Voting Round 3 - Gintoki Sakata vs. Yato | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 3 Gintoki Sakata vs. Yato

Who wins?

• Gintoki Sakata

• Yato

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crescent Jinx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Not sure whether to saltvote against Gintoki every round
:awe
Don’t saltvote against the Gintoki. Embrace the Gintoki. Love the Gintoki. Live the Gintoki. He is way of life.

or help make sure he wins to justify „the loss to the final winner in round 1“.
:?bunny

Are you telling me to win for Speedwagon? :turtleMission accepted.

@Juviii with three i’s, :sexyarf:handgun Challenge your failed War God!!!! He can’t even do odd jobs as well as Sakata!!! :evil :evil Nor is he as sexy a samurai as mine!! :cop

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Going with Yato like I promised Juvii

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore

Why should we care about Sakata Gintoki?

:blushbirb

Previous posts:

Does Sakata Gintoki know how to use his sword?

Is Sakata Gintoki just a pretty face or does he actually have the qualities that are needed to be the best husband?

“The Land of the samurai. It’s been quite a while since our country has been called that. Twenty years ago, a race called the Amanto seized power and established a prohibition on all swords. The samurai now tread a fine legal line. In this age, there’s a man who still possesses the soul of the samurai. His name is Sakata Gintoki.”
-Shimura Shinpachi

:yodawg

Gintoki is an extremely odd goofball - who spends his days lounging around reading manga whilst imparting wise and sage-like advice to his younger employees. Even though sometimes it seems he doesn’t know what he is talking about - he actually does. However, even though he is lazy, Gintoki is quite dedicated to his job and tries to help people with the best of his abilities. He has a group of people that are very important to him and through these bonds, I hope to show you how special a Husbando he truly is by exploring his bonds.

Part 1: Paternal Bonds

Sakata and Youshida: The Father

The first person Gintoki cared about was Youshida Shouyou. The man adopted him and took the boy into his school. His life pretty much starts when Shouyou found him looting around corpses, some of people he killed beforehand. He was known as the corpse-eating demon. After trying to defend himself with a scavenged sword, Gintoki is told by Shouyou to follow him that the sword isn’t for protecting oneself but for protecting one’s soul.

It was there that Gintoki met Kotarou Katsura and Shinsuke Takasugi, who were fellow students during their childhood. If Youshida was his father then the other two boys were his brothers. Gintoki had a rivalry with Shinsuke during his childhood as they were both extremely skilled swordsmen and very evenly matched. This is was his first sense of family, which would carry on into adulthood for him.

"The country? The skies? You can have them. I’m busy just protecting what’s right in front of me. I don’t know what’ll happen to me in the future, but if something has fallen at my feet, then the least I can do is pick it up."
- Sakata Gintoki

Years later, despite Gintoki's best efforts to stop them, people arrested Shouyou and burned down the school. Before leaving, Shouyou asked Gintoki to protect his fellow students, as a promise, to which Gintoki mentally agreed. After learning what happened, the students decided to join the ongoing Joui War on the Joui side to rescue their imprisoned teacher.

Gintoki, Katsura, Takasugi and later Sakamoto joined and battled in the Joui war. This is how Gintoki earned the title of Shiroyasha, meaning White Demon, because of how strong he was in that war.

Eventually Gintoki, Katsura, and Shinsuke found their teacher, however not in the fashion they would have wanted to. Katsura and Shinsuke were being held hostage by the Tendoshuu, with Shouyou in front of them in the same state. Gintoki was given a choice whether to kill his comrades or his teacher, to which he had no choice but to behead his teacher. This soon caused the group to break, and Gintoki carrying the burden of the decision.

Gintoki and Otose: The Mother

Alone and wandering aimlessly, Gintoki had nowhere to go and no motivation to do anything. One day, he overhear a man trying to offer his daughter to be executed in his place to a group of officials. The man was a Joui informant who had given up information on certain group and their families to these officials that belonged to a political faction in the government. Gintoki offered himself up in the daughter's place to protect her and both he and the informant were arrested.

In jail he unknowingly met the girl that he saved. She was adopted by the executioner — who saw Gintoki's deeds and, after executing Asaemon's father, declared that he had no right to execute the person who was a good man and then released him.

