Seinen - Grand Blue | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Grand Blue

YbKWzNEb

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Name: Grand Blue
Genre: Comedy, Slice Of Life, School Life
Author: Inoue Kenji (Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu)
Artist: Yoshioka Kimitake

Synopsis

A new life begins for Kitahara Iori as he begins his college career near the ocean in Izu city, full of excitement for his new life. He will be moving into his Uncle's diving store "Grand Blue." There he finds the beautiful ocean, beautiful women, and men that love diving and alcohol. Will Iori be able to live his dream college life?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

YbKWzNEb

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
@Newkerzy Just created this thread after the chapter 28 reveal :^_^

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Just saw what you were talking about now that Helvetica's caught up.

Well, that's quite the shocker, but not exactly unexpected. If this was any other manga, this plot twist would've been seen as dumb and lazy, but considering GB's tone and type of manga in the first place, this is actually fitting.

@ShenGao , why are you hiding?? I know for a fact you read this series, we could use some more love here...:nod

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
@ShenGao , why are you hiding?? I know for a fact you read this series, we could use some more love here...:nod
I didn't even know there was a GB thread here.
Like i said on r/manga, Iori is fucking dead when his friends find out.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well, you do now. Let's liven things up, shall we?

Gajeel

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Chapter 65

A bit late, but great chapter!

The first part of the chapter was typical Grand Blue with the ''misunderstanding/misinterpretation'' comedy. Just re-thinking about the scene at the hotel where Iori asks Kouhei if he lost his virginity makes me smile. Facial expressions on point like always too haha​
Then, we get to Chisa and Iori diving and bonding together. This Okinawa trip has really been a blessing when it comes to the development of their relationship. It's pleasing to see them act so close together. (The IorixChisa ship is getting stronger.)​
The diving scenes always have really great panels so it's always a treat whenever they got underwater too.​
But now... Sakurako... At this point, I think it's pretty apparent that the mysterious texts that Iori has been receiving were from her. I'm assuming that the analogy of Sakurako ''winning'' a ticket for Rangiroa Atoll was not just an analogy, but a reality. She probably bought some tickets, then texted Iori to come with her using an excuse that makes it seems like he owns her or something. She seemed pretty jealous when she learnt that Iori was going on a trip with a girl so it was probably her attempt at sabotaging his trip. But then, when Iori wasn't responding back to her texts, she went over to the Grand Blue shop to go talk to him in person just to learn that he was in Okinawa with Chisa alone. She probably didn't think twice and jumped on a plane right way to Okinawa.​

As for the last scene, it's pretty double-edged. On one hand, I feel like the mangakas are rushing the relationship between Sakurako and Iori. It was already hinted that she had a thing for him with the lie detector scene, but with this kiss, I sense that her character is just going to fall off from now on considering there's no turning back from this. Otherly said I fear that the chemistry they had together, which was pleasant to see, won't be the same from this point on because of the kiss. That's assuming the authors are (hopefully) planning to develop IorixChisa.

On the other hand, that kiss might act be a wake-up call for Chisa. She might be dense, but this kiss is explicit enough to make her understand the situation. Only the future chapters will tell, but my guess is that the kissing scene will trigger something within Chisa which will make her understand and develop her feelings for Iori. I'm all for it though (I'm pretty biased for ChisaxIori, so take it from that perspective).

One thing's for sure though, Iori is the one that will suffer the most out of this scene. Even in the best-case scenario, which would be that the bond between Chisa and Iori grows stronger from this, there's no way he's going to escape Nanaka's wrath once she learns that he kissed a girl other than Chisa when he gets back home hahaha.

Overall, this chapter was a solid 11/10 from me. This chapter itself was pretty versatile: a typical Grand Blue comedy scene (a really good one too!), a sweet diving moment, romantic development with one of the best cliffhangers in the series so far, and last but not least, a charming Death Note reference that makes this chapter a perfection.

I hope the storyline will continue next month instead of adding a .5 chapter. One month's already long enough with this kind of cliffhanger.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, I've finally caught up:celebrate Though I'm a bit sad that now I have to wait a month for a chapters because reading a couple of chapters every day the last few weeks has been my salvation.

