Discussion - Hanji Zoe's Gender (Beware of spoilers) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Hanji Zoe's Gender (Beware of spoilers)

Beatrice

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Just gonna quote, goes faster.
The question of Hanji's gender identity has recently become a popular fan theory. This resulted from an exchange between Isayama and a fan, in which the fan stated that they thought Hanji was female but the inconsistent art sometimes made them look "manly". When asked to clarify, Isayama stated "After receiving this question I think it’s better if I don’t say either way."
Actually, the way we have it now ("Female (Anime)") is probably OK: not confusing, but not misleadingly authoritative-sounding. The "interview" isn't really: it all stems from a Q&A session with fans, which can be found archived at http://blog.livedoor.jp/isayamahazime/archives/4388712.html. (the question in, er, question is down towards the end), but it's grown into quite the legend online: if you check http://shingeki-kyojin.com/archives/25745454.html you will see "性別:??" ("Gender: ??") and a bit of Japanese knowledge (or Google Translate) will reveal that the latter portion of the article basically says that most people think Hanji's a woman, but it's not entirely clear. It's also referenced in the Wikipedia article at http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/進撃の巨人 (under "ハンジ・ゾエ"). Now you can find a rather defensive rebuttal of the whole controversy (in English!) at http://papermoon2.tumblr.com/post/49396124889/wow-okay-then-people-are-really-taking-that-out, but I'm disinclined to fully agree with this person based on the fact that "Isayama draws Hanji in her civilian clothes" isn't actually what Isayama did: he was drawing "her" in a fictional reality existing only as a joke. So his original answer might be a troll, or the gag next volume preview might be a troll, or (which is most likely) they are both trolls, and only Isayama knows what Hanji's "true" gender is meant to be. Thus, as far as I'm concerned, the question is still open, and until Isayama makes himself clear (or Hanji changes outfits in the manga) it is premature to commit to a gender for the manga version of the character.
Potential spoilers in here.
http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Hanji_Zoe

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Lol whoever asked Isayama that question, it must have made him more conscious in drawing Hanji ever since XD

Although her speech isn't entirely gender specific, she still sounds like a girl to me at times because of the way she ends her dialogues.

I think the tumblr papermoon2 has got it, the thing with him drawing Hanji in a skirt in the fake preview for Vol. 6 came a few months after the question. If Isayama did intend her to be a boy then I doubt he would knowingly mislead people about 'his' gender (for the first time this issue is referred upon in any SnK medium) even if this were only a fake preview lol.

Whether he pretended that he didn't know about this issue beforehand (before the question) or not, his reply to the question feels like, "Oh haha I didn't know this could be an issue. I'm liking the storm over it and I'll keep it as that"........... lol something like this XP

Regarding her name, at the moment I think it is meant to be Hansi (female) until I come across a better alternative (or Isayama confirms it.)

If this trans issue were an issue to some people (like I read in the talk page) then all I could say is, Hanji believes herself to be a female and that's that lol.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
She is obviously female.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yup. As I read, it even sounded to me like the question asker was just being a bit of a jerk. I read every chapter and it never occurred to me, but more importantly it's completely irrelevant to the story. Especially considering Isayama's obviously evolving drawing style, and his impressive cast of female characters (that don't easily fall into the same stereotypes you always see). Kishimoto maybe would be a candidate for this kind of scrutiny, but not Isayama.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Was re-watching epic Levi and Hanji action when I saw this. Can't believe it has come to this, but the question of the century is now solved.

Fayte

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't understand why people are confused by this. Even when she was first introduced in the manga, I never questioned her being anything other than a female tomboy. Even her compassion philosophy to "understand" the titans rather than kill them is feminine in nature, not to mention her name is very likely correctly translated "Angie." There is really no evidence to conclude she is male, because even her character design is female.

Grungie

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I don't understand why people are confused by this.
Well, people are dumb :XD When I found out that some people seriously were not sure about her gender I was like WTF?! She's decisively female and now we've got a proof. ;p

Bandreus

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
It's not really that people are confused by the character herself, but rather it was Isayama's non-replay to a fan's question which sprung all the madness. Otherwise people never freaked out this much about cross-gender or the like before that.

