Question - Gutts: Strongest human in all of manga? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Gutts: Strongest human in all of manga?

Young Aizen

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Would you say Gutts is the strongest 100% pure human in all of manga?

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Maybe the most realistical strong guy up to when he gets that Armor, even though it's exaggerated many times.

You Say

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Nah, Guts is one of strongest guys around but just try to compare him with Thorkell The Tall (aka Thorkell The Horse Killer). I honestly think that in this fight Thorkell would won. When Guts wouldn't had Berserkers armor to make the fight fair. (Either way, I don't like that piece of armor.)

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Gattsu should be superior in swordsmanship to Thorkell, easily ^^
But probably inferior to him in pure strength, yes.

THM Nindo

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would like to see a fight between Guts and Ken (from Fist of the North star/Hokuto no Ken).

Asahina

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Master Roshi, Krillin, Tien, Yamcha (Dragon Ball Z)
These guys are 100% human. Well, Tien has 3 eyes, so maybe he isn't 100% human...
Krillin, Yamcha & Tien could destroy Guts with their attacks & speed & flight capabilities.
Characters from "History's Strongest Disciple Kenishi" could probably take on Gutts.

The mangas I mentioned are shounen. Gutts is a seinen character. Could he be the strongest in all of seinen manga? Gutts has the potential to become the strongest in all of manga, but with the pace that the mangaka is going by, it is HIGHLY unlikely.

By the time Berserk ends, Gutts won't be human. He'll be a god. Even then, I highly doubt he'll be considered the strongest character in all of manga.

Young Aizen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well should I say human without powers aside from strength..

Forever Rain

Reaction score
Country
United States
A good matchup I always think of when people mention Gutts vs other manga characters is Kenshin. I know you're thinking, Kenshin Himura!? That silly little red haired guy. But truth be told though you have to remember that he can move faster then the speed of sight, so fast even that he can hit five (or was it nine?) spots on a human at the exact moment. He also can swing so fast and hard he can create a vacuum with his sword. His biggest disadvantage is his reverse blade.

I give it to Kenshin against Gutts but with the Berserk armor, Gutts could probably take him.

farkspider

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unicron vs Guts, gogogo

-__________-

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe the most realistical strong guy up to when he gets that Armor, even though it's exaggerated many times.
I don't think there's anything realistic about swinging a iron tree around like it's a toothpick. Guts is impossibly strong.

Not that is a problem. Berserk is a fantasy and not really meant to be real. Instead it's another world.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Guts is not that much broken as other manga/anime characters over the years, his world may fit as having broken creatures like the God Hand, but since he could not beat them, he himself is not that strong, the God Hand are far more hax and stronger than he is. He does bend certain rules of what a realistic fighter holding a sword would do, but he is not that powerful.

Even with the Berserk armor, but sadly that is not Guts doing all the work here, he is mostly human and the armor gives him more of that super power. He was strong before, but the battles took way longer then with the armor.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
Guts is not that much broken as other manga/anime characters over the years, his world may fit as having broken creatures like the God Hand, but since he could not beat them, he himself is not that strong, the God Hand are far more hax and stronger than he is. He does bend certain rules of what a realistic fighter holding a sword would do, but he is not that powerful.

Even with the Berserk armor, but sadly that is not Guts doing all the work here, he is mostly human and the armor gives him more of that super power. He was strong before, but the battles took way longer then with the armor.

Guts is an impossibly strong being in a world of impossibly impossibly strong beings---hence why it is fantasy.

Of course this applies to a LOT of series.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
^

Indeed, that is why he must do everything to surpass even them thus becoming the most powerful one. But in Berserk these things take time, not just with the breaks but generally the story moves slower before these people can be defeated, that is the beauty of it. Guts will use the Berserk armor or other type of magic to become really strong, however his human abilities have been in the shadow for a long time.

lapchern

Reaction score
Country
Albania
hanma yujiro begs to differ

The Red Dog

Reaction score
Country
France
The question is not about strenght itself although swinging the dragon slayer which probably weighs way above 100lbs at such speed & velocity AND with a GRIP really hindered(fake hand) is an incredible feat of strenght

The (unrealistic) thing is that,swinging this big sword so repetitively would demolish elbow & wrist joints of a normal human

Guts as a human is a massive,massive dude,like 190cm tall & a bodyweight @ +/- 90kg(200lbs) with a strenght and stamina like no others.

nerothos

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
it was said that the longbowmen fighting for england during henry the fifths reign were so strong, they could pull a tree out of the ground.
exaggerated of course.

yet the bows salvaged from the boat of henry the eighth needed the power of 900 newtons to be drawn. which is approximately 90 kg. and i imagine, that it would do no good being able to draw the bow only once during the whole battle. now imagine there being a whole unit (or units to be more precise) of these longbowmen. gutts is an exceptionally talented prodigy in terms of both technique and strength/speed. none of those guys i talked about before were heroes with miraculous strength seen once in a lifetime.

allright, that may just be some long forgotten stuff. what about eugen sandow - a man who broke chains wrapped around his chest simply by tensing his muscles?
another guy could change tires on his car just with the power of his hands. and he weighed 64 kg.