Injured and starving he wandered in the cold winter night to a graveyard to die until he sat behind Otose’s husband’s grave. Otose had come to visit her dead husband with a food offering. Gintoki, starving, then asked if she could spare some of her husband’s food, to which she responded by ‘ask my husband’. Gintoki ate the food without asking by saying “Dead people don’t talk.” At that time, Gintoki vowed to protect Otose as long as he lived in place of her husband.

After a while, she let him start a business in the floor above her workplace, which he named it ‘Yorozuya Gin-chan’ where he met Shimura Shinpachi and Kagura.

Gintoki, the ground you're standing on isn't a past or future with a predetermined course.. You're standing in Kabukichou." - Terada Ayano (Otose)

It’s really interesting to me as Gintoki demonstrates the kindness that was shown to him by extending it to others. He mimics his mentor by taking in kids himself. He honors Otose by helping people that need help. Both of these bonds shaped who he is - a strong but kind hearted man. We also see a part of him that takes up the burden of what others can’t take. While he might be lazy, he will step up if needed. And when he sees misfortune on other people, he even puts himself in harm’s way to just to help their plight.
And this is just where his character starts.

My next post excites me very much - which will be about these two - Kagura and Shinpachi. And how he’s both their friend, father, and sibling. Since this is the main family unit of the series, I hope to do it justice. And in future rounds, I hope to write about his relationships with Hijikata, Okita, Katsura, Otae, Takasugi, and others.

So please vote Gintoki because there is so much more left to see.
:confetti

Plus he just looks like a good Husbando

:cheerbunny

Last edited:

Juviii

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Previous posts:

Yato best husbando
Yato qualities
Yato discount

Yato
Yato is a good husbando for any type of women:
  • If you want a pet or a pokemon:

• If you are the maternal type:

• If you want a bold/teasing man:

• If you want a gentleman:

• If you want a hero:

• If you want a man that knows what he wants since a young age:

No one is as good at odd jobs as Yato:
That's why he was noticed by the God of Cleaning:

If you want a family and a man that is all this and more:

Vote Yato!

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Tough battle this one.

Prefer the look of Gintoki for hotness, but Yato has a troll-ish appeal with snake eyes.

I guess my vote will sway in the direction of a Mihawk voter.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I know next to nothing about Yato, though he looks rather annoying.

Gintoki is "cool", but that has to be the only thing going for him when it comes to husbando qualities. He's a manchild, he's reckless, extremely lazy, unintelligent, he's an alcoholic, and on top of that he's a gambling addict, blowing any money he does have on pachinko. So while he's funny and charming in some sense, he has next to no appeal as a husbando IMO.

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Tough battle this one.

Prefer the look of Gintoki for hotness, but Yato has a troll-ish appeal with snake eyes.

I guess my vote will sway in the direction of a Mihawk voter.
Did shameless bribery :datass

@Juviii

Why be a pet or Pokémon when you can be a trainer?

Remember the episode he brought spicy chips to Okita’s sister because nobody would give her any (due to saying it’s bad for her help)

And with using Kagura’s tattered umbrella

• If you want a hero:

• If you are @Crescent Jinx and want a sexy samurai with good parenting skills and good at odd jobs:

:catshrug
We are talking about some very, very odd jobs.

Obligatory Samurai spam

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Gintoki is "cool", but that has to be the only thing going for him when it comes to husbando qualities. He's a manchild, he's reckless, extremely lazy, unintelligent, he's an alcoholic, and on top of that he's a gambling addict, blowing any money he does have on pachinko. So while he's funny and charming in some sense, he has next to no appeal as a husbando IMO.

:4head Sorry........ Was just reminded of what wives say about their husbands when they are away. :gar

Manchild? :fan Clearly not a problem since that’s been a point in my campaign.

Lazy, yes, he is extremely lazy but he will also step up when it’s required. Plus he truly cares about people:

Unintelligent? No can’t give you that. Because Gintama is a comedy and his character is suppose to be funny. Doesn’t make him stupid. Plenty of times he’s shown to be intelligent and also he chooses to be less serious. Plus the dude knows what’s up.

Alcoholic?:XD No no. He does drink. But that’s never pushed to be a major part of his description in the series. Plus he’s a samurai. You don’t think a Japanese series will have samurai who doesn’t drink sake????:derp

Gambling, he does do. But he also spends endless amounts of money on video games, consoles, mangas, etc.... So we are suppose to say any guy with a job who likes to spend money on having fun isn’t a good Husbando??? :Haha

I know next to nothing about Yato, though he looks rather annoying..
:XD I thought you read Noragami for a little bit? No? :cheez

Juviii

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Did shameless bribery

@Juviii

Why be a pet or Pokémon when you can be a trainer?