Some of my top moments (chap 22-65)
  • Azusa pulling up Iori's skirt and confirming its him at the maid cafe.
  • Iori tricking his crew at the maid cafe.
  • My boi Kouhei putting in work for Kaya's concert prep. :hip
  • Iori sticking up for Kouhei and giving Busujima-sama a splash :super.
  • Shiori pulling what many of us would call a pro-gamer move on Iori.
  • Shiori's face when Iori said she was flat :lmao. That was one for the books.
  • Iori being a right tit man.
  • Yamamoto's existence, he gets it the worst from everyone :XD :feelsbadman
  • Busujima-sama thinking Aina's a slut,
  • Me naively believing Otoya and Chisa had potential.
  • Azusa coming up super clutch in saving Iori and Nanaka's relationship. Also, made me realize Nanaka is by far the best-looking. Why does she have to be a siscon :darn.
  • Iori's part-time job training of hell.
  • Kouhei being in Kaya's proximity.
  • Azusa's master plan to get some quality shots, ultimately failing bc Bukki and Toki.
  • Iori telling Busujima-sama the bitch was in the changing room :lmao.
  • Kouhei "spying" for Shiori's safety and getting along with those foreign dudes.
  • Henta! girl wanting in on that culture. Iori should've wifed her up tbh.
  • Seeing Mrs. Kotegawa, she's HOT.
  • Iori and Kouhei's faces when they thought Chisa and Aina thought they had small dicks.
  • Maki flopping her training hard. She has the best speech bubbles, always so cheerful.
  • Aina's breast pads :fail. What are thoseeeeeeeee.
  • Kouhei playing wingman and that reassuring wink and thumbs up face :rofl
  • Toki dressing for success. Bruhhhhhhh
  • Kouhei learning of Kaya's engagement.
  • Busujima-sama going Super Alpha and asserting dominance by kissing Iori in front of Aina and Chisa.
Ok I may have went a bit overboard, but this series is just too damn good. And continuing from my last bullet point, really looking forward to how this plays out. I'm not a ChisaxIori shipper, as Iori honestly has good chemistry with a lot of girls, well at least before his "reputation" comes into play :XD. Imo, the worst had to be Kouhei sabotaging Iori's date with Aina(the model), I had hope for a few panels.

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Chapter 66

It's been 84 years... but the waiting was worth it.

So not only are we getting a kiss between Sakurako and Iori, but we're also getting a second one? Sakurako sure likes showing her dominance... I was hoping Chisa would react in a more ''dramatic'' way, but alas, my hopes were too high. I guess it's fine this way too though, it's an expected reaction coming from her. Just hoping something awakens within her in the next chapters to spice things up 😤 On the other hand, Aina's reactions were to be expected. I loved how she stood up to Busujima, attagirl Aina.

Iori's faces when interacting with Sakurako were priceless haha. How can someone look so serious yet dumb at the same time? Well, I guess it's nothing new coming from the man Iori himself.

The dumb trio is back, and for a good cause... it's to ''save'' their friendship! I can't get enough of them, every panel with them in is a funny panel. The airport scene particularly. ''But why?'', ''We need these to get justice.'', ''Yeah, they're sacred.'' :lmao *They even wrote poison on the bag 💀

I gotta give the funniest moment to Nojima this chapter. He came up with a technique to get a message back that not even a genius would have thought of.

When Yamamoto said he found the traitor, and you then see Mitarai though, oh no no no hahaha. The poor man's cursed to always end up getting cockblocked. Hopefully, he'll get it next time if he's not dead by now. I wonder how they will react when they will find Iori... after seeing what happened to Mitarai. I am afraid that he will not see another day if they meet under normal circumstances.

One thing that this chapter made me realize though is how entertaining Sakurako's straightforward personality and hotness really is. She was by far the most interesting and visually enjoyable character in this chapter. We could even say that she stole the show. Thanks to her, the story is pretty much spicing up with her confession which will (hopefully) bring some character developments within the main squad (?). Oh, and did I say she was hot? Like damn, just look at these panels. Those eyes...

Sakurako appreciation time

About that confession though, I've seen some people say that it's just for the money, but I doubt it. The panel where she realizes that Iori ''won'' the big lottery felt more like her finding out that she had a good reason to go see Iori than anything else. Then the scene in the past where she floods Iori's schedules with shifts was just a way for her to hang out more with him I thought. Plus we've had other similar instances like the lying detector in the past. Anyway, my point is that she's serious about him (even if it's in a scummy way), so I sure hope Chisa will realize something within herself and confront Sakurako 😤. I wonder what type of game they will play though, guess we'll find out next month.

