Voting Round 1 - Goodnight Punpun vs. Toriko | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 1 Goodnight Punpun vs. Toriko

Who Wins?

• Goodnight Punpun

• Toriko

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

Goodnight Punpun
Inio Asano
-

Toriko
Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro

Rules

- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Last edited by a moderator:

Gut's is the man

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Toriko don't even got leg's let alone a horse in this race.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Toriko don't even got leg's let alone a horse in this race.
That's a shame. Toriko has the best damn horse in fiction.

Please note, that white spot on the bottom right are people.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I am sorry, but I have to vote for the worse food manga over a series nobody has heard about.

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
What I know from @Brandish's sig and avy is that it's a weird series. I know it's well liked too.

Favoring Toriko, which is not bad. And I read it.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Oh voting Punpun, because it's on my must-read list, i know it's extremely good and possibly depressing. :pout

Also i used to like toriko but at the end it was no more what it used to be, and about cooking/food/gourmet things, Sns ended up delivering more of what i was expecting from Toriko. i gave up on this manga, and here some coms that are summarizing my thoughts :

Posted onAp by Daz sorry its long but so true Ap link

This finale is such utter exaggerated nonsese; an endless stream of powerups and text-heavy BS biology. Of course, this has always been part of Torikos DNA - so why doesn't it work on me now? Because before, there was straightforward, easily understood shonen action-fare as the connective tissue - nay, as the actual meat of the series. Exagerrated explanations and powerup nonsense go down a lot smoother when theres space between them, and time to absorb them. It also helps when it involves main characters we care about, and scenarios we can comprehend.

I guess you can boil down the current arc to "NEO/Acacia bad!!! Stop him!!", which is why the best part is the 8 kings, and their attempts to do just that. But its telling that everytime we go to characters with actual dialogue, the whole thing falls apart. The density of exposition mixed with powerup nonsense is just too great now. Its like if Dragonball had a new transformation every single week, with detailed explanations for each, and kept swamping its exaggerated action with layers upon layers of complex mythology, mechanics and obscure motivations...without being a self aware parody. What was once a nifty, fun spice sprinkled across the manga is now being served up as a main course, and sheer overexposure to Nonsense and Exposition just leaves us with a shallow-feeling finale. And worse, its going on with wildly unengaging characters. Most of the actual main characters are not given spotlight, with 3 of the 4 heavenly kings literally lying in a ditch, leaving us with Toriko and Starjuchiki Trafasuke...and the main character himself doesn't even seem to contribute much. If all this nonsense was accompanying Zebra doing something ridiculous and badass with his voice, that'd at least be something.

Toriko now is like two schoolyard kids doing an endless cycle of "And then, the Bad Guy got even strongerer than that, because he spat out his demon, and got stronger, and then ate the demon again!!" "And then the other guy escaped the unescapable prison of No escaping ever because he could copy the luckyness of the other bad guy and became so lucky that the prison exploded!!" only the kids are supplementing their story with massive explanatory essays and complex loredump wiki-entries, and have long since forgotten who the main characters of the story used to be.

+

Wow, Midora out-haxxed Joras incomprehensible haxx!!! Amazing!!

Seriously, this would be a lot more satisfying if the techniques weren't so abstract and broken. Between Gourmet Luck and Minority World, Midora can basically manipulate reality freely with naught but a blind stare.

"An interplanetary beam is fired at Midoras forehead at point blank range! OMG, how does he get out of this?"
"Gourmet Luck."
"Well, okay, but how exactly did that manifest -"
"Gourmet luck makes him not be affected"
"But we clearly see the shot go into space, so did it go through him, or did he dodge, or -"
"Gourmet Luck."

Screw that.

Posted on Ap by glass

If someone had told me in the beginning that:
appetite manifestations were going to become real creatures and then turn into super space demons reincarnated inside people
Skill in cooking food was going to changed into literal luck and then the luck is going to become ghost people telling you how to cook things.Also the luck can help you fight
The struggle to capture and cook ingredients using complex methods is going to be replaced with simply fights and komatsu poking things at the right place or doing off screen activities
The plot is going to kill a perfectly acceptable and logical evil organisation and replace them with aliens and zombies
Have no moral continuity or logic(killing people=bad,eating sentient beings=good,eating food made from the souls of thousands of people=meh)

I probably wouldn't have gotten invested in this series.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
after googling some more pics yep i would love to read pun pun but yeah sounds very disturbing. won't change my vote though.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
I'm dying to read Goodnight Punpun, but in all honesty, I'm also bulding the courage to do so @.@
It was impossible to ignore it while googling for random art, tho, hence why it ended up in the event banner.
The art is so beautiful... and so disturbing... My curiosity got me spoiled to death, LOL.
It catches the attention like only a few would, imo. And Toriko is pretty boring as well XD Easy pick here.