Remember the episode he brought spicy chips to Okita’s sister because nobody would give her any (due to saying it’s bad for her help)

And with using Kagura’s tattered umbrella

• If you want a hero:

• If you are @Crescent Jinx and want a sexy samurai with good parenting skills and good at odd jobs:

:catshrug
We are talking about some very, very odd jobs.

Obligatory Samurai spam

He is just being a good parent in most of those though. But is he a good husbando? All I see is a parent that that doesn't even have a steady ship in the series (looks like someone that will never settle down, doesn't it?) and is too fast with his sword :catshrug

Yato special husbando power:
And have I mentioned that Yato has a power called divine possession? He can possess your body and learn how it is to be in your skin. Can you see how useful can that be? :hurr

Does Gin-chan know what a woman wants? :heh

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
He is just being a good parent in most of those though. But is he a good husbando? All I see is a parent that that doesn't even have a steady ship in the series (looks like someone that will never settle down, doesn't it?) and is too fast with his sword :catshrug

And have I mention that Yato has a power called divine possession? He can possess your body and learn how it is to be in your skin. Can you see how useful can that be? :hurr

He does have a major ship of the series which is Otae but most of the fandom would throw that her out for Gintoki x Tsukuyo :catshrug. It’s a bit like Yato x Bishamon

Or Yato x Kofuku

Juviii

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
He does have a major ship of the series which is Otae but most of the fandom would throw that her out for Gintoki x Tsukuyo :catshrug. It’s a bit like Yato x Bishamon

Or Yato x Kofuku
Not really, those 2 aren't crushing on Yato and have another men on their lives.

Bishamon is his rival (and that scene was a prank) and Kofuku is his troublemaker partner.

His true ship is Hiyori and it's mutual love.

Battou

⎲⎳
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay

And have I mentioned that Yato has a power called divine possession? He can possess your body and learn how it is to be in your skin. Can you see how useful can that be? :hurr

So he's an incubus basically? Zero respect for your body i guess, cheating by using magic instead of taking the time to know the person you love :nah

Juviii

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
So he's an incubus basically? Zero respect for your body i guess, cheating by using magic instead of taking the time to know the person you love :nah
Not cheating, extra practice. Such a good and dedicated husbando. :derp

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
:4head Sorry........ Was just reminded of what wives say about their husbands when they are away. :gar

Manchild? :fan Clearly not a problem since that’s been a point in my campaign.
Wut

Not a problem for you perhaps. That doesn't give him universal appeal though.

Unintelligent? No can’t give you that. Because Gintama is a comedy and his character is suppose to be funny. Doesn’t make him stupid. Plenty of times he’s shown to be intelligent and also he chooses to be less serious. Plus the dude knows what’s up.

Alcoholic?:XD No no. He does drink. But that’s never pushed to be a major part of his description in the series. Plus he’s a samurai. You don’t think a Japanese series will have samurai who doesn’t drink sake????:derp

Gambling, he does do. But he also spends endless amounts of money on video games, consoles, mangas, etc.... So we are suppose to say any guy with a job who likes to spend money on having fun isn’t a good Husbando??? :Haha
I didn't say he was unintelligent because he's funny. This is a minor thing compared to other stuff, but this guy does a lot of dumb shit. Sure, that can be somewhat endearing... but spending all of your money on gambling detracts from his other positives IMO. Surely there's other ways to have fun than literally throwing your money down the drain.

I think you misunderstand me a bit though. I like Gintoki, that doesn't mean I'd want to be married to him.

:XD I thought you read Noragami for a little bit? No? :cheez
Very little ages ago, not enough to form a confident opinion on him as a husbando.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
He’s a god so he doesn’t use magic :p

Juviii

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Background: Yato was born from a wish and raised to be a God of Calamity. He was taught to kill people until he met someone that was a motherly figure to him and gain understanding of right and wrong.
Now, since he met Hiyori and Yukine he has been working hard to be a God of Fortune.

Personality: Though Yato always behaves like a clown and can be quite childish he can just as easy be wise and serious when the situation requires.

Dreams: His dream is to have a temple and have a lot of followers as a God of Fortune.
He has once stated that his true dream is simply to live happily around Hiyori and Yukine.

Vote Yato

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.