Archived - Happy Chinese New Year!! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Archived Happy Chinese New Year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's Chinese New Year again!!! Every Chinese around the world will be celebrating this auspicious celebration, also known as Lunar New Year. For your information, this is the year of boar. (There are 12 years of animals all together) I do not know how many of you are celebrating Chinese New Year, but do share with us the celebration of this occasion in various part of the world. Even now, I can see fireworks outside my house. Everyone is ready for the big day. How about you and your part of the world? Any huge parades? Celebrations? Wishes? Come and share here.

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Nope. Nowhere to be seen something like that. Maybe in the capital, Warsaw, but this would be a really small group of people I think.. So in Poland I think there is nowhere to be seen such celebrations due to Chinese New Year.
But ths for the info about what animal is now of the year :D

Umbra037

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! I'm Chinese and I will be celebrating the rest of the day w/ family and friends.

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Ah yesh... Although I'm not celebrating it. But Happy Chinese New Year to all who do celebrate it. And may all of you have prosperity for times ahead :)

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
ein-chan, just out of curiosity, what do all the animals represent/what's their purpose as far as the New Year?

~Lilium~

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
British Antarctic Territory
I miss the days when i was back when i celebrated chinese new year. those dragons used to scare me!

Babii-Boo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yay70 said:
I miss the days when i was back when i celebrated chinese new year. those dragons used to scare me!
Hahaha XD I hope you don't mean the lion dance:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Lucky_Wun/DragonStyle.jpg

That's my groupie ^_^ We were perfoming in ChinaTown yesterday. It's called the Lung Ying - Dragon Style Kung Fu XD

Of course... Girl's arent allowed to perform... So all I did was 'walk' with the group and give them my support >_<

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
LadyHatake said:
ein-chan, just out of curiosity, what do all the animals represent/what's their purpose as far as the New Year?
Those animals have their own background. According to a legend, the God asked all these animals to race across a bridge or something and the ox arrived first. However, little did the ox know that the rat was riding on him all the time. So, the rat jumped down and when the God saw it, he saw that the rat was the champion. The boar came last because it was the laziest animal in the kingdom. Thus, we have what we call now the 12 animal zodiac:

rat
ox
tiger
rabbit
dragon
snake
horse
sheep
monkey
rooster
dog
boar

For more accurate info, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_the_Chinese_Zodiac

People who are born in these animals' years are said to carry some kind of similar traits. For example, those born in the tiger years are natural leaders, or sort. Then again, every animals is divided into 5 elements, namely wood, fire, earth, metal, water. So there will be something like :

wood tiger
fire tiger
earth tiger
metal tiger
water tiger

Different elements have different characteristics too. :D One more thing, Chinese will normally look at someone's zodiac to see if the person is compatible with the partner. I.E, ox is not compatible with dragon while rat is a very good match for dragon. Hence, the dragon should marry the rat, not the ox even if the ox person is a multimillionaire. XDDDDDDD Of course, a dragon doesn't simply marry a rat just because they are compatible. They still need to match the element. Lets say the rat is fire element while the dragon is water element. Then, the water will put off the fire easily. Thus, dragon should either look for metal(metal melted and become water) or wood(water grows tree) to be really compatible.

Uhmm...those are just traditions. :s I bet people nowadays don't really care about it. I just study it for fun. XDDDDDDDD

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm a Metal Monkey. Woo!

Happy Chinese New Year to everybody that celebrates it :)

delapaz13

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
I'm a fire rabbit... it says Im very lucky this year!!!! (i live in the philippines and we celebrate Chinese new year here especially in china town)we have the usual dragon dances,lion dances, parades and fireworks to ward off evil spirits and bad karma.

Status
Not open for further replies.