Last edited:

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

I can't handle all these wrong opinions about Toriko.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Haven't read any but know bit about Toriko so going with it.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Hmm, not sure how much exactly I should write about Goodnight Punpun, there's a lot you could say. There are parts I absolutely cannot spoil.​

The main focus is a young male, Punpun Onodera, from around age 12 to his 20's. You watch Punpun as a little kid commit to foolish ideals and promises he makes, and when they go awry you watch him get depressed about it. His troubled life at home only exacerbates the cycle. As he grows older, these setbacks and more cause Punpun to shut people out, and make more unnecessary commitments to himself. Sounds like joy :derp You could probably say this is going to be depressing, and at times it will be, but it's more that the manga is about everyday existence. To spruce it up, GP is drawn well and written cleverly enough to keep your interest!

Take the picture above, Punpun is mucking around with his friends - and which one is he? The bird stick figure thing at the front. Why that design? Well, a part of Goodnight Punpun's charm is that the author, Inio Asano, likes to shake certain manga tendencies.

Most MC designs are rather plain, and these characters 'become incredible' at some point. Punpun is 'plain' as a character. So you could say this design is having a dig at design conventions. There are a few other reasons for the design that I could suggest, though you'll arrive to that conclusion as you experience the manga. My main point here is that the author goes out of his way on a few occasions to play around with or criticise manga writing. On that note, there is love too...

In the very first chapter, Punpun's crush leaves the school. Then Aiko arrives:

Sounds like what a lot of little boys do in a few stories? Or IRL :fan Compare this to the outcome, by say chapter 140. You'll be rocked at that point. In fact, I recommend reading chapter 1 after you finish Goodnight Punpun for that hindsight.

Anyways, I'll add more at a later time

Edit - when I do, I'll touch on some of the darker/human elements to it, coz what I wrote so far may be misleading.

Last edited:

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sigh, guess I gotta actually put effort in my argument instead of drive by post. The least I can do for one of my favorite series of all time.

Toriko takes place in a world where chefs and food are an immensely important aspect of everyday life. The titular character, Toriko, is a Gourmet Hunter, a person whose job it is to explore the world and provide society with new and exciting ingredients. These ingredients and the environments where they are found are some of the more interesting aspect of the series as they are insanely creative, in both design and, in the case of the ingredients, capture methods and taste descriptions. The series follows Toriko and his partner chef Komatsu as they travel around, hunting for incredible ingredients.

I won't promise you existential feels. I won't promise you an emotional roller-coaster. But I can promise you one thing. Balls. To. The. Wall. Action. If you want to test the limits of your hype meter, this is a series that will do it. If you like insane power scaling similar to DBZ but much more visceral, you will not be disappointed. Unfortunately, during the series 2nd part, it's true that the food aspect was dropped, likely due to the premature cancellation, but the action more than makes up for it, in my opinion.

I can't argue with those criticisms quoted above, as some of those are also issues I had during the series run to the finale, but it still didn't stop being one of the most impressively entertaining series that I've ever read and will go down as one of my favorite series ever.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Sigh, guess I gotta actually put effort in my argument instead of drive by post. The least I can do for one of my favorite series of all time.
[...]

I can't argue with those criticisms quoted above, as some of those are also issues I had during the series run to the finale, but it still didn't stop being one of the most impressively entertaining series that I've ever read and will go down as one of my favorite series ever.
Thanks, your honesty honours you :zomg

Shobu_Yoruichi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
@eefrit man, i'm with you! You only have to always vote for Bleach afterwards

Go go Toriko! I liked a lot reading Toriko and his... indirect homosexual relationship... and of course that Homolust!! Like a memory from the WSJ's Golden Age in our times.. Hokuto, Jojo, Sakigake... yep! besides, when reading, i was hungry, even when just before my lecture i ate something xDD

Pun Pun is made by the genius Asano, which i read some titles, and he reaches a subtle feeling of reality that is surely fulfilled even with the cartoonish design of Pun Pun... but i've not read it, so despite the outstanding art that i know he can do, i don't like pretty much an ethereal development that for sure Toriko is able to bring me the opposite because of science facts.

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Funny, the only Inio work I've read is "Nijigahara Holograph", but from that alone I'm pretty sure I would enjoy "Oyasumi Punpun". It's been on my want to read list for a long time, really need to get to that at some point. Toriko on the other hand is rather meh overall, so I will vote for Punpun besides not having read the manga xD

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
@Brandish was incredibly nice to me lately.
I don't know whether it was a cunning scheme or we are buddies for real, but I want to believe the latter. :awe

Voted Punpun. :blush

Status
Not open for further replies.