Sarahmint

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hanji is all female. How is she a tomboy? She is an anthropologist, is feminine, treats titans like her children (motherly nurturing instinct) and basically studies them from the female type brain (emotion and language training). I just don't get how someone can suggest she is a boy. Tomboy? How about every other female squad member doing athletics in the trees (which sucks to be called male as if girls just sit on the ground all day).

What is this, Naruto with Haku and Deidera gender confusion?

AlphaFox

Reaction score
Country
United States
But Zoe here is her last name, and last names can be anything.
http://www.yeahbaby.com/names-list.php?page=181
I may be wrong, but they call her by Hanje, not Zoe, more frequently. Also, isn't it common for people in Japan, or Asia for that matter, to call people by their last name more than their first name? So Hanje might be her last name. Just a thought. I know that in the anime/manga there are no Asians left except for Mikasa, so that might disprove this "theory", but it would make sense considering this is a Japanese anime/manga. I just stumbled upon this discussion while looking at SNK pictures and thought that this might make sense.

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello, I wanted to ask you guys a question about Attack on Titan... Did you confirm the characters' genders with Isayama? For example, did you confirm with him that Hange is a woman? Or was it assumed? And do you usually confirm this kind of stuff with the authors? (sorry if someone has already asked this)

Isayama has confirmed that… we’re not allowed to confirm Hange’s gender. He has instructed us to avoid gendered pronouns when referring to Hange, or at least to use he AND she with equal frequency.
Official Kodansha Tumblr.
http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/po...anted-to-ask-you-guys-a-question-about-attack

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think he wants all characters' genders left up to reader interpretation, as he says in his blog comments regarding one of numerous such questions about Nanaba (who has been much more asked about in Japan anyway):

Hajime Isayama (on his blog said:
"I’m not interested in strict delineation of character sex distinctions, so I think varied reader interpretations are fine. Why not the view that Armin is a girl, for example?"
キャラの性別なんですが個人的に血液型ぐらい区別しなくても
どうでもいいものだと思ってます、
なので読み方それぞれで性別を決めちゃっていいと思いますよ
アルミンとかも女でいけんじゃないすかね
http://blog.livedoor.jp/isayamahazime/archives/7610143.html

Soradame

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hanji is actually only depicted as female in the anime.

In the manga, Hanji is non-binary; meaning Hanji is not assigned a gender role. This is the same as someone identifying as cis-female/cis-male (identifying as your biological sex), transgender (identifying as your non-biological sex), and gender-fluid (identifying as both genders; some days male, some days female). Hanji being non-binary means they identify as neither. At least, as far as we know; because the author has left their gender/sex open to interpretation.

Hajime Isayama has not tacked a gender or sex on them, and translators of the manga have been instructed not to do so as well.
So, if you want to be correct about it, you should be addressing Hanji with gender-neutral pronouns like they/them.

nesean

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, if you want to be correct about it, you should be addressing Hanji with gender-neutral pronouns like they/them.
An even better way would be to just use "Hanji" or whatever the spelling of the name one's using. No need for pronouns troubles at all. :)

PIXISSUUU

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Anyone else think Hanji looked particularly un-curvaceous in the panel where she and Levi are prepping to torture Sanes?

I'm a fan of eccentric girls, but now I'm feeling all confused, lol. :blink:blink

cerise

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
In the manga, Hanji is non-binary; meaning Hanji is not assigned a gender role. [...]

Hajime Isayama has not tacked a gender or sex on them, and translators of the manga have been instructed not to do so as well.
I just want to clarify: non-binary is different from unidentified gender, which is how Hanji is described both by Isayama and the Kodansha staff. Being non-binary would mean that Hanji does not identify as either of the two generally accepted binaries (male/female) but the mangaka asked the English Kodansha staff either to not assign Hanji gendered pronouns or to assign gendered pronouns in equal measure. "He" and "She" can both be used to identify Hanji, as long as both of those pronouns are used with the same frequency. That's pretty much in contradiction to what a non-binary is.

Hanji falls more on gender-fluid than non-binary. People calling Hanji "him" or "her" isn't wrong at all.

Anonymis

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I'm confused. But I like them as a "her" and "him" all the same!!!

(more as "him" sometimes! kukuku)

KaiserSenpai420

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just love calling that woman Annie's mom, I think her name is Rommza? Something of the sort, she said not she/her once - but twice.

That has never happened in the manga. If this is just a fan translation misunderstanding I feel very misleading lol.