Voting Round 2 - Gintama vs. Rurouni Kenshin | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 2 Gintama vs. Rurouni Kenshin

Who wins?

• Gintama

• Rurouni Kenshin

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda

Gintama
Hideaki Sorachi
-

Rurouni Kenshin
Nobuhiro Watsuki

Rules

- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kenshin is great. But I would vote for Gintama over anything, possibly even my own nomination. It is the funniest and most insane manga ever written and somehow still can carry considerable emotional weight. Not to mention...scenes like this...

My vote goes to Gintama​

YumaKuga

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
I'm going for Kenshin because I really liked the story and the time period and everything else too it
Its a really fun read and worth anybody's time
So vote for Kenshin or else <_>

Gryffindor

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Gintama vs. Kenshin??!

Well, Kenshin is a great series I’ll admit, but Gintama has a certain charm to it. The series is known for its comedy, which encompasses many levels whether it be original comedy arcs, parodies, and even taking the simplest thing and making a mountain out of a mole hill. But this series is far more than comedy, it reels you in with some really tragic moments, wows you with some really amazing fights, and gives you an appreciation for its wide cast of characters, each who’s story is presented to the reader down the line.

Gintama’s Setting

Gintama takes place during the Japanese Edo-period where aliens known as the Amanto have invaded, fearing their power the Shogun surrenders and allows the Amanto free reign over the country and bans the use of swords in public further humiliating the samurai he betrayed. This is the premise for the story and its ignored for a majority of the series(something the series makes fun of itself for doing), however its important to note that this premise serves to fuel the catalyst of events for the real main plot point.

The Protagonist
Sakata Gintoki

Gintoki is someone who is already a developed character when we are first introduced to him, this being a result of his past which you get glimpses and subtle hints of along the way before the occasional info dump. A man who carries a massive burden, it’s difficult not to love this silver haired, permed, sweets addicted goofball. I mean just look at the shenanigans he goes through.

From Lesson 336-“Even A New Year’s Party Has Things You Should Never Forget”

From Lesson 339-“People Are Able To Live By Forgetting Some Things”

That was just like .000000001 of the hilarious shenanigans that occur in Gintama and with Gintoki specifically, but it also has its epic/serious moments:

From Lesson 300-”Ghosts Aren’t The Only Ones Who Go Crazy In Graveyards”

The Cast
Thought Gintoki wasn’t enough, well here’s a look at just how large the cast of the series really is:

Each with their own unique story and quirkiness that deepen the appreciation for them and displays how well Sorachi manages to treat his cast:
Here's a small sample size:
The Alien Girl

Glasses

The Demonic Vice Commander

The Rebel with Gorgeous Locks

The Rival

The Story

The main plot in Gintama isn't prevalent until the later parts of the series, though it is hinted at, foreshadowed, and there is significant build up. The story as a whole focuses on the adventures of the characters but eventually everything is tied together to fit the narrative the story attempts to tell. Don't take that as a bad thing though, this series truly delivers with the day to day life of the characters and it keeps you entertained with all the wackiness that these people go through. However, not all is smiles and sunshine, the manga does have a serious side that tackles character motivations/relations/and struggles delivering some really heartbreaking/heartwarming and sensational moments.

It takes creative freedom with it's comedy arcs, for example:
We all know about Shonen Jump’s famous popularity polls right, well how about seeing the concept adapted as a manga arc.

Or an arc where the main character turns intro freaking Yamcha:

Or an arc where some of the cast becomes homeless:

Yes, they're wearing cardboard boxes

^This was part of a serious arc, but a nice chuckle nonetheless.

Well that was long, but there is so much more I can talk about, but we'll leave it at that for now. Gintama is a great ride and there is something in it for everyone.
Thanks for reading and vote Gintama!!!

P.S. I did my best to avoid any spoilers. Without context, I don't think some of you who are not up to date will be spoiled.​

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
darn Gryff with his amazing campaign :twitch everything that was on my mind got lost halfway through reading his post.

You still gotta vote Kenshin guys!! because... uhm... uhm... uhm... because of what Econ said!!

Also, think of the kids! they prefer Kenshin! :^_^

Surely, you don't want your kids copying what they see in Gintama and stir a cup of coffee with a long-ass stick or picking their nose with their hands. Kids like to put their hands on their mouth!

@Brandish Yumi wants you to vote Kenshin :hurr

How can you do this to me?
I would vote for both!
But it appears that I have to make a decision, which will probably pain me...
Gintama it is.

P.S: Forgive me @kira.:feelsbadman
It's ok, Zasz. :^_^:amuse

Temperance

The Red Spear
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
France
Voting for Gintama because it's the funniest thing I've ever read, even though it managed to get a story behind all this :lmao
Sorry @kira , you should have introduced Kenshin to me earlier:feelsbadman

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Its Husbando Wars all over again...

And as history repeats itself I must vote for Kenshin :blush

Status
Not open for further replies.