Discussion - Healthy Diet Diary | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Healthy Diet Diary

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed that this section lacked any thread that focused on nutrition and promoting a healthy diet. So, I thought that everyone could use this thread to discuss the calories and nutritious foods they are eating. This way, we could all help one another maintain a healthy diet. Suggestions for nutritious foods to eat are also welcome! :tem

Healthier you is a happier you, and it is much easier to stay happy and healthy with communal accountability! :cheerbunny

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Healthy stuff huh? :P
Well to start off with something weird that's brought up more and more in media here lately, fruit juices - the healthy, natural alternative to lemonade - actually contains just as much calories. The diffrence may be that the sort of sugar is a diffrent one, but it makes you fat just the same.

The only healthy alternative seems to be water, carbonated or not and lots of it at that. Probably diluting the juice with water would help too since it would make a glass of non alcohollic spritzer (Schorle in german) about half of the calories :thumb

Dunno if that's a german phenomenon that juice is generally thought more healthy? what's it like in other parts of the world?

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I think that first of all people should eat less out, and cook more at home. That's one way to eat healthier meals, even if they contain meat, potato and other stuff that has lots of calories. Home cooking filters out the poison that is in fast-foods and cheap restaurants...

I dunno much about the advised calory amount for a day or anything like that, but I know that, just by eating one can only get fatter...of course one can go on a diet and then get slimmer, but it doesn't repair the issue...

Eat meat, vegetables, snails...but there's something called sports and exercise, which will allow everyone to eat the things they like the most

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Eating out surely is one source of unhealthy food, but there is also non-fastfood restaurants out there, so it ultimately depends on what you choose there.
Conversely, eating at home isn't bound to be healthy either - there's lots of 'fast'food for home like convenience food, instant meal and tinned food etc. so there it ultimately depends on how much time you have - or rather take for yourself - to prepare your food.

But yh, generally carbohydrates (sugar!) and fat are seen as the unhealthy combination. It's not like you can't eat it at all if you want to live healthy, just not every day and not in masses ^^'

DLord.Van.Buuren

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Woohooo, I might know a little bit about this..

I wanted to point out the fact that there is a diffrence between healthy eating and diet.Not everyone has to diet because not everyone is fat, healthy eating is something that should be integrated in our life style regardless of how we are.

There is also the issue of how we eat our food, I mean you could eat of everything and still be healthy and there are a lot of ways to do it, you can for exampe count your calories, use smaller plates, manage your meal times in a smart way that won't make you starve or be full.

The issue of controlling your cravings is also a big player in this case, most people get fat because they overeat and that's duh!

Along with diet there is work out which is the only way you can keep in shape.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Oh funny, I started losing weigth in the beginning of January. I pretty much thought "Cmon, I'm easily eating more than I need, I'll just cut it down".
Between 28th of december and 30th of january I reduced my weigth from 79,5kg to 71,0kg this way, without restricting myself too much. It's not like I was hungry all day for this purpose.

Typical day for me currently: Getting up at 4:50am, breakfast. Working from 6:00 to 14:00, eating a banana during break, then getting home to eat lunch. That's enough food for a day usually. Last year there also was a dinner and I ate more during breakfast and lunch.
Actually it's much easier for me to cut weigth while I'm not working. I don't need a breakfast then, which is pretty important, because the amount of breakfast doesn't influence the appetite of afternoon.

Usually I just drink a cocoa for breakfast. Obviously it's not a spare choice in regards of calories, but I feel better that way. I never was good with breakfast so I don't like actually eating something, and this gives some energy after all. The choice of banana for break was on purpose, even if it has much more calories than other fruit. But working sucks without enough energy.
I don't really bother what exactly I eat for lunch, in the end I only try to limit the amount (I like the taste of good food so I often ate more than necessary before).

I was kind of surprised how easy it was to lose weigth. I guess I have a suitable nature for it, I think my energy expenditure is quite fine.
The reason for me to do so was sports. Be it bicycling, running or skiing, it's all much easier with lower body fat percentage.
Overall goal is to cut weight down to 65kg. I thought that would be unrealistic in the beginning but now it's not that far away anymore. It was rather a random guess to begin with, but considering my size (1m75) and muscle structure I came to the conclusion that it's probably a good aim.

About the general topic of healthy nutrition:
Science seems confused about it, and I think there are so many aspects to it... For example, I actually do imagine that a nutrition almost exlusively based on meat can work. From a evolutionist standpoint, it would be stupid if it wouldn't, or? My personal guess is that human digestion would be able to adapt to such a way of living and that it's rather the bad ratio of different food which makes this adaption impossible.
However, eating that much meat doesn't sound tasty to me. I guess it's better to stick to the carbohydrates and cut down on meat to a low amount for that reason.
I also believe that some (not all, but you'll know who I mean) people totally overrate the topic and rather should care for more sports and building muscles/stamina instead.

A blind guess on "yo-yo effect": Losing weigth also means loosing muscle mass (Iirc the amount of muscle mass lost is a significant % of the overall weigth loss), so if unathletic people just cut down on foot they'll even reduce their energy consumption by reducing muscles. Rather they should start with disciplined sports first and only start eating less after training stamina and power.

