Help needed for translation | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Help needed for translation

kohaku

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
I've taken a few japanese classes but my skills remain quite low, especially when it comes to the level of japanese used in manga. I don't understand most of the kanjis but this is something that I can search, the real problem for me is to understand how the sentence is constructed and why some verbs end up the way they end.

So I'd like to ask tranlators here for help to understand some chosen examples.

I can't offer much in exchange, I'm french so I could help you understanding french.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
maybe you should say what you need help with first.

kohaku

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
My first example is :
戻って来れねえかもしれねえんだぜツ

There are the ideas of coming back & maybe but I don't understand the whole sense.

Thanks in advance.

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
"He/She/It might not be coming back."

戻って来る = to come back (as in, someone's left and they will come back or return. see 行って来ます)

The sentence in slightly more polite Japanese:

戻って来ないかもしれませんよ。

kohaku

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Thanks for the translation.

I'm getting a hard time with the juxtaposition of verbs, what does kuru really add to modoru, can modoru work without kuru? same thing for kamoshirenee and daze?

Shirenee is that a spoken transcription of shirenai? and does the n only serve to link the verb to daze?

Thanks again

lee-nus

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
kohaku said:
Thanks for the translation.

I'm getting a hard time with the juxtaposition of verbs, what does kuru really add to modoru, can modoru work without kuru? same thing for kamoshirenee and daze?

Shirenee is that a spoken transcription of shirenai? and does the n only serve to link the verb to daze?

Thanks again
戻ってくる literally has the meaning of 'return and come back' whereas 戻る simply means return. im not sure how to explain this in other ways... maybe someone can help out?

しれねー is more informal and , just as you mentioned, a transcription of the spoken しれない.
im not sure what you were talking about with the n linking to the verb, but the ~んだ/~んです has the meaning of offering what your saying as an explanation (as opposed to a report/statement).

hope that made sense... shame on me otherwise!

kohaku

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Clearer now. Thanks to both of you.

If I continue on the same manga page, this is dragon head and volume 7, chapter 68 no real spoiler but I only post the shortcut of the page if you don't wanna see it.

http://www.hiboox.com/images/3106/blazrzv.jpg

Then I'll hide the discussion just in case :

Here's what I understand :

What? Are you insane?
You're saying you want to fly through that black cloud?

That's it...
It's a suicide!!

Maybe not...XXX
We might not be coming back!

For the XXX part :
I've searched the kanji groups (1st one is "~equipped with", 2nd one "~system to exhaust fumes", 3rd one I didn't find the sense).
He's probably saying they can make it because there is a system to exhaust fumes on the helicopter and that they can add filters manually but really the construction of the sentence makes it very difficult to understand.

So if you could help me understading the sentence word by word that would be much appreciated.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Since this kind of discussion would benefit from being placed in the Translators' HQ instead of Translator Requests forum, I've made kohaku a Translator and moved the thread over here.

Also, kohaku, just use spoiler tags: type these:

Code:
[spoiler] & [/spoiler]

pocketmofo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's translate the page and see what we come up with (I don't really read the series so I don't know if they both end up trying to ride the helicopter or if it's just the one person):

Panel 1:

1) なんだと!?コノヤロー、正気か!?
1) What did you just say!? Are you fucking crazy!?

1)あの黒雲の中を飛んでくだと!?
1)You're telling me that you're/we're gonna fly through those black clouds!?

Panel 2:

2) 。。。そうだ。
2)...Yes.

1)自殺行為だ!!
1) That'd be suicide!! (*or That's suicidal!!)

Panel 3:

2)かもしれないな。。。だがそのためにヘリは整備しなおしたし、吸気系も手を入れてフィルターを増やした応急処置だが。。。
2)Probably...but that's why I/we fixed the helicopter. I also fiddled with the air intakes and did some jury-rigging by adding extra filters so...

1)戻って来れねぇかもしれねえんだぜ!!
1)You/we might not come back you know!! (*more literally, you/we might not be able to come back)

In that last long sentence, here are definitions for the words he is using:

応急処置 = temporary treatment, first-aid, or jury-rigging

吸気系 = The stuff related to air intakes, the air intake system

手を入れる = Literally to stick your hands in something, in this case it means to tinker with or fiddle with.

kohaku

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Thanks gold night for making me a translator. I currently translate manga from french to english but doing so results in a poor man's translation, not that bad but not that good either as some sense can be lost. So I'd like to be able to translate directly from japanese to french or english. For short sentences it seems that my translations are not far from what more skilled translators would end up with, but once the sentence complicates I'm lost! :)

Pocketmofo, thanks for the translation. Can I ask you some more explanations?
だがそのためにヘリは整備しなおしたし
What is exactly daga (is that desu + ga or probably something else as it seems to mean but and so later on)?
+ I don't understand しなおした

pocketmofo

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
That だが at the beginning of that sentence basically means "...but/however."

As for しなおす (し直す) it means to redo something (as in they tried to do maintenance or do re-maintenance on the helicopter). Take for instance a word like 建て直す where it means to rebuild (a house, society, etc.).

kohaku

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Thanks a lot pocketmofo, I'll write that down.