspiring most of samurai stories.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
you mean this guy? Tomoe's brother a.k.a Yukishiro Enishi...
It's so like RK.. especially at the 1st episode with the whole Shinsengumi and Oniwaban group :XD
I was like.. "Ok, gintama is a rip-off from RK." :p
Lol Gintoki is a rip-off of lots of people. Thing is, he does it better than all of them ;)

Battou

⎲⎳
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
He indeed does

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Lol Gintoki is a rip-off of lots of people. Thing is, he does it better than all of them ;)
well Enishi isn't much to begin with :XD
but I agree that Gintoki does a lot of them better. Not the husbando part though. :p
well he could actually be a pretty good husbando with a little development, but as it stands, he's below Kenshin. :blush

If it was something like "Funniest Character", then I'd choose Gintoki without a doubt. :amuse