Misc Attempt - Help with Cleaning a HQ Raw | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Misc Attempt Help with Cleaning a HQ Raw

Dimitria~

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I typeset, clone, translate, and whatever, but I'm new in the word of scaning and Cleaning a Raw.
I tried some leveling, but I ALWAYS find a defect (stain, too clear, etc..) Ç_______Ç
I'm using tankobon raws :)
I upload a page that I cleaned.
If you guys could give me some tips, tricks, etc, I would be VERY Happy *----* :amuse

http://i54.tinypic.com/i6bdsj.png
http://i54.tinypic.com/mo808.png

Luffyua

Reaction score
Country
India
Can you please, if you can. Tell me the source of your raws? ^^

zidane

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Scan in a higher definition if you want to save all the dark grays. Preferably 3000px height or more - a 300px/inch resolution in other words, or 400 even. You also won't get around some manual work - like actually using the pen tool or polygonal lasso tool to select some of the dark areas and level them individually, at least from what I can tell with the one page you provided.

Last edited:

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
As zidane said, you might want to adjust your scanning process first. I put a piece of black construction paper behind my pages when I scan them. It prevents bleed-through from the other side of the page.

Once you've got the precleaning done, just zoom in and go over the page to get the manual stuff. Anything out of place or smudgey, lines or text removal. Just do your thing and it'll get done eventually. Tank raws go quick.

Dimitria~

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude;2207332 said:
As zidane said, you might want to adjust your scanning process first. I put a piece of black construction paper behind my pages when I scan them. It prevents bleed-through from the other side of the page.

Once you've got the precleaning done, just zoom in and go over the page to get the manual stuff. Anything out of place or smudgey, lines or text removal. Just do your thing and it'll get done eventually. Tank raws go quick.
Thanks. I'm gonna try this *--*

achika

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Eh from what I see, the page wasn't level enough for the white part that's why they were gray smudges around. You can easily remove this during levelling and I don't see any problem aside that.

When you scan, you might want to adjust the setting for brightness a little bit higher so that the back doesn't really show up during scanning. Just a tip. :)

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
When you scan, you might want to adjust the setting for brightness a little bit higher so that the back doesn't really show up during scanning. Just a tip. :)
That's kind of dangerous advice. You have to be careful with that. Adjusting the brightness could help the whites at the expense of the blacks.

achika

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude;2218480 said:
That's kind of dangerous advice. You have to be careful with that. Adjusting the brightness could help the whites at the expense of the blacks.
I'm not sure if I should agree with that cause all this time I scans no such things happen. ^^' Actually it is all up to an individual how they want to scan their RAWs. I prefer it when my scans are clean for the white part and then I just need to focus on the blacks. The same thing if I done nothing to the brightness where I in the other hand need to focus on the whites. However your advice on putting black cover is a wise one indeed.