Question - Help ID’ing Allen Quote | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Help ID’ing Allen Quote

Chloesong

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I’ve just spend hours trying to figure out which chapter/episode the following quote from Allen comes from. It’s widely attributed to him in wikis, tumblrs, good reads, etc, but I can’t figure out where it’s from even after scouring the manga. Any help is sincerely appreciated!!

“No matter what I attempt, even if it's the most simple of tasks, it always ends in failure. Unfortunately, I find that my life is one big regret after another. Yet, after all these years, I still don't know when to give up. Is it my fault to keep trying when the results are always the same? Is it impossible for me to make things right? Even if I'd try to give up, I don't think I could. It's not in my nature to submit in the face of disappointment. In the end, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. I really am an idiot.”

NonExisted

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Hi everyone! I’ve just spend hours trying to figure out which chapter/episode the following quote from Allen comes from. It’s widely attributed to him in wikis, tumblrs, good reads, etc, but I can’t figure out where it’s from even after scouring the manga. Any help is sincerely appreciated!!

“No matter what I attempt, even if it's the most simple of tasks, it always ends in failure. Unfortunately, I find that my life is one big regret after another. Yet, after all these years, I still don't know when to give up. Is it my fault to keep trying when the results are always the same? Is it impossible for me to make things right? Even if I'd try to give up, I don't think I could. It's not in my nature to submit in the face of disappointment. In the end, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. I really am an idiot.”
...It's Miranda's from the rewinding town arc
I don't know why it's listed as something from Allen, but it's Miranda's

Chloesong

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply! I looked up the Rewinding arc and found that Ch. 24, pg 1-2 as well as episode 11 of Season one has a very similar, but shorter and not-quite-the-same dialouge. Ch. 24 Edited Manga by Yanime; trans by Ayume:

“The reason that I’m not good

Even though I can’t do it well, I will attempt it anyways.

Even though I decided not to try anymore, I regret it and end up trying again. After all, I can’t do anything right.

It’s better if I don’t try at all.

I’m an idiot, aren’t I.”

This is so similar to the widely-circulating quote attributed to Allen. Where did the original come from? “Glutton for punishment” “it’s not in my nature to submit” seems more than just the aftermath of an embellishing translation.

Gah. Maybe two quotes were combined and the fusion somehow became common-place on the internet?