Overall, this chapter was a Grand Blue/10. The only bad thing is the lack of Chisa panels, but it's understandable considering Busujima's appearance. Anyway, I'm glad the mangaka is back from back issues. Cheers to the many chapters to come 🍻

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
To be honest, I didn’t really like this chapter all that much. I felt the lead-up to the ending kinda dragged out. So I give this a rare 6.5/10.

That said, I do hope this means something for Chii-chan in the next chapters.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd say it was an average chapter, but its great that the mangaka is back and feeling better. Filled the blanks and the reveal of the text messages, and set up for an exciting showdown next chapter. And maybe 2 chapters from now or whenever they have to leave the island, I'd bet the 3 muskeeters find Iori and thrash him :lmao. Pour one for Mitarai.

One thing that this chapter made me realize though is how entertaining Sakurako's straightforward personality and hotness really is. She was by far the most interesting and visually enjoyable character in this chapter. We could even say that she stole the show. Thanks to her, the story is pretty much spicing up with her confession which will (hopefully) bring some character developments within the main squad (?). Oh, and did I say she was hot? Like damn, just look at these panels. Those eyes...
You just realized this about Busujima-sama? 30 chaps late, but better late than never, also don't forget the -sama next time ;). But, thanks for bringing "those eyes" to my attention :verily

I loved how she stood up to Busujima, attagirl Aina.
I mean, Aina is doing the same thing (showing up uninvited), shes accusing Busujima-sama of :errr.

About that confession though, I've seen some people say that it's just for the money, but I doubt it. The panel where she realizes that Iori ''won'' the big lottery felt more like her finding out that she had a good reason to go see Iori than anything else. Then the scene in the past where she floods Iori's schedules with shifts was just a way for her to hang out more with him I thought. Plus we've had other similar instances like the lying detector in the past. Anyway, my point is that she's serious about him (even if it's in a scummy way), so I sure hope Chisa will realize something within herself and confront Sakurako 😤. I wonder what type of game they will play though, guess we'll find out next month.
Agree, I've seen a good amt say it's for the money. But, it's pretty clear she likes Iori, and the money is just a pretext. There's also the lie detector thing a while back.

And like I mentioned before, I'm not that into the shipping stuff, but more the gold that is found from all these interactions.

Cyne, would be nice if you used even a modicum of this effort for the final SnK chapters, instead of lurking 😤

Last edited:

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
You just realized this about Busujima-sama? 30 chaps late, but better late than never, also don't forget the -sama next time ;). But, thanks for bringing "those eyes" to my attention :verily
Probably because it's been so long since I binged the manga. This chapter just re-opened my eyes I guess, or maybe I was too *focused on Chii-chan :hmm (changed a word)

I mean, Aina is doing the same thing (showing up uninvited), shes accusing Busujima-sama of :errr.
Well, it is true that both of them have a similar goal, but as Aina herself said, you can't just walk all over people like you're a queen of everything (accusing her of having a scummy attitude). Busujima''-sama'' is basically ruining all of Aina's efforts in 1 night too, so it's good to see that she's not taking any of it. You should be proud of Aina, she's one of the main reasons why we're going to have such an amazing showdown next chapter which will hopefully do something to Chisa too :hmph

Cyne, would be nice if you used even a modicum of this effort for the final SnK chapters, instead of lurking 😤
Maybe the last chapter we'll see. I've never bothered posting in discussion threads ever since Fairy Tail ended though lol. Grand Blue is the only exception.

Last edited:

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
This chapter just re-opened my eyes I guess, or maybe I was too blinded by Chii-chan :hmm
Pretty bold with the quality in this manga :lmao . I open four eyes like Sukuna. Btw, have you seen any Maki fan art?

