Discussion - GIMP - Questions and Discussion | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion GIMP - Questions and Discussion

DrPepperPro

MH Senpai
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a place for you to talk about GIMP (any version). You may ask questions, give tips, discuss features and plugins, share brushes and other presets, or anything else generally related to GIMP and manga.

To download GIMP, go to http://www.gimp.org/

This sticky was patched together from all previous threads that fit this category. The actual creation date of this sticky is May 31st, 2011.

Last edited:

woofcat

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Gimp Tutorials?

Hello, i was wondering if anyone know of any gimp tutorials on cleaning manga? I would us Photoshop but i use linux, thus it would be pointless for me to run it in wine. (too slow)

Eagle

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France

woofcat

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: Gimp Tutorials?

Thanks for the links!

rankgain

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gimp text problem

Anyone here use GIMP? I've just started, and for some reason, everytime I try to use the text editor box thing, Windows says there is an error and it closes. I can't stop it. This happen to anyone, and does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Re: Gimp text problem

Hi, i have used the gimp for typesetting before, and that has never happened to me. Have you tried un-installing gimp and gtk, then re-installing both and trying again?

rankgain

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

No, maybe I should try that...[br]Posted on: September 21, 2006, 05:19:27 AM_________________________________________________IT WORKS! Thank you!

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

lol no problem, glad i could be of help

Moved to the main MH Academy board. ~ Ayah

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Typesetting for Linux Users

[eni]The first four following posts were moved from the Double Arts thread into this one. [/eni]

Sounds interesting but I'm a noob at that kind of stuff. And then using GIMP, since I have Linux, is going to be ... well, interesting for the most part. Wich Paint.NET was available for Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
Re: Double Arts by Komi Naoshi

you can typeset pretty well with gimp, segua ;) *is used to doing just that* after a short period of getting used to it, it's pretty easy too =3 just a different interface ;) (though I hear that's supposed to change in v2.7/2.8 finally x3)

And Photoshop (up till CS2) works on Linux perfectly, too :p Dunno about Paint.Net, but I doubt that will work that easily...

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I hate typesetting in Gimp since it not offers any further options to format text. The text tool is Gimp's big let down compared to PS' otherwise it's fully equal, IMHO.

Therefor I still recommend to simply boot a windows image with Qemu or Vmware-Player. It's the easiest way and we're going extremely offtopic here >.>

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States

I would not even dare to typeset with GIMP. It's much more work than it needs to be. I find that, when I was still using windows, that Paint.NET and Adobe ImageReady worked great together. (Didn't want to buy full version of PS:CS2 or bootleg PS:CS).

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany

Segua, this becomes very offtopic in this thread. Let me move the posts to the academy. 1 sec. Ok, done.

Well, you could give Paint Mono a try. It's a project that tries to port Paint.NET to unix but the current project status is unclear to me:
http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2006/May-19.html
http://redirect.trinec.de/?code.google.com/p/paint-mono/

You could also try Krita instead of GIMP. But I haven't installed it in ages and can't say at all how the font tool has developed. I also don't know whether you can import PSD's or not.
http://koffice.org/krita

Another alternative is scribus, a layout program for print media. If you have seen the MH Yearbook, I've made the whole Moderators-part in scribus. You can import psd's too but you have to calculate from px to pt or mm.
http://www.scribus.net

Though, when the group is working with PS, it's hard. I had the experience that GIMP doesn't always import PSD layers correctly and as said above it's a bitch when you want to typeset. Scanning, cleaning, editing and coloring is absolutely no problem in GIMP but I wouldn't recommend it for typesetting.

The best solution for me is still to boot a windows image in a virtual machine and simply open PS (or whatever you're used to) for such stuff. I'm not a fan of emulating with Wine, either all or none.
As much as I wish for working with linux only, I simply don't feel like making my life any harder then it needs to be and there's a handful of programs that I really love to work with which won't get any linux alternative in the near future (in my case: Corel Painter, Terragen, Poser, Photo Impact and my Genealogy software).

Last edited:

segua

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Typesetting for Linux Users

I've been trying to find a suitable Linux graphic design program. GIMP is nice but I don't like the whole work flow but it's dreary.

When it comes to text, so far, PS and the tools Adobe provides seems to be the best so far in my opinion. Well, I suppose I should clarify my point. If a person is going to be do anything fancy with the text such as extra effects, PS is great.

Now that I think about it, if the picture is saved in a really high resolution or a big picture, a page layout program might work wonders when it comes to text. I should give that a shot.

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Typesetting for Linux Users

The layout program becomes problematic when the typesetter gets pages with PS layers and is expected to send them back as such. I could 'import' the psd as an image but not export it, so it only works when you're the last one in line or a standalone Manga Editor.

You basically load the page as an background image and set text layers on it which can be saved as a container or exported as png/jpg/pdf/whatever. It's possible to have a whole chapter in one container file since you can work with several pages (magazine project).

Scribus, as a natural print layout software, offers a wide and easy to set repertoire for all kind of text settings and effects (though, you have to get used to it as the menu is very different from graphic programs). The negative side is, however, that it works with formats for print media and that it's not meant to handle graphics aside from being images on a page. It opens up GIMP out of the project file when you want to edit a graphic, though. It has layers, a path tool and could be used for borders and lines but clearly not for cleaning and such.

Well, just try it. I really enjoy working with it in combination with GIMP but it's surely a matter of habit and patience :3

Last edited:

newbie97

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
GIMP level

can you level using GIMP?

Ante

Reaction score
Country
England
Auto Glow -- GIMP

Ok.. I need to know how to use auto glow with gimp..

Atevi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Auto Glow -- GIMP

I'm not sure about "auto glow", but if you just want glowing text...

there are many ways.

One that works for me, while editing the text select "Paths from Text" in the text ToolBox. Create a blank layer, move the layer to below your text layer, then hit shift-V to get a selection of the text boundary. From the menu do Select>Grow and choose a pixel size that is about 1/5th the font size +/-. Fill the selection with the color you want the glow to be (it'll be solid at first). De-select the selection, CTRL-Shift-A. Then do a gaussian blur Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur... about twice the blur radius of what you selected for the grow size. Then adjust the Opacity of the glow layer until you're happy with it.

I hope that's what you're looking for, and is easy enough to follow.

Last edited:

Hayate-kun Denwa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Auto Glow -- GIMP

I'm not sure about "auto glow", but if you just want glowing text...

there are many ways.

One that works for me, while editing the text select "Paths from Text" in the text ToolBox. Create a blank layer, move the layer to below your text layer, then hit shift-V to get a selection of the text boundary. From the menu do Select>Grow and choose a pixel size that is about 1/5th the font size +/-. Fill the selection with the color you want the glow to be (it'll be solid at first). De-select the selection, CTRL-Shift-A. Then do a gaussian blur Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur... about twice the blur radius of what you selected for the grow size. Then adjust the Opacity of the glow layer until you're happy with it.

I hope that's what you're looking for, and is easy enough to follow.
Thank you very much with that. That is exactly what I was looking for, being a GIMP user myself.