What-If - Guts vs Zoro | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

What-If Guts vs Zoro

Web_Pirate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
The Black Swordsman Guts from Berserk takes on Zoro. Now, I actually don't like multi-verse battles. But this is an exception since I love Berserk and One Piece.

Now, the way I imagined this is that characters need to be switched from one universe to another,, so that their respective powers/abilities align with the limits/boundaries of their worlds.

While I'm aware that Berserk's world is a lot more humble/down to earth compared to shounen one of One Piece, it still has some amazing fighters and powerful monsters.

So without further ado,

Golden age adult Guts vs East Blue saga Zoro. The setting is in Berserk and Zoro is a mercenary hailing from eastern lands of Kushan Empire.

Guts has his pre-eclipse greatsword and steel armour.

Distance ~ 10 metres. Both are serious.

Second battle this time is in One Piece, castle grounds on some unamed island. Guts is post eclipse with black plate armour, dragonslayer and his mini cannon. He's a Captain of the country's mercenary force.

Zoro is Thriller Bark Zoro, with shusui and other two blades.

Distance is the same. Guts is at his worst mental state, vengeful, sadistic and on verge of insanity. Zoro goes demon/ashura mode. Who takes it?

Third battle. Setting is Berserk. Guts has berserker armor and is totally engulfed by his rage, amplified by armor's malignant od(spirit/haki).

Zoro is serious, but not bloodlusted. Who takes it?

Second battle is in One Piece, same equipment and powers. Who takes second one?

Pirate Queen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Guts.... no one could possibly choose Zorp in thos situation lol

It's like putting Zoro up against Zaraki Kenpachi from Bleach lol

Web_Pirate

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Well, i've put each scenario twice, specifically for that reason.

Even still, has nobody else here read berserk aside us two lol?

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, i've put each scenario twice, specifically for that reason.

Even still, has nobody else here read berserk aside us two lol?
Hmmmm, I dont think it's been brought up before... I havent discussed it with anyone. I love berserk.

Sachsenhesse

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I read and love both. Theoretically we could look at the deathbattles Guts vs. Nightmare and Zoro vs. Erza to find some feats and compare them. But those crossover fights are always difficult, as strange as Berserk is, i cant imaging a swordsman there who wields a sword in his mouth.

Web_Pirate

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I give all three to Guts. I think he's a superior swordsman compared to Zoro. He was raised in a mercenary band and saw and fought in wars already at age of 7 to 11.

Strength wise, One Piece is vastly more absurd than Berserk. However, Guts is swinging a sword that easily weights 100 kilos if not more like its nothing. He can cleave plate-armoured men and horses in two as if they wearing a pajama and not armour. He can also destroy stone pillars, columns, walls, break Grunbeld's shield that repells cannonballs and stop his dragon tailnswipe. Add the fact he moves at superhumam speeds while wearing extremely heavy armour, is able to perform acrobatics, and has fast enough reflexes to catch a fast rapier jab with his hand, you get the picture.

Not to underestimate Zoro, but i think he's the underdog here.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Guts...he's Triple OG of All Swordsman, & more.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
However, Guts is swinging a sword that easily weights 100 kilos if not more
Shusui isnt a leightweight either if i remember correctly.

Web_Pirate

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Shusui isnt a leightweight either if i remember correctly.
Its still lightweight in comparison to dragonslayer. Its also probably the only katana that wouldnt shatter on impact with the dragonslayer. Though with haki, it should make things interesting.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Its still lightweight in comparison to dragonslayer. Its also probably the only katana that wouldnt shatter on impact with the dragonslayer. Though with haki, it should make things interesting.
Just featwise... Hachhi wielded 6 200 Kgs Katanas in Arlong Park. And they shattered in the clash with Zoro.(And he used two trash katanas) I need to get into the endgame for berserk (stuck currently at the end from the netflix avaiability). But right now Zoro is too ridiculous, for me to even see problems for him in berserk. Sliced a mountain like bread, killed a dragon on punk hazard etc.

afromarco005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Guts is a trained and seasoned veteran he keept fighting all day long all his life.