Well, it is true that both of them have a similar goal, but as Aina herself said, you can't just walk all over people like you're a queen of everything (accusing her of having a scummy attitude). Busujima''-sama'' is basically ruining all of Aina's efforts in 1 night too, so it's good to see that she's not taking any of it. You should be proud of Aina, she's one of the main reasons why we're going to have such an amazing showdown next chapter which will hopefully do something to Chisa too :hmph
Hmm, I don't think I was feeling proud... :XD

Maybe the last chapter we'll see. I've never bothered posting in discussion threads ever since Fairy Tail ended though lol. Grand Blue is the only exception.
:shootme

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I'm a bit disappointed with this chap. Yes, the kidnapping and fight with the 3 muskeeters was funny as hell and the art was great as usual. But, I was more hoping they'd get involved towards the end of the trip. It cut from the Aina and Busujima-sama competition, which ended in a tie... and them finding some common ground. I was honestly thinking Aina would lose when the game was proposed last chap. Idk I think it'd be more interesting that way and Iori, not being kidnapped, going with Sakurako.

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Chapter 67

Can't wait to see Chisa fight for Io-

A, a-at least we're going to see a great fight between Aina and Busujima-''sama'' for princess Iori, right? I wonder how Iori is going to re-

You should be proud of Aina, she's one of the main reasons why we're going to have such an amazing showdown next chapter which will hopefully do something to Chisa too :hmph
Well, that didn't age well haha. I forgot to take into account the three musketeers factor, silly me...

I agree with the grand majority of what you've said @BD_Beno. This whole competition left a pretty sour taste in my mouth as well. I was really hoping for some development, but it all crumbled down within the first few panels of the chapter when they appeared :lmao . Not a fan of the draw either... it just feels like it is stalling at this point. I understand that it's mainly a comedy manga at the end of the day, but this was a perfect opportunity to add progress to the story... Damn those musketeers for being both a blessing and a curse at the same time, and that draw. Plus, Chisa's reaction... it hurt.

On a less serious note, this chapter had some really good comedic moments. Not that it's unusual... My favourites

Insinuating that Iori is trash

Armored Titan vs Attack Titan

The Sakura Miko (Hololive) reference

This one was the best :lmao Don't know if you guys are familiar with the V-tubers trend, but I totally didn't expect the manga to add such a reference haha.

This is our Kouhei! He truly exists!

Anyway, aside from the comedic moments, it was a pretty underwhelming chapter as stated. The next chapter sounds promising, though. Busujima-''sama'' staying the night with Aina, Iori, Chisa, and Kouhei, and Iori getting questioned or killed (another attempt...) by Busujima-''sama'' and Aina this time for that picture. If that's what's going to happen, then it's going to be spicy if the musketeers don't intervene again...

Last edited:

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now that's good content :hee

Busujima-sama this chapter was something else. My lord :sky2. Iori's priceless expressions were def understandable.

Pour one for Aina, is there any recovery from Iori mistaking her for Kohei lmaooo. Not even the dragon balls can heal that.

I'm glad that picture from last chap was glossed over bc everyone knows how Iori is. Also, the underwater visuals are always a pleasure and nice tibit about the sharks as well.

Lastly, the final panel of Chisa finding out, perfect :lmao
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Volume 17 Cover

Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I am really shipping Sakurako and Iori right now.Please make it canon.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
For as much as I admire Sakurako’s determination, my heart and mind will always go for Chiori.

Also, godammit, Chisa. You blew it.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fun, packed chapter. The only downside is Iori not saying yes is stupid. I've seen enough manga/anime to know that was coming, but still Iori is desperate for a girlfriend, regrets not doing it with Azusa, and rates Sakurako a 8.1/10. I mean the dude is about to be a 2nd yr in college and still hasn't had a gf, and there's nothing holding him back besides the fake relationship, which isn't even a reason tbh. Oh well, I heard Gajeel's sigh of relief echo throughout the hemisphere. And looks like we're getting Nino Busujima, that panel was great.

Some of the lowkey best parts were the one place that didn't serve Peek a Boo members and split in half joke lmao. And that poor glass Nanaka cracked, what did it do to deserve such treatment :gwah. Her confrontation with Iori is sure to be hilarious, hell he'd be safe if he said yes to Sakurako :heh

masgrande

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Busujima really has become such a fun character, would never expected that what seem like a one time antagonistic character would make actually cheer for her.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
This chapter would've worked even better if Iori had actually said yes to Sakurako in chap 69. Still smh at that...

But still fun, excitement meter going negative and Shiori cameo :lmao