Archived - have you ever lost someone important to you? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Archived have you ever lost someone important to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daigakusei

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a college student conducting research for a class. I am studying how the death of a friend or relative effects a person’s religious beliefs. Please if you would be so kinds as to answer these questions and elaborate as much as you wish to. If you would care to tell it, I would like to hear your personal stories. Any information you give me shall remain confidential, the only person who shall see this research is my professor.

• How religious would you say you are?

• What religion do you follow?

• How strictly do you follow this religion’s beliefs?

• How does your religion perceive death?

• Does our religion believe in life after death?

• Do you believe in life after death?

• Has the death of your loved one changed or strengthened any of your beliefs about the afterlife?

• If so, then how did your beliefs change?

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not religious so this might not help as much, but here goes. Although in my childhood I was brought a Christian.

1. N/A.
  2. N/A. Formerly Christian.
  3. N/A.
  4. N/A.
  5. Well, most religions have a similar beliefs in life after death. However in the Christian religion, there is a belief in being sent to either Hell or Heaven.
  6. N/A.
  7. N/A.
  8. N/A.

Well hope that helps a little... :)

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
1. Absolutely not
2. Confirmed protestant, but that was just because little children don't defend themselves against such stuff °_°
3. I only follow my own logics and ethics, nothing religious to be found there
4. -
5. -
6. No
7. I thought about briefly it two times when relatives died, but ultimately nothing changed.
8. -

Nothing worth to be hidden, I guess my experiences in these terms are kinda average. Overall I realised the deaths of three relatives of my relatively big family on my mother's side, each time I regretted that I didn't got to know that person better, each time I briefly thought about what would happen to them after death. But those weren't serious thoughts, it seems to me that was rather a reflex on the grief at a funeral.

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
How religious would you say you are?
You should have placed a poll or a rank in here so that it would be easy for respondents to rate themselves. Anyway, in a scale of one to five, I'd say I fall at 4.

What religion do you follow?
Roman Catholic.

How strictly do you follow this religion’s beliefs?
In a scale of one to five, I will also fall at 4. But sometimes, I get to be very lazy to attend the holy mass every Sunday.

How does your religion perceive death? For Roman Catholics, we perceive the living human form merely as a shell for one's soul. We believe that death here on earth is only a physical death. Depending on how you lived your life here on earth, St. Peter will deem your soul to be:
1.) worthy of heaven if you lived you life depending on the laws of the church and goodness
2.) purged in hell where spiritual death will incur if you failed to confess before you physically died, or committed mortal sins without confession; or
3.) lost in purgatory where souls of the unbaptized float. Praying the rosary often slowly lifts the souls in purgatory to heaven. It is believed that Mary will vouch those souls and grant them permission secretly to enter heaven. After all, Mary is the only woman whom Jesus cannot disobey.

Does your religion believe in life after death? Yes. Eternal life after death is only obtained in heaven. Hell is where souls of the damned are either burned or purged. I recommend you read Dante's Divide Comedy. It shows the concepts of heaven and hell of the Roman Catholic Church.

Do you believe in life after death? Yes. That is why we must live our life to the fullest by being good to others.

Has the death of your loved one changed or strengthened any of your beliefs about the afterlife? If you are talking about ghosts, then no is my answer. My late godmother who was very close to us did not believe in ghosts when she died. Thus, we do not feel her presence in our house. We know she will never try to haunt us because she herself did not believe in ghosts.

If so, then how did your beliefs change? I answered no, therefore I am not obliged to answer this one.

I hope I was able to help. Well, good luck on your studies!

Last edited:

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
How religious would you say you are?
I truly dont know, i try my best to be a pious one, but i have my shortcomings.
What religion do you follow?
Islam
How strictly do you follow this religion’s beliefs?
like i said i have my shortcomings like i am 21 and a chaste and i try to catch 5 daily prayers but alyas miss the morning one, trying to fix that bad habit
How does your religion perceive death?
end of life/ examination
Does our religion believe in life after death?
not if you mean sprit haunting the earth, but we do believe in day of recompense
Do you believe in life after death?
yes
Has the death of your loved one changed or strengthened any of your beliefs about the afterlife?
well my grandmother died few yrs back she was the closest one to me after my parents, but no i was kind a believer in the issue of life after death so....
If so, then how did your beliefs change?
answered

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
@shaheer (sorry, off-topic)
I read your post and I'm quite envious/admired on how you try to be a pious one. You say you pray four out of five times a days whereas I even forget to pray just one single prayer for the entire day!

If you ask me how many times I pray for the entire week, I only pray six times a week.
Sunday: Mass
Monday - Friday: Opening prayer in the school where I teach.

I really admire people who are so dedicated to their religion. Keep it up.

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
well i was kind of in a hurry yesterday so i couldnt answer the question of how Islam perceive life after death,
well basically Islam is based on 5 pillars
1) faith
2) establishing 5 daily prayers at designated time
3)fasting in the holy month
4)giving a certain portion of your wealth to the needy and poor(if the giver has a certain amont of wealth of his own, this giving is not to be confused with charity)
5) pilgrimage (Hajj)

the faith is divided on 6 basics
believe in one absolute God
believe in Angles
Believe in the revealed books
believe in Prophets (Muhammed Jesus Moses David Abraham..(pbuh))
BELIEVE IN HEREAFTER
and believe in Gods knowledge of the future

so as you can see if you don believe in day of recompense, you cant be a muslim/ follow islam

Islams Holy Book is Holy Quran, so its best if i quote it
Chapter 99

6 That Day mankind will proceed in scattered groups that they may be shown their deeds.
7 So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an atom , shall see it.
8 And whosoever does evil equal to the weight of an atom , shall see it.

I read your post and I'm quite envious/admired on how you try to be a pious one. You say you pray four out of five times a days whereas I even forget to pray just one single prayer for the entire day!
please dun be, you do a lot of great work i am sure that i dont.
as for 5 daily prayers , thats obligatory for the muslims, we need to do ablution and then pray,(in a series of postures including touching forehead adn nose tip and our palm and knees to the ground, its obligatory so i am not doing anything great, rather as i miss one regularly thats a bad habit, i dont think in christianity you have obligatory prayers so i am sure you are doing your part fine :))

Ochiru

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Finland
• I am rather religious

• Christianity

• Very strickly all the basic stuff but its not like Im caring about every single detail

• Well you just die and then you are judged if you go to heaven or hell?

• Yeah heaven wonderful place,hell suffer there all you want for eternity

• Yes I do

• For me it has changed a lot

• Well it has taught me to live my life to fullest so I have no regrets when I die and that I cant let myself lose another one close to me because some disgusting piece of garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.