Help needed! Yamato's 仕込んでおいた line in 298 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Help needed! Yamato's 仕込んでおいた line in 298

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hello everyone.

One of the reasons we have this forum's so we can get a second opinion on troublesome lines and such. Well, I've got one here for y'all: Yamato's shikondeoita line (the first line, actually) in chapter 298.

Ahem... I reproduce:

分身ヤマト「アイツには一応温泉地で仕込んでおいたけどな。。。」

Followed by...

分身ヤマト「まあいいか
このままで追ってやる」

分身ヤマト「こう見えても追跡は得意な方でね」

Here's the thing: I'm pretty sure most translations up until now have not gotten that particular line just right, but I don't feel I'm getting it right either. So I wanted to see if anyone could come up with anything better.

This is the translation I've been mulling until now:

分身ヤマト「アイツには一応温泉地で仕込んでおいたけどな。。。」

Yamato: And I’d taken care to hide it in there at the Hot Springs, just in case...

Yeah - not too hot, is it. I consulted on the line with my Japanese teacher, but it's not like she knew follows the manga or like I could show her the entire chapter.

Conclusions:

"Aitsu" is either Sai or something of Sai's. (Aitsu ni wa)
The one who did the action is Yamato - definitely not Sai.
Whatever Yamato did, he did so at the hot springs (onsen chi de)
And whatever he did, he did in an offhand manner as a precaution (ichioo, -deoita).

The problem is that the verb shikomu has no object, and in English we're in dire need of an object. Thus, the question is, WHAT!

Sensei's conjecture: he’s talking about a tracking device or something he put on Sai. More specifically, her guess is (and I find it reasonable) that Yamato put a tracking device in Sai’s things. However, since Sai dropped his things, Yamato’s no longer able to use it to track him. Thus, the following sentence.

分身ヤマト「まあいいか
このままで追ってやる」

Yamato: Well, whatever! I'll just follow them as-is*.

Thus, as-is would mean “without a tracking device”, assuming Sensei and I are correct.

Finally, there's this line, which I saw a lot of mistakes on:

分身ヤマト「こう見えても追跡は得意な方でね」

It's also pretty difficult, but basically he's saying he's good at trailing/pursuing.

"Truth be told, I'm more capable at trailing than not."

The reason I'm using "trailing" instead of pursuit is simply that it seems to me they're beyond his visual range, so he has to figure out more or less where they're going as he moves along. Ultimately, it might just be a matter of preference.

Anyway, remarks on this last line where merely informative; the question is how to translate the first line in the chapter.

では、よろしく頼んだぜ。

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I believe Yamato meant Sai hid his thing for Oro when he was at the hot springs, so Yamato did not find it:

Iwanin said:
Yamato: And I'd taken care to hide it in there at the Hot Springs, just in case...
Yamato: And he'd taken care to hide it there at the Hot Springs ( when we where at the Hot Springs ), just in case...

?!?

( don't know japanese, but that sounds logical... )

Iwanin

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Khaludh said:
I believe Yamato meant Sai hid his thing for Oro when he was at the hot springs, so Yamato did not find it:

Yamato: And he'd taken care to hide it there at the Hot Springs ( when we where at the Hot Springs ), just in case...

?!?

( don't know japanese, but that sounds logical... ) 
Nope, it's definitely Yamato who did the hiding/implanting whatever. This much is certain.

Nihongaeri

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I noticed the translations problems for that line also...

My thinking...

アイツ in terms of its anaphoric relationship is just Sai himself (although, technically speaking, contextually it's obviously Sai's belongings).

A tracking device of some kind seems most likely as far as an object for 仕込む-ing.

My suggestion...

Don't get too hung up on the technical, literal meaning when translating and just change the phrasing to something that contextually fits, still more or less means the same thing, and allows for the same degree of vagueness. In other words, do something like turning it into Yamato saying something along the lines of having "taken precautions" with Sai's luggage.

Iwanin

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Nihongaeri said:
Don't get too hung up on the technical, literal meaning when translating and just change the phrasing to something that contextually fits, still more or less means the same thing, and allows for the same degree of vagueness. In other words, do something like turning it into Yamato saying something along the lines of having "taken precautions" with Sai's luggage.
そうですねえ。。。still, the problem of how to make it suitably vague remains... suggestions are welcome.

I'll throw a few off the top of my head to get things rolling (and lets be rolling people).

"And I'd taken those precautions at the hot springs for just such eventuality... " problem: doesn't directly link Yamato's actions to Sai.

"And I'd rigged his things at the hot springs just in case this happened..." problem: rigged...hmmm....

"Looks like what I added to his luggage at the hot springs is not gonna do me much good..." loses the "ichiou/oita"  nuance, but ties in very nicely with the sentence that follows.

Awaiting feedback from you guys. Mods, feel free to chime in with your own thoughts.

Ryoma_Echizen

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, I totally missed this in my translation. It makes sense now why Sai would toss his stuff, lol.

やっぱりガエル様と岩様の実力は別の次元ね。 :smile-big

-Ryoma Echizen

Nihongaeri

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I should have just said what I was thinking yesterday, but I have serious self-esteem issues...

Anyhow, 299 confirmed my interpretation... The 仕込み is still on Sai somewhere (i.e. it isn't in the stuff that Sai dropped). If it were that Yamato (木分身版) had noticed that the 仕込み got dropped, then it should have been アイツには一応温泉地で仕込んでおいたのにな instead...

In other words, Yamato's words there are something along the lines of "I have already taken the precaution of doing wadda-dee-wadda to Sai and/or his belongings, but whatever... If it's a chase they want, then I'll give them one"... The このままで is semi-superfluous and doesn't particularly refer the 仕込み being neutralized.

Iwanin

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Nihongaeri said:
I should have just said what I was thinking yesterday, but I have serious self-esteem issues...

Anyhow, 299 confirmed my interpretation... The 仕込み is still on Sai somewhere (i.e. it isn't in the stuff that Sai dropped). If it were that Yamato (木分身版) had noticed that the 仕込み got dropped, then it should have been アイツには一応温泉地で仕込んでおいたのにな instead...

In other words, Yamato's words there are something along the lines of "I have already taken the precaution of doing wadda-dee-wadda to Sai and/or his belongings, but whatever... If it's a chase they want, then I'll give them one"... The このままで is semi-superfluous and doesn't particularly refer the 仕込み being neutralized.
Yeah, I'd also figured there should have been a "noni" in there, but the rest of Sensei's assumption sounded reasonable enough, so... I guess the "maa ii ka!" is more like a "Yeah he's a traitor, but whatever".

But yeah, upon reading 299, I PMd a corrected version to Terra, which I now reproduce. I know you don't normally rig a person, but using the verb allows me to remain ambiguous just in case it's not a mere tracking device.

Yamato: Yeah, I’d taken care to rig him at hot springs, just in case...

Yamato: Well, whatever! I'll just follow.

Yamato: Truth be told, I'm more capable at trailing than not.

Anyhow, further suggestions are welcome but no longer imperative. Thanks again for all your help, everyone - especially you, Nick! :)