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Apparently an American woman discovered recently that Nutella is not healthy food......

Joke aside, industrial plates are not as good as homemade cooking principaly because they are way to salty. Too much salt cause hypertension and should be avoided

Then there is also the question of organic food. Studies tends to show that bio food is not really better for health than non bio so I guess organic food arguments are more environmental than health

Last edited:

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
One thing that I like to consume regularly to make sure that I get a lot of nutrients is a smoothie. I try to have a fruit smoothie on average once a day.

I typically slice up or simply input several fresh fruits (e.g., apples, oranges, Asian pears, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries), add some fiber powder (and sometimes other powder nutritional supplements if I have them) and some fruit juices, and make a batch of smoothies. Typically, each batch makes about 3 cups.

With just one cup, I know that in addition to a tasty beverage I am satisfying many of my daily nutritional needs.

Actually, just as a general tip, a blender/juicer/mixer is a great appliance to have for creating delicious treats by combining various foods. You can mix healthy foods like veggies and fruits with foods whose taste you enjoy to improve your diet.

Plus, it is easier to digest, I find, food in a liquid form. I made an all-apple smoothie using five apples, some cinnamon apple sauce, and apple juice and drank the whole batch of smoothies within two days. I don't think I could have stomached eating that many apples in two days if not in that form. :XD

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Recent studies once again seem to conclude that mediterranean, especially greek food, are good for your health and may even turn back negative effects if I understood this article right (here something similar in german).

This seems similar to traditionally japanese cuisine for a quite some part imo - lots of fish and vegetables, with a diffrence in two things: greek didn't have tofu and japanese no olives (and wine). quite interesting since I can't think of any substitutes for the latter atm - what's used for oil there again?

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I don't think they use that much oil in japanese cuisine. The main condiments are the soja sauce shoju and the sort of sake Mirin

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think they use that much oil in japanese cuisine. The main condiments are the soja sauce shoju and the sort of sake Mirin
Tempura: deep fried battered seafood and vegetables. I love them. :D

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Last week I was on finals and I had 4 Jimmy Johns sandwiches, I dominos pizza and chicken wings (5.99 each anyone?), and then on the last day on school I cooked everything I had since I had to get rid of it anyways (I could not get myself to cook while on finals). In the end I had a 1 foot tall stack of pancakes, more spaguetti than what I could possible eat, french fries and baked potatoes (made from scratch pretty much). Worst week that my body ever went through. Final exams and projects really are a health Hazzard lol.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
There is a simple rule on healthy diet

on breakfast eat like a king (it means eat alot )100%

on Lunch eat like a Queen (it means eat 1/2 of what you eat on breakfast) 50%

on dinner eat like a princess (it means eat small portion) 25%

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
What would you suggest to someone who eats brunch?

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
on dinner eat like a princess (it means eat small portion) 25%
I know that rule, but actually I don't think it means a lot. Depending on how active one is during the day, it can even be bad. Simply because breakfast does not influence the appetite one has in the afternoon.

This means that the easiest way to safe calories is by cutting down breakfast, while it's always better to not eat much before going to sleep. So with a low calory consumption I think it's better to eat most for lunch and less for breakfast and dinner.
Obviously this does not apply to a day spend for sports or other physical activity. I think a good breakfast is best for those.

Oh btw I saw that my last post here has been some time. My weight is between 64-65kg, stable. Consumption went up, even though I currently don't find much time to do sports sadly.

Last edited:

lunacat

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Algeria
it's great to have such a healthy thread in a gourmet world (that's the cooking forum lol)

there's only one thing i need to emphasize on which is "industrial food" no matter how healthy is seems or what the label says, it can never be even close to natural food or home cooked food. i'll tell you why, when you cook something at home,and you leave it for a couple of days in the fridge, it goes bad, but industrial food is meant to stay for a very long period of time, how? because there are tons of additives (colorants, antioxidants, artifitial stuff... lots and lots) and all these elements could affect the nutritional value of the food itself. you can't say oily stuff are bad because our body needs some oil, or that potato is bad because it depends on the way you eat it.
so in general, you gotta eat with moderation.

Conner89

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, you stated something different but I'm really concerned about your views regarding breakfast. A research work
tells that breakfast has significance on appetite for the whole day and people who do their breakfast are comparatively
more intelligent than those who don't eat.
Hope you've got the idea.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Anyone knows anything about whey protein? I read online that it is a pretty good source of pure protein but I am also torn because of the many sights that do say it can be bad for you. I don't know which to trust....

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I made my own healthy ways of diet haha
・drink water before eating
・drink/eat while sitting. don't drink/eat while standing
・eat three times a day with smaller portion (6.00, 12.00, 18.00)
・snack between the intervals above
・avoid foods that contain saturated fat
・don't skip meals
・don't eat at late nights
・eat different foods every day if you can
・fast

Have acid reflux so I have to keep an eye on my diet :worrybunny

biancavox

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Keep more fruits, low-fat dairy products (low-fat milk and low-fat yogurt), vegetables, and whole-grain foods at home and at work. Focus on adding healthy food to your diet, rather than just taking unhealthy foods away. Try to eat a family meal every day at the kitchen or dining table.