He has way more experience on the battlefield than zoro he is way older too.

East blue zoro only has a few years of dojo and gym practice.

Guts wins in every possible scenario.

If guts was in one piece he would be a legend like mihawk, Shanks or Rayleigh for sure Zoro is not there yet.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Guts is too OP with Hype & Fanboism to lose...He's Guts.

East Blue Zoro after a few sword clashes tries to block Golden Age Guts great Sword and gets cut in half.....War Guts is too seasoned & skilled for Zoro here. 1

Post Eclispe Guts in Rage mode vs Ashura Zoro....

Well Zoro did cut a building down vs Oz, Cut the length of Oz body almost, took a lot of blunt damage and continue fighting, & can cut steel.
(Fanboy activate) However!!!@ Guts has been fighting apostles, using tactics & strategy, letting them think they've won only to shortly behead or badly injure them.

So round2; I believe Guts is good enough to protect himself from Zoro, letting Zoro think he's about to win, only to land s critical blow.

R2 fanboyism enters..Guts has above peak human durability & endurance, he's highly intelligent & witty with his fights against much stronger monsters.

R3..Zoro from which era in One Piece is not suggested..So I'll choose PTS Zoro in Dressora.....A good argument can still be made for Guts. But I'm go with Zoro because of his Haki and he's cutting open Demon Sea God size type things already...

Shasha23

Banned
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Even though i love Guts i can only see him taking the first scenario using tactics, but any other version of Guts losses badly.
In the end Zoro is superhuman in all aspects and stronger than anything Guts has ever faced, there is just no way for Guts to bridge the gap in strength with tactics alone.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Guts would kill Zoro honestly as if you seen what he been threw Berserk and powers he gets later, he makes Zoro feel like Guts' baby wannabe honestly.

Last edited:

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Zoro's supernatural ability almost doesn't matter because..Guts fights Supernatural Denons/Monsters & even defeated a God Spirit.

Guts has superhuman durability himself inside of the Beserk Armor. Not to mention Guts speed with the Dragon Sword vs Zodd, earlier arc before his amor. Guts speed also increases with his sword play when he starts spinning around and shit...lmao..

Guts def wins Round 2....Zoro best offensive feat is chopping Buildings..& cutting Oars across his chest...He can cut steel but it wasnt refined enough to cut steel that's has supernatural defenses..i.e Od over the Berserk armour & Dragon Sword

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Arlong Park Zoro gets lowdiffed by Golden Age Guts. Zoro wasn't exactly "weak" by then, he already was superhuman by real world standards, but he was objectively below Guts.

Post Enies Lobby, however, Zoro already has too many overpowered abilities and feats even for a Guts with the Berserk Armor.
Guts may be killing apostles and gods in his verse and is an absolute lovable badass, but I remember even something like stopping a cannonball with one hand made him bleed like crazy from inside the armor, because the armor itself doesn't break but the body inside gets serious damage from blunt hits and the fact that Guts doesn't feel pain is a double edged sword.
Zoro in Thriller Bark was well past a level in which he could have tanked a cannonball without such serious damage as Guts' body got inside the armor, if not just cut it in three pieces in mid air like he effortlessly cut three or four cannonballs in half at the same time already back at Water 7.

No matter how much supernatural strength Guts has, Thriller Bark Zoro has more. Same for resilience and even for swordplay skill. Guts only has two things above him: smarts (which include tricks and his armcannon) and edginess/badassery. Too bad for him fights aren't decided by the quality of the drawings in their mangas.

So to sum it up I only give the first round to Guts. Guts is overpowered and cooler but the Berserk series, no matter how exaggerated it is at times and even though it's a fairytale full of monsters, still has its feet too planted on the ground to compete with the exaggerations of the One Piece world.