over the course of years there were many athletes capable of superhuman feats - greek athletes competing in olympics, spartans, gladiators, and that is just antique greece and rome. many of the people performing in circuses also have strength that would otherwise probably be thought of as impossible or unrealistic. modern gymnasts are also incredibly strong.

the only thing that seems to be way too unrealistic is the thing with his joints. but if the circumstances were right and he was very lucky, he might be able to pull it off. i mean - he was only swinging the sword his whole life. exactly the same way. the joints might have gotten so strong to be able to deal with that kind of strain. he is afterall only 23 or something. he could still get crippled. many athletes eventually end up having wrecked bodies (balet comes to mind as the best example).

my opinion - after incredibly hard training done repeatedly over a very long time period a humans body could get so strong as gutts body was before the armor thingy. the weight of the sword hes swinging all over the place would have to be increased very slightly every time, so that his body could get used to it. the speed of swing - i would rather not discuss it...
so! since i think that himura kenshins speed is unrealistic, and thorkell doesnt seem so strong to me (i would understand if it was the Troll), i would place gutts on top of the strong humans in manga list.

however i dont think its aproppriate to compare the strength of various heroes from various manga worlds...

OH! and ive seen a video of a four year old chinese dude born into o family of circus performers doing pushups while standing on his hands once - complete pushups. since he was holding on some kind of poles, his head was below his hands and that is one hell of a hard thing to do. who knows, maybe he will one day become a modern age gutts :D

Last edited:

Young Aizen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I should have said strongest Non magical human swordsman. That sounds about right.

The Red Dog

Reaction score
Country
France
over the course of years there were many athletes capable of superhuman feats - greek athletes competing in olympics, spartans, gladiators, and that is just antique greece and rome. many of the people performing in circuses also have strength that would otherwise probably be thought of as impossible or unrealistic. modern gymnasts are also incredibly strong.
That's an interesting post,greek athletes first used all sorts of meats then plants(tribulus) to enhance their performance.

Norse Mythology Berserk warriors used magic potions or drugged food to "transform" themselves

the only thing that seems to be way too unrealistic is the thing with his joints. but if the circumstances were right and he was very lucky, he might be able to pull it off. i mean - he was only swinging the sword his whole life. exactly the same way. the joints might have gotten so strong to be able to deal with that kind of strain. he is afterall only 23 or something. he could still get crippled. many athletes eventually end up having wrecked bodies (balet comes to mind as the best example).
Tendons & joints do not get stronger compared to muscles fibers,which when torn off get stronger once repaired,And Guts,more importantly swinged a sword left & right as a little Boy, a Kid's constitution is much more Fragile than a grown up,that's imo what's hard to swallow

Thanks for pointing out that pro sport is'nt healthy!

my opinion - after incredibly hard training done repeatedly over a very long time period a humans body could get so strong as gutts body was before the armor thingy. the weight of the sword hes swinging all over the place would have to be increased very slightly every time, so that his body could get used to it
Well,my take on this is that the human body is'nt really made for strength,after a certain amount of training,injuries inevitably fall upon us,right ? We've all experienced that.

nerothos

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Tendons & joints do not get stronger compared to muscles fibers,which when torn off get stronger once repaired,And Guts,more importantly swinged a sword left & right as a little Boy, a Kid's constitution is much more Fragile than a grown up,that's imo what's hard to swallow
actually they do. not the same way the muscles get stronger though. or i should probably say that they get used to the strain. for example basketball. since i am not used to running because i am lazy piece of **** my ankles might end up being sprained after a short while. and that is running in one direction. in basketball (or tennis) people almost constantly run at top speed, break and then run in the opposite direction, again at top speed. i wouldnt last 5 minutes. tennis players are able to pull that off for 3 hours. couple of times a week. every month. every year. for quite a lot of years. of course - technique is quite important there as well. thats why people have said that nadal would cripple himself eventually with that playstyle of his even before he injured his ankles (? i am not sure if it were the ankles though).

i dont know how exactly does the whole "getting stronger" work from the perspective of medicine, but even with no knowledge on the subject people can observe the results of a training on tendons or joints. i dont know what exactly happens to them (maybe they are better protected?, maybe they get more flexible?), but in the eyes of a layman like me the phrase goes like this: they get stronger. and it is no educated opinion, i know that, but i think that language is here for people to communicate their thoughts and opinions, not to ridicule them or find some mistakes just to undermine them.

one more thing. you sound like a sportsman yourself. or maybe you did some kind of sport back in the day. can you honestly say, that the tendonds and joints dont "evolve" in a way that helps us deal with a bigger load? isnt that what "getting stronger" means? (unless we overload them, naturally :D)

Last edited:

llamapie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
I should have said strongest Non magical human swordsman. That sounds about right.
Ya "normal human" would be better. :P Cuz actual power compared to everyone else no chance. But ya I like Guts because he is natural, no chakra, no reikai, no unrealistic sources of power, just his muscles and and his guts.